All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Tormod
Everyone likes to talk about safety to justify there lack of balls.
??? Care to explain what not wanting to see a fellow pilot getting hurt has to do with lacking courage?
By brian scharp
mark selner wrote:
brian scharp wrote::shock: When flying fast enough to penetrate your PIOs became so out of contrlol, you appeared to surrender and do 360s. If you launch in stonger winds, or if it builds while you're in the air, you will have trouble.

I'm not an insrtuctor, but an old HG pilot. At the very least , launch in weaker winds. Use a wind meter. Practice flying fast when it's not a life-death situation.

Brian
well not really.i turn if I want.its easy to stop rocking I just like
it :ahh:

The first time I was too focused on your control inputs to realize you were OK with the PIOs and enjoying it. Sorry. I watched again and saw that. I still think PIOs are a concern, especially at a shallow slope site in stong winds. In stonger winds, slowing to stop PIOs could result in being blown back. The lift band will start to lower at some point too.

Brian
By FMAN
It's not going to be very easy to convince me PIO'S are for fun, sorry. :roll:

brian scharp wrote:
mark selner wrote:
brian scharp wrote::shock: When flying fast enough to penetrate your PIOs became so out of contrlol, you appeared to surrender and do 360s. If you launch in stonger winds, or if it builds while you're in the air, you will have trouble.

I'm not an insrtuctor, but an old HG pilot. At the very least , launch in weaker winds. Use a wind meter. Practice flying fast when it's not a life-death situation.

Brian

The first time I was too focused on your control inputs to realize you were OK with the PIOs and enjoying it. Sorry. I watched again and saw that. I still think PIOs are a concern, especially at a shallow slope site in stong winds. In stonger winds, slowing to stop PIOs could result in being blown back. The lift band will start to lower at some point too.

Brian
By FMAN
Most hang gliders nowadays require light touch and truly using weight-shift control inputs.

The older gliders, 60's and early 70's era, didn't have adverse effects from gripping the control frame too tightly.
By tom emery
Just wondering how many crashes you've had? How long you been flying? Are you a USHPA member? I am a low hours pilot, so I won't critique that flight.
Everyone does it differently. Hope you are successful.
By mattboy
smokenjoe50 wrote:Mark I'm glad you are having fun. I learned the same way. Don't let these negative people get you down. Everyone likes to talk about safety to justify there lack of balls. If flying was safe everyone would do it. You are going to love that T2. I only had about 60 flights when I started flying my T2C and I'm still alive. Call me I would like to come fly that site with you.
Joe correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mark should know a bit about you.

Joe was an experienced paragliding pilot before he took up HG, I think he has his pilots license and is able to HG 2-3 times a week to stay current.

In other words he's got some really good aviation experience and decision making (something I don't have yet). I don't know what your experience is and I don't have enough air time to critique your flying, but people are seeing things that you are doing that are a very real danger to yourself.

They are being blunt because they've seen too many people get hurt or die in this sport and they don't want that to happen to you. Be safe and get a mentor.

I drive a little over an hour to fly Crestline/Marshall with the guys there. I drove 5 hours each way for my hanggliding training last year. It was well worth it and I learned a ton. You seem to have the basics, but there's always more to learn and there's no reason why it has to be "beginner" training. You'll progress much faster under an instructor. Even Olympic athletes have trainers.

"Survival at hang gliding requires patience more than anything else." -Ken de Russy

Have you tried flying any other glider? From what I hear you trade some of the "fun" for the high performance of the T2, and I don't know about you, but I fly for fun. You have the rest of your life to fly, so why rush things?
By old newbie
smokenjoe50 wrote:Mark I'm glad you are having fun. I learned the same way. Don't let these negative people get you down. Everyone likes to talk about safety to justify there lack of balls. If flying was safe everyone would do it. You are going to love that T2. I only had about 60 flights when I started flying my T2C and I'm still alive. Call me I would like to come fly that site with you.
Oh come on Joe wasn't it the lack of balls that caused you to stop flying bags? Wish I could get south and go fly with you.

That back pack arrangement looks a bit sketch with the harness support trying to get caught under it. I am not sure but looked like he is missing a strap across his back on that harness.

Steve
By mark selner
brian scharp wrote:
mark selner wrote:

Brian

Brian
:)
By mark selner
FMAN wrote:It's not going to be very easy to convince me PIO'S are for fun, sorry. :roll:

brian scharp wrote:
mark selner wrote:well not really.i turn if I want.its easy to stop rocking I just like

Brian
ok
By mark selner
mattboy wrote:
Joe correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mark should know a bit about you.

Joe was an experienced paragliding pilot before he took up HG, I think he has his pilots license and is able to HG 2-3 times a week to stay current.

In other words he's got some really good aviation experience and decision making (something I don't have yet). I don't know what your experience is and I don't have enough air time to critique your flying, but people are seeing things that you are doing that are a very real danger to yourself.

They are being blunt because they've seen too many people get hurt or die in this sport and they don't want that to happen to you. Be safe and get a mentor.

