All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By lapdog
Dude, I would core the crap out of that puppy :lol:
By GTPilot
a few weeks back i flew a sail plane toward one which was about as fat as that, but not as tall, .. it appeared in front of me when i was about 3k feet just losing altitude to enter the pattern.

since it was already in my path, i wanted to see what it felt like as i got closer but i thought i'd have to be nearly on top of it to really feel it since the top of it was so far down. i was wrong. it was about 2000 feet in front of me, and the top was maybe 1000 below me when the turbulence began. as i turned the plane 180 degrees i got a nice bump that would have probably put a hole in the canopy if i wasn't strapped in.

it's funny how no matter how much you read or are taught about stuff like that, it will never teach you like 1st hand experience will :)
By jellolion
This is near Hemet, CA. Temps that day were around 110 F. This monster emerged in front of me and stopped traffic dead as car-sized scrub brush was ripped out of the ground and thrown down on to the cars on the road in front of me. I snapped this one with my cell phone. Right after I took this, another one emerged beside me, the same size. It left too quickly and I didnt get a good shot. Hemet is like a furnace in the summer, and the convergence comes through mid day making it a great spot for these giants.