All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By red
mark selner wrote:
red wrote:
mark selner wrote:but the year is just starting http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cOpyH8YtKM :)
Mark,
That quality of launch can get you hurt, or worse. Needs more footprints.
Glider PIOs when going fast, don't it? (The P stands for Pilot.)
What you do not know is what is dangerous.
If it were me, I'd drive a long way, to learn what is needed to avoid getting racked up.
A mentor now could preserve your health, and/or life.
Best wishes.
ya the rocking back and forth i could fight it but i enjoy it.i kinda go with it.
Mark,

PIOs only happen because you fight it. If you still fly a year from now,
that video will make you laugh, or maybe cuss.

:mrgreen:
By mark selner
red wrote:
mark selner wrote:
red wrote: Mark,
That quality of launch can get you hurt, or worse. Needs more footprints.
Glider PIOs when going fast, don't it? (The P stands for Pilot.)
What you do not know is what is dangerous.
If it were me, I'd drive a long way, to learn what is needed to avoid getting racked up.
A mentor now could preserve your health, and/or life.
Best wishes.
ya the rocking back and forth i could fight it but i enjoy it.i kinda go with it.
Mark,

PIOs only happen because you fight it. If you still fly a year from now,
that video will make you laugh, or maybe cuss.

:mrgreen:
ya it will :lol: but my moma told me no cussing
By mark selner
Eteamjack wrote:Wow! From my perspective that was a very entertaining flight.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
it was great wasnt cold untill i got realy high then i froze my face.
By brian scharp
:shock: When flying fast enough to penetrate your PIOs became so out of contrlol, you appeared to surrender and do 360s. If you launch in stonger winds, or if it builds while you're in the air, you will have trouble.

I'm not an insrtuctor, but an old HG pilot. At the very least , launch in weaker winds. Use a wind meter. Practice flying fast when it's not a life-death situation.

Brian
By Jason
YOU ARE 1 HR FROM CRESTLINE.........get instruction.....you are going to kill yourself if you keep this up,
By DBrose
Mind over matter, if one doesn't have a mind then it don't matter.
Call me a wimp but if that was me I would not find that flight fun, scaring myself I don't find fun , but maybe some do.
By PilotGuy
I've been mostly away from this site for a long time. I didn't know that there was another self taught guy trying to learn the ropes. Mark, that video was hair raising. Congrats on remaining airborne, but if you keep flying like that (mushed launch, getting blown towards the back, flying in too strong winds) it won't end well.
mark selner wrote:]i think im the only one in the high desert that fly`s i ask from time to time but well its hard i gus i live along way from any flyers :cry:
I live in the desert (Mojave) and there's a group of us that fly together somewhat regularly. There's a fantastic site in Palmdale, but it's only good from October through March, so we're near the end of the season. We also fly in Tehachapi, Garlock, California City, and elsewhere because we have a winch and we do towing. Our group includes a former top 10 ranked US pilot and another pilot who literally wrote the book on flying. As long as you don't plan on killing yourself on our watch, please feel welcome to come fly with us and learn from us.

Welcome to the sport! :welcome:

PM me.
By brian scharp
PilotGuy wrote:I've been mostly away from this site for a long time. I didn't know that there was another self taught guy trying to learn the ropes. Mark, that video was hair raising. Congrats on remaining airborne, but if you keep flying like that (mushed launch, getting blown towards the back, flying in too strong winds) it won't end well.
mark selner wrote:]i think im the only one in the high desert that fly`s i ask from time to time but well its hard i gus i live along way from any flyers :cry:
I live in the desert (Mojave) and there's a group of us that fly together somewhat regularly. There's a fantastic site in Palmdale, but it's only good from October through March, so we're near the end of the season. We also fly in Tehachapi, Garlock, California City, and elsewhere because we have a winch and we do towing. Our group includes a former top 10 ranked US pilot and another pilot who literally wrote the book on flying. As long as you don't plan on killing yourself on our watch, please feel welcome to come fly with us and learn from us.

PM me.
:goodidea: :thumbsup: That's a great offer. :mrgreen:

Brian
By filthy
Obviously you have some talent ! But there is a lot to learn in hanggliding . What is a broken bone, or worse , worth to you? Maybe driving an hour or two?
By mark selner
brian scharp wrote::shock: When flying fast enough to penetrate your PIOs became so out of contrlol, you appeared to surrender and do 360s. If you launch in stonger winds, or if it builds while you're in the air, you will have trouble.

I'm not an insrtuctor, but an old HG pilot. At the very least , launch in weaker winds. Use a wind meter. Practice flying fast when it's not a life-death situation.

Brian
well not really.i turn if I want.its easy to stop rocking I just like it :ahh:
By mark selner
Jason wrote:YOU ARE 1 HR FROM CRESTLINE.........get instruction.....you are going to kill yourself if you keep this up,
ok
By mark selner
DBrose wrote:Mind over matter, if one doesn't have a mind then it don't matter.
Call me a wimp but if that was me I would not find that flight fun, scaring myself I don't find fun , but maybe some do.
:roll:
By flybop
Very admirable efforts to help teach this guy how to not kill himself. Flying skills can be taught and learned, however, an attitude like Mark's can not be changed. No matter what skills he develops or learns his attitude will be the same.

Mark, what you do not or what you think you know can kill you.
By mark selner
PilotGuy wrote:I've been mostly away from this site for a long time. I didn't know that there was another self taught guy trying to learn the ropes. Mark, that video was hair raising. Congrats on remaining airborne, but if you keep flying like that (mushed launch, getting blown towards the back, flying in too strong winds) it won't end well.

Sounds fun
PM me.
:thumbsup:
By mark selner
filthy wrote:Obviously you have some talent ! But there is a lot to learn in hanggliding . What is a broken bone, or worse , worth to you? Maybe driving an hour or two?
:thumbsup:
By Dan Harding
Mark, take some advice from us old guys with some crashes under our belt. Get a buddy to fly with, even if it means driving a couple of hours, we do it here in the NorthWest all the time. It looked like in this video that you could barely penetrate against the wind. When you first launch your shadow is actually moving backwards on the ground, maybe you should not launch that wing into a wind that is blowing that hard? Continuing to do so will no doubt bite you in the ass, or worse. I have to say after watching you do this, you have some skill as a pilot, but you are pushing your luck also. I hope I'm not coming across as a "know-it-all" kind of guy, I just want you to keep flying and develop the skills you are cultivating safely.
By Willmrx
mark selner wrote:
Willmrx wrote:Why are you trying to kill yourself? :crazy:
nope.
You are very foolish for sure. Good luck with your mind set!
By FMAN
Very few pilots would launch into wind that strong without a wire crew. :roll:
By DBrose
FMAN wrote:Very few pilots would launch into wind that strong without a wire crew. :roll:
exactly.....
By Jason
DBrose wrote:
FMAN wrote:Very few pilots would launch into wind that strong without a wire crew. :roll:
exactly.....
or with........