All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By FMAN
The turbulence you experience above where you launched is evidence that strong wind conditions aren't very good for that launch area. There is better terminology for what the wind is actually doing but turbulent is a decent explanation.
By jyoder111
I don't know the pilot's situation or history, but solely from the video:

Everything looked pretty well controlled, given the high wind situation. Launch conditions looked a little scary. I wouldn't have flown, but it looked somewhat smooth at least.

Shortly after launch, it looks to me like you weren't fighting the PIO but rather just going with it. Later in the video are plenty of examples where you were flying fast without PIO, so it does seem like you were just enjoying the S turns for a while.

Would have liked to see the landing approach. Again, I wouldn't have flown with those high winds, but I don't think you need quite the wrist-slapping you've received here. It is the .org, though, after all.

Jesse
By miguel
Another vote for not flying alone. If something were to happen, you might become a skeleton surrounded by gaily colored dacron and aluminum.
By Darbbb
jyoder111 wrote:I don't know the pilot's situation or history, but solely from the video:

Everything looked pretty well controlled, given the high wind situation. Launch conditions looked a little scary. I wouldn't have flown, but it looked somewhat smooth at least.

Shortly after launch, it looks to me like you weren't fighting the PIO but rather just going with it. Later in the video are plenty of examples where you were flying fast without PIO, so it does seem like you were just enjoying the S turns for a while.

Would have liked to see the landing approach. Again, I wouldn't have flown with those high winds, but I don't think you need quite the wrist-slapping you've received here. It is the .org, though, after all.

Jesse
Jesse, I think the wrist-slapping here has more to do with his backstory. If you watch his other videos you will see some other very sketchy launches and scary landings. Also, he taught himself to fly last year and has already stepped up to a T2. And he always flies alone. Etc.

Brad
By FMAN
Or find out the hard way that hospital food doesn't taste very good! :idea: :mrgreen:
By Spitfire
Darbbb wrote:
jyoder111 wrote:
Jesse, I think the wrist-slapping here has more to do with his backstory. If you watch his other videos you will see some other very sketchy launches and scary landings. Also, he taught himself to fly last year and has already stepped up to a T2. And he always flies alone. Etc.

Brad
I still don't understand why someone would give him an H2 sign off unless things changed thereafter.
By peanuts
his instructor/ whoever signed that off must be very proud
By jorgeFly
On a positive note, great that you focus on flying not on the harness. :thumbsup:
By dayhead
Hey Mark, Steve here.

When it's windy you're generally better off to launch where the hill is steeper.

Remember the wind has both a horizontal and a vertical component as it blows up the hill.

When you launch up at the top where the slope is shallow, you'll have more horizontal wind than you will vertical wind.

Walk down another 50 or 100 feet to where the slope is steeper. You'll be launching in more vertically moving air, and you'll make more headway and gain altitude more quickly.
By Flyking
Mark as I have suggested in the past I still think Its important that you fly safe. :shock: We dont want you to have an accident :shock: . It only takes a second in strong winds to stall and get turned back into the hill. Fly with other pilots :roll: . Who sold you the T-2 ? IMO based on your flying experiance you probably should not fly a T-2 for at least one or two more years. :ahh: :ahh:
By Paraglider Collapse
Looked like a good flight. I have been where you are, out there going for it alone because you have a stronger desire to fly than others. If you stay safe, your desire will take you far in hang gliding.
By smokenjoe50
Mark I'm glad you are having fun. I learned the same way. Don't let these negative people get you down. Everyone likes to talk about safety to justify there lack of balls. If flying was safe everyone would do it. You are going to love that T2. I only had about 60 flights when I started flying my T2C and I'm still alive. Call me I would like to come fly that site with you.
By mark selner
smokenjoe50 wrote:Mark I'm glad you are having fun. I learned the same way. Don't let these negative people get you down. Everyone likes to talk about safety to justify there lack of balls. If flying was safe everyone would do it. You are going to love that T2. I only had about 60 flights when I started flying my T2C and I'm still alive. Call me I would like to come fly that site with you.
yes lets fly.looks like saterday its west at 15 + i hope the wind reports accurate :)
By mark selner
Paraglider Collapse wrote:Looked like a good flight. I have been where you are, out there going for it alone because you have a stronger desire to fly than others. If you stay safe, your desire will take you far in hang gliding.
yes safty first.dont want to break a down tube.
By mark selner
Flyking wrote:Mark as I have suggested in the past I still think Its important that you fly safe. :shock: We dont want you to have an accident :shock: . It only takes a second in strong winds to stall and get turned back into the hill. Fly with other pilots :roll: . Who sold you the T-2 ? IMO based on your flying experiance you probably should not fly a T-2 for at least one or two more years. :ahh: :ahh:
yes safe.
By mark selner
dayhead wrote:Hey Mark, Steve here.

When it's windy you're generally better off to launch where the hill is steeper.

Remember the wind has both a horizontal and a vertical component as it blows up the hill.

When you launch up at the top where the slope is shallow, you'll have more horizontal wind than you will vertical wind.

Walk down another 50 or 100 feet to where the slope is steeper. You'll be launching in more vertically moving air, and you'll make more headway and gain altitude more quickly.
hi steve its on again saterday at ord 14+ at ground so probably 20+ at launch not quit as windy as this launch.come if you can.
By mark selner
jorgeFly wrote:On a positive note, great that you focus on flying not on the harness. :thumbsup:
safty first.
By mark selner
peanuts wrote:his instructor/ whoever signed that off must be very proud
:)