All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By tom emery
Interesting history. I've had my share of "mistakes". We all have. It is what you do to mitigate the chance of repeating them or making new ones that separates us. I went back for more instruction. My revelation was Rob telling me his favorite part of flying was the transition from earth to air. I wasn't appreciating that. He told me many pilots don't. Now I do. That is the value of instruction.
If you don't place a "value" on that, then it won't matter what anyone says.
I hope you have an awakening soon.
How long have you been flying?
Are you a member of USHPA?
By DBrose
tom emery wrote: I hope you have an awakening soon.
uh yeah....
By dave hopkins
filthy wrote:You know, I've been spending way to much time reading his post and looking at his videos and thinking about Marks flying, maybe more than him? I'm under the impression that he doesn't really want any help. I haven't seen many post from him asking any questions about how his landings,etc. are or how to improve. I think he just wants to be told how bitchin he is for teaching himself. And telling himself how stupid we are to spend any money for instruction? Now I might be wrong here but I think we are wasting our time.

To be honest the only reason I am saying anything to him I guess , is not because I'm worried about him, (don't wish to see anyone get hurt) its that I love hang gliding. I don't want someone messing up our already flimsy insurance co. issues, helping us look worse to the media etc. Or pounding into someones house so that they close Word and Blackhawk launches.
Now my understanding of the USHPA is that we are self regulating. Maybe we should not placate someone who is this (?). But maybe I'm over stating this a bit? My 2 cents whether I want to spend it or not.
It's like when teenagers get their licence. Some survive learning and some don't. At least there are no passengers. Maybe he will grow up before he gets busted up. Most of us did. Slowly the lights come on. Good luck mark! you will need it.
When I started they gave me about two months but I'm still here.

dave
By Spark
Mark, I admire the zeal that you have for our sport, and I'd hate for you to be injured.

I echo and agree with the advice already provided.

I made many of the mistakes you have made when I was teaching myself.

In particular, I have been 'blown back' into the lee-side rotor and crashed because I misjudged the stength of the winds above launch, and the venturi effect of the terrain. Not once, but twice.

I survived these episodes (and others) only through sheer luck, and avoided future mistakes by listening and heeding the advice of the pilots who witnessed and would comment. I was fortunate to meet a few really good mentors. That was before the internet and the availability of good information.

I wish you luck, and I implore you to seek wisdom and discernment.

I hope to fly with you some day in the future.
By mark selner
Spark wrote:Mark, I admire the zeal that you have for our sport, and I'd hate for you to be injured.

In particular, I have been 'blown back' into the lee-side rotor and crashed because I misjudged the stength of the winds above launch, and the venturi effect of the terrain. Not once, but twice.

I survived these episodes (and others) only through sheer luck, and avoided future mistakes by listening and heeding the advice of the pilots who witnessed and would comment. I was fortunate to meet a few really good mentors. That was before the internet and the availability of good information.

yes ive been talking too many people getting lots of input.all making sense.yesterday i launched in the same conditions and i pulled all the way in tell i was far out in front.i got a real treat.i got to fly in a shear line.is what i was told.it was a little bumpy but cool i went all over the place.from deep creek to my house i still cant get over it. :ahh:
By mark selner
dave hopkins wrote:
filthy wrote:You know, I've been spending way to much time reading his post and looking at his videos and thinking about Marks flying, maybe more than him? I'm under the impression that he doesn't really want any help. I haven't seen many post from him asking any questions about how his landings,etc. are or how to improve. I think he just wants to be told how bitchin he is for teaching himself. And telling himself how stupid we are to spend any money for instruction? Now I might be wrong here but I think we are wasting our time.

To be honest the only reason I am saying anything to him I guess , is not because I'm worried about him, (don't wish to see anyone get hurt) its that I love hang gliding. I don't want someone messing up our already flimsy insurance co. issues, helping us look worse to the media etc. Or pounding into someones house so that they close Word and Blackhawk launches.
Now my understanding of the USHPA is that we are self regulating. Maybe we should not placate someone who is this (?). But maybe I'm over stating this a bit? My 2 cents whether I want to spend it or not.
It's like when teenagers get their licence. Some survive learning and some don't. At least there are no passengers. Maybe he will grow up before he gets busted up. Most of us did. Slowly the lights come on. Good luck mark! you will need it.
When I started they gave me about two months but I'm still here.

dave
yes i agree.im glad for all the crtiqueyi stuff.well except the nose in the air stuff.didnt help at all.
By mark selner
tom emery wrote:Interesting history. I've had my share of "mistakes". We all have. It is what you do to mitigate the chance of repeating them or making new ones that separates us. I went back for more instruction. My revelation was Rob telling me his favorite part of flying was the transition from earth to air. I wasn't appreciating that. He told me many pilots don't. Now I do. That is the value of instruction.
If you don't place a "value" on that, then it won't matter what anyone says.
I hope you have an awakening soon.
1 yr..yes i am..and my alarm clock went off.
By jorgeFly
Mark I am proud of you!! I do not know you, but you have taking the extensive criticism and questions and responded to every one of them the is very admirable.

I hope to fly with you one day.
Jorge
By tom emery
You are definitely on a fast track. One year and you are flying a t2? I just got an Ultra Sport. Must be an age thing. I am 57. We old farts don't move as fast as we used to, plus we can't afford to break bones. They don't heal as fast as they used to. [/u]
By mark selner
tom emery wrote:You are definitely on a fast track. One year and you are flying a t2? I just got an Ultra Sport. Must be an age thing. I am 57. We old farts don't move as fast as we used to, plus we can't afford to break bones. They don't heal as fast as they used to. [/u]
well im going to take it easy with flying the t2.i want good conditions to launch and land.dont want to break bones or down tubes.
By mark selner
jorgeFly wrote:Mark I am proud of you!! I do not know you, but you have taking the extensive criticism and questions and responded to every one of them the is very admirable.