I drive a little over an hour to fly Crestline/Marshall with the guys there. I drove 5 hours each way for my hanggliding training last year. It was well worth it and I learned a ton. You seem to have the basics, but there's always more to learn and there's no reason why it has to be "beginner" training. You'll progress much faster under an instructor. Even Olympic athletes have trainers.

"Survival at hang gliding requires patience more than anything else." -Ken de Russy

Have you tried flying any other glider? From what I hear you trade some of the "fun" for the high performance of the T2, and I don't know about you, but I fly for fun. You have the rest of your life to fly, so why rush things?
well soon its going to be cross country season.so im going too need speed if im going to get some distance.
By mark selner
old newbie wrote:
Oh come on Joe wasn't it the lack of balls that caused you to stop flying bags? Wish I could get south and go fly with you.

That back pack arrangement looks a bit sketch with the harness support trying to get caught under it. I am not sure but looked like he is missing a strap across his back on that harness.

Steve
my back strap is on look at the jacket.the back pack is great to have for water. :)
By Flyking
Joe: I'll say the same to you :surrender: Fly safe @ only 60 flights I would wonder who would sell a T-2-C to you ? I will pray for you :? IMO Flying a topless glider is not about lack of balls it's about flying experiance :roll:
By old newbie
Flyking wrote:
Joe: I'll say the same to you :surrender: Fly safe @ only 60 flights I would wonder who would sell a T-2-C to you ? I will pray for you :? IMO Flying a topless glider is not about lack of balls it's about flying experiance :roll[quote
s rt of a flying community and does not needlongdistance armchair quarterbacks..

We are not all the same and have different backgrounds and experience and progress at different speeds. I swear if you read this forum you might conclude you need to fly a training hill for three years on a falcon. I know we have all seen pilots get in over their heads and have problems and maybe we have also. The problem is we often come across as patronizing.

Steve Forslund
By blindrodie
Well...

At least I'll know what "Mark" everyone has been talking about.

Steady as she goes there Mark. Being a natural doesn't mean you know everything.

8)
By TomGalvin
mark selner wrote:well soon its going to be cross country season.so im going too need speed if im going to get some distance.
Actually you will need to be able to thermal consistently to the top of the lift to get distance. If you can't work weak lift well in a falcon, then a topless is ego bling.
By mark selner
tom emery wrote:Just wondering how many crashes you've had? How long you been flying? Are you a USHPA member? I am a low hours pilot, so I won't critique that flight.
Everyone does it differently. Hope you are successful.
my first.i was in sink.i pulled in for speed and couldnt clear a big bush so i flared onto it and went over and rolled up side down.the second i had a mid air colision and deployed landed on the top of a pine tree.rolled over that one to all the way to the ground.the third i launched without leg loops.i did a hang check but i had my feet in the harness so i didnt realize they wernt on i didnt crash or wack but i had to run. :surrender:
By mark selner
TomGalvin wrote:
mark selner wrote:well soon its going to be cross country season.so im going too need speed if im going to get some distance.
Actually you will need to be able to thermal consistently to the top of the lift to get distance. If you can't work weak lift well in a falcon, then a topless is ego bling.
yes i will be always learning.ill hope for strong lift every were i go.
By mark selner
blindrodie wrote:Well...

At least I'll know what "Mark" everyone has been talking about.

Steady as she goes there Mark. Being a natural doesn't mean you know everything.

8)
yep ill take it easy im no natural with too much to learn.
By filthy
You know, I've been spending way to much time reading his post and looking at his videos and thinking about Marks flying, maybe more than him? I'm under the impression that he doesn't really want any help. I haven't seen many post from him asking any questions about how his landings,etc. are or how to improve. I think he just wants to be told how bitchin he is for teaching himself. And telling himself how stupid we are to spend any money for instruction? Now I might be wrong here but I think we are wasting our time.

To be honest the only reason I am saying anything to him I guess , is not because I'm worried about him, (don't wish to see anyone get hurt) its that I love hanggliding. I don't want someone messing up our already flimsy insurance co. issues, helping us look worse to the media etc. Or pounding into someones house so that they close Ord and Blackhawk launches.
Now my understanding of the USHPA is that we are self regulating. Maybe we should not placate someone who is this (?). But maybe I'm over stating this a bit? My 2 cents whether I want to spend it or not.
By Helix
red wrote: Mark,

That quality of launch can get you hurt, or worse. Needs more footprints.
Glider PIOs when going fast, don't it? (The P stands for Pilot.)
Everybody here wants to see you succeed, please believe that.
Not many here are hopeful about that outcome.
What you do not know is what is dangerous.
If it were me, I'd drive a long way, to learn what is needed to avoid getting racked up.
A mentor now could preserve your health, and/or life.

Best wishes.
Good tidings from a fellow H2, Mark :)

Looks like Dan DeWeese granted your H2 back in July 2012. Why not perhaps hook up with DeWeese and fly some sites together?
Would be a win-win -- share gas costs, share good company, hear good hang gliding stories from Dan, create more good hang gliding stories together :mrgreen:

I hope to fly together with you some day, Mark.
Take care ~

Warmly,
Helix
USHPA #92449