All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By highhuber
I just want to know the easiest way to do this. Hand typing in coordinates seems time consuming. Could you be a little more specific with your instructions Davis. I just got the 6030 and am a computer hack. How do I make a list of waypoints in GE? and then transfer it to the 6030? I haven't had time this week to give any of this a try.
Can I put them on an SD card or is using the cable the way to go??

If you have an easier way let's hear it Jono. Many people would love this info I would think.

Thanks, Scot
By Wonder Boy
davisstraub wrote:Or you can follow my simple steps.
That worked well.
Turning into a gpx file was easy. Im ready for Texas

Thanks.
Mike
By Wonder Boy
Although saving mine to kml, gps dump says there are "no waypoints found"
Which tells me I'm doing something wrong.

Mike
By NMERider
Wonder Boy wrote:Although saving mine to kml, gps dump says there are "no waypoints found"
Which tells me I'm doing something wrong.

Mike
That's what I was saying. I have recorded a narrated screen capture video that shows the basics and a few handy tricks. I'm rendering it now and will upload soon.
By davisstraub
Kinsley, I was going to mention it again, but thought the topic was GE.

Yes, if you do a single point you will get the no waypoints found message, but if you do multiple (as I showed) you won't (or at least I don't). Like I said you can use GPSBabel to do a conversion of the KML file produced by GE. It is too bad that GE doesn't allow you to write (just read) a GPX file (at least as far as I can tell).
Hand typing in coordinates seems time consuming.

Which is what the previous video showed and was laughable.
How do I make a list of waypoints in GE?
Just click the Placemark icon and then drag the icon around to the point that you want. Keep doing this. You can then drag and drop them into a list in the Places view (on the left).
and then transfer it to the 6030?
Use GPSDump and the cable.
Can I put them on an SD card...
Yes. I haven't done this. I assume that if you convert the waypoint file to CUP format, the 6030 can read it.
By mbadley
Google Earth to Google Dump: I have the same problem with having no waypoints - even after I've saved several waypoints in a single place file (kpl).

Anyway, I can't seem to figure out how Flychart uploads waypoints to the 6030 either (I just got the dang thing and am going to have to go to night school to figure it out...) I can upload the config files and make all the page option choices, but waypoints just seem to hit a blinking red light (on flychart) and no data goes over.

A basic video on how to do all this (working with Google Earth, waypoints, flychart and the 6030) would be very useful.
By davisstraub
I never use Flychart to upload waypoints to the 6030 or for anything else for that matter.
By mbadley
So.... I downloaded the north Austin kpl file and opened it up in GPS Dump - and voi-la! There are waypoints! I looked at that file and compared it against my local Google Earth kpl file of places - and I see nothing in the folders or properties that look any different than the north Austin file in Google Earth - BUT when I try to open my LOCAL place (kpl) file in GPS Dump it says 'No Waypoints Found'... So whatzupwidat?? I'm sure it is something simple...?
By JimLahey
You may have all solved this after 4 years but any way. I had the same problem trying to open the google earth kml in gps dump with it saying, empty file. I named the folder inside the google earth places kml "Waypoints" then it would recognize all the waypoints in gpsdump. I don't know why this works, I just noticed the naming of the folder on another waypoint kml that worked and did the same.