I hope to fly with you one day.
Jorge
thank you. ill try to do the right things.and were all in the air with the wind under our wings. :)
By s15
Mark, the wind seemed to be too strong to me for the wing you were flying. It was not a safe flight. You must realize that yourself when you have put your VG on, the wing was going faster, but also started oscillating and for me you were making 360 turns too close to the slope and with too much of bank angle for these strong conditions. I hope you understand that on full VG, the wing will be much less controllable and can slide to the side of even stall on considerably higher speeds. When you were doing turns, it is important to maintain proper speed, It seemed that you were close to a stall and spin at some point. Sorry, but the flight did not look safe to me at all. I suggest you always assess wind and weather conditions carefully and before making the decision for take off. Buy a small wind meter, they are very cheap (for example these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... er&_sop=15), but it will give you a good idea of the conditions and how strong are the wind gusts. Hang gliders DO have limitations for safe speed flying and the weather is most important factor to consider before making a decision to fly. I wish you safe flying.

Oleg
By mark selner
s15 wrote:Mark, the wind seemed to be too strong to me for the wing you were flying. It was not a safe flight. You must realize that yourself when you have put your VG on, the wing was going faster, but also started oscillating and for me you were making 360 turns too close to the slope and with too much of bank angle for these strong conditions. I hope you understand that on full VG, the wing will be much less controllable and can slide to the side of even stall on considerably higher speeds. When you were doing turns, it is important to maintain proper speed, It seemed that you were close to a stall and spin at some point. Sorry, but the flight did not look safe to me at all. I suggest you always assess wind and weather conditions carefully and before making the decision for take off. Buy a small wind meter, they are very cheap (for example these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... er&_sop=15), but it will give you a good idea of the conditions and how strong are the wind gusts. Hang gliders DO have limitations for safe speed flying and the weather is most important factor to consider before making a decision to fly. I wish you safe flying.

Oleg
a wind meter will be great.i think i could be mistaken but i thought a higher performance glider would handle the higher winds.the steep banking thing i was having fun.i wanted too see if i could get to 90 degrees i think i did it at one moment.yes i was experimenting.the pio stuff i went at its top speed with out pio.but i can see the other perspective.im going to get a wind thing.
By mark selner
mark selner wrote:
s15 wrote:Mark, the wind seemed to be too strong to me for the wing you were flying. It was not a safe flight. You must realize that yourself when you have put your VG on, the wing was going faster, but also started oscillating and for me you were making 360 turns too close to the slope and with too much of bank angle for these strong conditions. I hope you understand that on full VG, the wing will be much less controllable and can slide to the side of even stall on considerably higher speeds. When you were doing turns, it is important to maintain proper speed, It seemed that you were close to a stall and spin at some point. Sorry, but the flight did not look safe to me at all. I suggest you always assess wind and weather conditions carefully and before making the decision for take off. Buy a small wind meter, they are very cheap (for example these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... er&_sop=15), but it will give you a good idea of the conditions and how strong are the wind gusts. Hang gliders DO have limitations for safe speed flying and the weather is most important factor to consider before making a decision to fly. I wish you safe flying.

Oleg
a wind meter will be great.i think i could be mistaken but i thought a higher performance glider would handle the higher winds.the steep banking thing i was having fun.i wanted too see if i could get to 90 degrees i think i did it at one moment.yes i was experimenting.the pio stuff i went at its top speed with out pio.but i can see the other perspective.im going to get a wind thing.
there cheep 5.00
By FMAN
WHERE'S THE VIDEO MARK?

mark selner wrote:
Spark wrote:Mark, I admire the zeal that you have for our sport, and I'd hate for you to be injured.

yes ive been talking too many people getting lots of input.all making sense.yesterday i launched in the same conditions and i pulled all the way in tell i was far out in front.i got a real treat.i got to fly in a shear line.is what i was told.it was a little bumpy but cool i went all over the place.from deep creek to my house i still cant get over it. :ahh:
By FMAN
I have a Dwyer, it works good!

mark selner wrote:
mark selner wrote:

Oleg
there cheep 5.00
By flybop
Wanted to see if you could get to 90 degrees? WTF? When is the last time you made a practice throw of your chute?

Just when you showed a tiny bit of a glimmer that you just might be ready to show some judgement, a bit of a better attitude and you go and say that.

Dude, do you realize how quickly the stuff can hit the fan and you can die, do you really? Oh wait, you already have had three accidents... that we know of.
By mark selner
flybop wrote:Wanted to see if you could get to 90 degrees? WTF? When is the last time you made a practice throw of your chute?

Just when you showed a tiny bit of a glimmer that you just might be ready to show some judgement, a bit of a better attitude and you go and say that.

Dude, do you realize how quickly the stuff can hit the fan and you can die, do you really? Oh wait, you already have had three accidents... that we know of.
:crazy: :oops:
By mark selner
FMAN wrote:WHERE'S THE VIDEO MARK?

mark selner wrote:

dead battery :cuss:
By mark selner
mark selner wrote:
FMAN wrote:WHERE'S THE VIDEO MARK?

mark selner wrote:yes ive been talking too many people getting lots of input.all making sense.yesterday i launched in the same conditions and i pulled all the way in tell i was far out in front.i got a real treat.i got to fly in a shear line.is what i was told.it was a little bumpy but cool i went all over the place.from deep creek to my house i still cant get over it. :ahh:
dead battery :cuss:
i checked the wifi back pack and it had full battery but it dose not give power to the camera :x im going back to the old back pack.