All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By TomGalvin
mark selner wrote: i thought a higher performance glider would handle the higher winds.the steep banking thing i was having fun.i wanted too see if i could get to 90 degrees i think i did it at one moment.yes i was experimenting.
Find a seasoned pilot to give you some pointers. You will have more fun. Knowing you are at 90 and doing it right is way more satisfying than guessing you are in the neighborhood.
By atag
If you find it blowing hard on launch, it's a good exercise to practice ground handling the glider. Let it rise up a little bit and control the glider while keeping your feet on the ground. If you can't control the glider while on the ground, you have no business trying to launch into that air.
By mark selner
atag wrote:If you find it blowing hard on launch, it's a good exercise to practice ground handling the glider. Let it rise up a little bit and control the glider while keeping your feet on the ground. If you can't control the glider while on the ground, you have no business trying to launch into that air.
yes that makes sence
By mark selner
TomGalvin wrote:
mark selner wrote: i thought a higher performance glider would handle the higher winds.the steep banking thing i was having fun.i wanted too see if i could get to 90 degrees i think i did it at one moment.yes i was experimenting.
Find a seasoned pilot to give you some pointers. You will have more fun. Knowing you are at 90 and doing it right is way more satisfying than guessing you are in the neighborhood.
:goodidea:
By s15
Mark, here is latest news from Brazil about 10 year experienced pilot who made minor error close to the slope and died. Please leave yourself more margin when you fly, flying close to the slope and banking is risky. As one on the pilots summarized it
What you see is what happens to all pilots who leave too little margin for error and then make a minor error. The pilot died because of very minor error when there was no margin for error.

Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... z2MAadhEVC
By dave hopkins
s15 wrote:Mark, here is latest news from Brazil about 10 year experienced pilot who made minor error close to the slope and died. Please leave yourself more margin when you fly, flying close to the slope and banking is risky. As one on the pilots summarized it
What you see is what happens to all pilots who leave too little margin for error and then make a minor error. The pilot died because of very minor error when there was no margin for error.

Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... torder=asc start=40#ixzz2MAadhEVC
That kid make a huge error. Doing batics next to the hill is stupid! People often say how a great a pilot he was but doing dumb stunts close to the hill is playing russian roulette. You are going to crash, it's just a matter of when.
Great pilots don't take stupid risk. Having great skill at flying a glider and having good judgement are different. Often take yrs for the two to come together.
He had been flying for 10 years. Just a kid with H-3 syndrome. Had he survived he would be wiser. Maybe some day he would be a great pilot. Very sad !

Dave
By 1htalp9
dave hopkins wrote:
s15 wrote:Mark, here is latest news from Brazil about 10 year experienced pilot who made minor error close to the slope and died. Please leave yourself more margin when you fly, flying close to the slope and banking is risky. As one on the pilots summarized it

Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... torder=asc start=40#ixzz2MAadhEVC
That kid make a huge error. Doing batics next to the hill is stupid! People often say how a great a pilot he was but doing dumb stunts close to the hill is playing russian roulette. You are going to crash, it's just a matter of when.
Great pilots don't take stupid risk. Having great skill at flying a glider and having good judgement are different. Often take yrs for the two to come together.
He had been flying for 10 years. Just a kid with H-3 syndrome. Had he survived he would be wiser. Maybe some day he would be a great pilot. Very sad !

Dave
:ditto:
One could argue that there are no small errors if it costs you your life. Doing aerobatics that close to the ground is a huge miscalculation... it is sad and unfortunate that it cost him his life... but certainly not unforeseeable.
By Flyking
Mark: This thread keeps going so I decided to watch your last landing to see if you are ready for a T-2. IMO if you tried to land a T-2 like you did the glider you were flying in the video you would of taken out one or two downtubes and had a rib, shoulder, or possible neck injury. I hope you take this serious. Landing a topless glider is way different then landing the glider you are currently flying. My hope is you take the T-2 to the training hill and find out B 4 you go out and try a XC flight. Fly safe :popcorn:
By mark selner
Flyking wrote:Mark: This thread keeps going so I decided to watch your last landing to see if you are ready for a T-2. IMO if you tried to land a T-2 like you did the glider you were flying in the video you would of taken out one or two downtubes and had a rib, shoulder, or possible neck injury. I hope you take this serious. Landing a topless glider is way different then landing the glider you are currently flying. My hope is you take the T-2 to the training hill and find out B 4 you go out and try a XC flight. Fly safe :popcorn:
yes i do plan on that. i also need to stop landing in a cross wind.thank you for your thoughts.
By mark selner
1htalp9 wrote:
dave hopkins wrote:

Dave
:ditto:
One could argue that there are no small errors if it costs you your life. Doing aerobatics that close to the ground is a huge miscalculation... it is sad and unfortunate that it cost him his life... but certainly not unforeseeable.
yes that was so sad.vary terrible.
By mark selner
Eteamjack wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 am Wow! From my perspective that was a very entertaining flight.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
ya it was fun..time flys its been along time since this flight
By miraclepieco
It has been my observation that timid souls will often warn against anything which they themselves lack the skills to do.
Had we listened to the naysayers of the early 1970s, we'd still be avoiding 360-degree turns.
By Tormod
miraclepieco wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 am It has been my observation that timid souls will often warn against anything which they themselves lack the skills to do.
Had we listened to the naysayers of the early 1970s, we'd still be avoiding 360-degree turns.
Mostly pilots warn about things they see OTHERS lack the skills to do.
By DMarley
Yeah, and don't launch into any wind strength that is slightly more than what you need to get up above the ridge.... that schit is dangerous.
Not to mention finding yourself over a dusty or corny or wheatie by a good margin.... dangerous stuff!
Heck. Just don't launch! HG is too dangerous, period. Especially for someone that hasn't been taken advantage of by seedy 'professional' instructors (not indicating that every professional instructor is seedy).
Take up placid wade-pool paddling or something. Or better yet, bowling or golf. I'd still wear a football helmet, though! :roll:

Mark, you're all right in my book. Too bad there aren't other pilots in your area to enjoy flying with. I find it's far more fun mixing it up in the air with others (birds and hg-pilots).

Keep 'em flyin'! :thumbsup:
By DMarley
miraclepieco wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 am It has been my observation that timid souls will often warn against anything which they themselves lack the skills to do.
:thumbsup: