All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By sweetie13
Hi guys and gals, I have a SERIOUS CONCERN before I go for hang gliding. I am only 56 inches tall(almost 5 feet) and I weigh 130 lbs. Will this make it very hard for me to lift the glider and takeoff and land with it? One manufacturer said this to me: "Yes, your height will make it difficult for you to lift the glider high
enough off the ground to be able to run with the glider in order to
launch it. Even on the smallest gliders, the basetube is about 56 inches
below the glider, and for training, there are normally wheels on the
basetube which make this distance even greater. Most pilots shorter than
64 inches have trouble lifting the glider high enough to launch." What can I do? Is there ANY hope? Or should I go to paragliding?

By Flyking
Please don't go to the dark side. :evil: Contact Lisa Tate president of the USHGA. She is about your size and can give you some good advice :) www.LisaTateGlass.com . Tell her K.C. sent you :P :P
By op
Which manufacturer did you talk to?

I would think that your shoulder width where the downtubes meet would still make it possible. There are several females who I would guess to be 5'2" or so which fly regularly at my local club.

Call your local instructor and ask if you can try to pick up a Falcon 145.
By dievhart
it depends on how bad you want it......
you will get people telling you your too small......don't buy it.....
when you are ready to buy your own wing you could customize your control frame (a little) to even make it easier....
Diev
By noman3
learn to tow.
By CHassan
Hmmm, I don't remember how tall MrsP is. I know Wills Wing attempted to make her Falcon 145 user friendly for the smaller people. Possible making the transition for all the 145's.

Of course I know nothing other than what was posted here (click)
By pike
Like Norman said, learn to aerotow. Take off and land on the wheels. No problem!
By hiflioz
I have a friend who is about an inch taller than you, flying an advanced glider until recently. She flew a number of small gliders over the last 25 years, many with modified A-frames. It's not just your overall height to take into account, but the proportions of shoulder-hip-ankle, the width of your shoulders, the length of your arms an other things. All these combine in a way that will make gliders sit differently when you are groundhandling, learning and launching.

THe key for you will be to find a school that has a small glider. A fun 160 or Falcon 170 will be too big for you. I understand Mrs P had a Falcon 145, PLUS a modified A-frame. You could learn on a standard F145, but if you have a few lessons and decide that yes, this definitely is for you, you could buy a glider with a small A-frame to complete your learning. Don't buy one before starting your training in case you find it's not for you; OTOH, it's definitely worth getting one part way through if you're sure after a few lessons because the right sized glider will make learning much easier for you.

Remember, it's not your size that's the problem, it's the *fit*. You will learn as well as a 6' bloke if your glider fits you correctly. Corrinna Schwiegershausen, the current women's world champion HG pilot, is not much taller than you. Make the effort to find the right school with the right equipment, and everything will fall into place.

Good luck!
By Avnav8r
Hey,

Mrs. Poser did get her A-frame modified on her F-3 145. She seems to like it (hey Judy are you out there to chime in?) .The 9 Meter Pulse has a small frame as well. The biggest problem I've seen with many shorter pilot is the the inability to get the basetube very high off the ground during launch. A knowledge dealer can probably get the A-frame modification done for you.

John Stokes

www.osceolabaldeagle.com
By FormerFF
CHassan wrote:Hmmm, I don't remember how tall MrsP is. I know Wills Wing attempted to make her Falcon 145 user friendly for the smaller people. Possible making the transition for all the 145's.

Of course I know nothing other than what was posted here (click)
MrsPoser is 5' 2", but really small framed. Wills Wing provided a narrowed top bracket for her Falcon 3. LittleWing is 5' 0", flies a stock Falcon 140, and does very well, I might add.
By Jareth_Atian
I've only had one lesson thus far, but at 5'2" I didn't have any trouble carrying or running with a WW Condor. There are plenty of wings designed for lighter pilots. I'm sure that you'll be fine!
By bisleybob
i know a disabled guy who cant use his legs and he flies a hanglider he earotows with wheels np.
i remember one day he hit a fence on landing we ran over asking are you ok and he shouted back OMG i cant feel my legs ...oh wait thats normal.
funny guy.

if you are the kind of person that can easily be put off by one persons advice then give up now :wink:
By CAL
at your weight you should not take up hang gliding, because with your sink rate you will out sky us all, we all have fragile egos here and hate it when new pilots get higher then us :lol:

Get with an instructor and give it a try, i have seen small pilots do awesome, Des Voight is a smaller pilot, when she cleared her wire crew , i thought the wind would pick her right up, but she held the nose down and ran better then any of us :thumbsup:
By sweetie13
Hi guys, you've been great. I appreciate your responses. The guy who said I'm too small for this is someone from Wills Wing, and somehow, I refuse to beleive that someone my height cannot do this. Which is the best route to take from here? I cannot buy a new glider now, so would scooter or aerotowing be better? I really want to get all the hang glider ratings, but I confess, I just don't know what to do here now. How should I go about this? In my State, NY, I don't think they have towing, only foot launching.

Also, if hang gliding isn't feasbile in the end, would you say go for paragliding instead? Is that a good option? I heard paragliding is easier and fun.
By Darbbb
Sweetie13

My wife and I have been taking scooter tow lessons. My wife is slightly less than 5'2, and weighs less than 120, and she has been doing great, with no problems, on a Falcon 145.

B
By CAL
sweetie13 wrote:Hi guys, you've been great. I appreciate your responses. The guy who said I'm too small for this is someone from Wills Wing, and somehow, I refuse to beleive that someone my height cannot do this. Which is the best route to take from here? I cannot buy a new glider now, so would scooter or aerotowing be better? I really want to get all the hang glider ratings, but I confess, I just don't know what to do here now. How should I go about this? In my State, NY, I don't think they have towing, only foot launching.

Also, if hang gliding isn't feasbile in the end, would you say go for paragliding instead? Is that a good option? I heard paragliding is easier and fun.
your instructor will have all you need to get you started all you need to do is show up he will take it from there

i have heard that hang gliding is harder to learn but easier to get good at it, para gliding is easier to learn but harder to get good at, i am only a hang glider pilot having the time of my life. hg pilots can fly in stronger conditions which is a safety barrier if when you are flying the conditions get stronger, if you live near Elenville NY Paul Voight has great instruction and will take good care of you, PM Flyhigh013 for more info :thumbsup:
By Windlord
:welcome:
Do not get discouraged by one opinion. Wills Wing does have a mod for the
Falcon for smaller folks.
Foot launch and towing, try them both and see which one you prefer.
Might take a tandem flight with an instructor to get a taste of what you are shooting for.
From what I've heard, the New York Crew will be able to help you.
Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:
By sweetie13
Hello all, you make good sense. I'm gonna try to schedule a lesson next week. What do you think of mountain wings hang gliding with greg black? Or do you prefer fly high hang gliding instead?

How does scooter towing help if you're still using your feet?

Some ppl have recommended paragliding for me b/c of my height and weight. I never knew paragliding is so dangerous. the elliptical wing looks so much like a parachute and you can always deploy a reserve parachute if you're falling.
Valle De Bravo Flight

It looks like you had some Good Flying. I hope th[…]

Hey Brosig, I hope you don't mind that I hijack[…]

I've applied to join the Facebook FLPHG group. I […]

Hang gliding is one thing, but paragliding is just[…]