All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By mwhitmire
Update: While trying to find the entrance to the launch I stumbled across none other than Melvin Wood (I believe that was his name)...the gentleman who used to grate the road to launch every year back when the site was active. He said he could redo the whole road for around $2000 (max) and that he has the land owners contact information. He also said he didn't see why he (land owner) wouldn't let us fly from there again...all we need to do is find an LZ. He also informed me that he remembers when pilots made flights to Virginia from this launch...very far! Considering I can find an LZ would anyone be willing to donate to have this site re-opened?
By FormerFF
I'll never fly there, but I'm good for $50.
By johnpeace
I would like to see this happen...what's the next step, how can I help (without spending a lot of money)?
By pjwings
I can definitely help out with some $ and with some help scouting around if you like.
By Nibs
Too far away for me, esp considering it supports only NW and SE (there are NW and SE facing launches in the Chattanooga area which is closer to me). That said, I DO hope you are able to get it re-opened and if you do I will definitely make a special trip out there to see it.

What we REALLY, REALLY need in the TN/GA area is a good SW facing site. We haven't had one since long before I started flying.
By Windlord
mwhitmire wrote:Update: While trying to find the entrance to the launch I stumbled across none other than Melvin Wood (I believe that was his name)...the gentleman who used to grate the road to launch every year back when the site was active. He said he could redo the whole road for around $2000 (max) and that he has the land owners contact information. He also said he didn't see why he (land owner) wouldn't let us fly from there again...all we need to do is find an LZ. He also informed me that he remembers when pilots made flights to Virginia from this launch...very far! Considering I can find an LZ would anyone be willing to donate to have this site re-opened?
Don't mention anything about USHPA. Keep it a local deal. :thumbsup:
Good luck and keep us posted.
By mwhitmire
FormerFF wrote:I'll never fly there, but I'm good for $50.
Why would you never fly there? The XC possibilities are phenomenal! You don't live that far away...
By mwhitmire
pjwings wrote:I can definitely help out with some $ and with some help scouting around if you like.
johnpeace wrote:I would like to see this happen...what's the next step, how can I help (without spending a lot of money)?
We won't worry about the money part of it until we know for sure that we can find an LZ. That is the most pressing issue since the land owner of the launch seems cool with it. I'd say the first thing we need to do is hike up the road to the top and see if we can scout possible LZ's and then get in touch with the people who own them to see if we can use them since the original LZ has been developed.

If someone wants to try taking a 4x4 up the road that would work...I think...but I don't have one to try it out. It's a pretty good hike so if anyone is interested in it I can set aside a whole day to walk up it and check it out from the top to see what all is involved in getting it back up, and of course for scouting out an LZ.

PM me for my phone/email and we'll try to figure out a good day to go up there and look around. I wanted to hike up it when I was there previously but my girlfriend wasn't having that...she had on the heels...
By TN_Steve
If this thing goes, you can count on me for a couple of hundred. Even it it's farther away than LM or Dunlop, I like the idea of having a site up there. Seems like there could be a good source of potential pilots at UT.

Does the USHGPA have a 'Site Development Program'? Seems to me that since part of it's mission statement is to grow the support I would think that they would benefit from an opportunity to provide seed money and expertise to help with this.

Steve
By mwhitmire
Nibs wrote:Too far away for me, esp considering it supports only NW and SE (there are NW and SE facing launches in the Chattanooga area which is closer to me). That said, I DO hope you are able to get it re-opened and if you do I will definitely make a special trip out there to see it.

What we REALLY, REALLY need in the TN/GA area is a good SW facing site. We haven't had one since long before I started flying.
True about needing a SW site...but since this is a good bit up the road from the other sites that are NW and SE there is a good possibility that if the others are blown out that this one might be launchable. I certainly don't have to remind anyone here how much winds can change across small areas...much less areas that are 100 miles apart. But hey if you find any possible SE sites close to me let me know and I'll go check them out!
By keithps
Nibs wrote:Too far away for me, esp considering it supports only NW and SE (there are NW and SE facing launches in the Chattanooga area which is closer to me). That said, I DO hope you are able to get it re-opened and if you do I will definitely make a special trip out there to see it.

I thought TTT was in talks about opening a SW site across from Hensons above Hwy 111?
By FormerFF
mwhitmire wrote:
FormerFF wrote:I'll never fly there, but I'm good for $50.
Why would you never fly there? The XC possibilities are phenomenal! You don't live that far away...
Time and scheduling. I still haven't made it to Lookout this year, and there have been three or four good flyable weekend days already. I'm maybe being a little pessimistic, but it's very hard for me to get away from home. If you guys get it open, maybe someday.

Actually, make it $100. :thumbsup:
By johnpeace
I'd be way more excited to see Chilhowee 'open' again. It's a west facing 2000' ridge over an hour closer to my house than LMFP or Henson's. It also has the whitewater center, fantastic mountain biking and the chilhowee glider port right there.

It sounds like there are some trees that need trimming/felling to make it safe. I'm going up there soon for a mtn. bike trip and will make it a point to go check out the launch and take some pictures and see how much work it would be. Then I guess I could inquire with the forest service about what it would take to get it done.
By Nibs
keithps wrote:I thought TTT was in talks about opening a SW site across from Hensons above Hwy 111?
No, we gave up on that. The land owner has a special agreement with hunters who lease it during the hunting season and part of that agreement is that no one else gets to use it during the non-hunting season. The hunters want the deer to live free and be healthy fat and happy so they can slay them.
By Nibs
johnpeace wrote:I'd be way more excited to see Chilhowee 'open' again. It's a west facing 2000' ridge over an hour closer to my house than LMFP or Henson's. It also has the whitewater center, fantastic mountain biking and the chilhowee glider port right there.

It sounds like there are some trees that need trimming/felling to make it safe. I'm going up there soon for a mtn. bike trip and will make it a point to go check out the launch and take some pictures and see how much work it would be. Then I guess I could inquire with the forest service about what it would take to get it done.
I'm pretty sure that Chilhowee is still a very active paraglider site. I was there a year or two ago and it was quite busy. A friend of mine flew it that day but I didn't because I didn't like the LZ (for hang gliders).
By johnpeace
Yeah, I got an email from the SPP president saying as much.

They (the PG) aren't flying there so much anymore because they have better sites (for PG) closer by.

I haven't walked the LZ but I would imagine there are a lot of potential HG LZs available that are bigger/longer/flatter/less obsctructed.

Something I'd like to look deeper into...it's a great mountain and a good deal closer (probably closer for you too).
By snipesack
The current owner of the old Clinch Mountain (locally known as Joppa Mountain) launch site is named Ken Rush, who purchased most of the land along Joppa Mountain in 2007. I understand the road to the launch site is now in pretty descent condition, but no one has used the site in almost 30 years. There is still an old steel grate launch at this site that was built in the mid 1970's.

Not sure if he would be open to its use. The phone number on the posted signs is 865-935-9350.

The launch site coordinates are 36°15'23.92"N 83°37'58.20"W.
By Love2Glide
Chillhowee is a great site. I once lived 8 miles from the launch and flew the site almost every week weather permitting. Great glass-offs and an occasional convergence, also good thermal and ridge soaring in general.

The LZ is relatively easy IMHO, although can be a bit intimidating due to the power lines and trees, but it really is fairly large. It might be a bit tight for a topless...but if you are flying a topless you should be able to land there! I would often fly up to the glider-port to land just for fun and a short XC.
By maaglide
I'm one of those old-time Clinch pilots, from ~77-80 or so. I think the GPS waypts given previously are where we used to launch, using both NW and SE launches, but I sure dont remember the tower just to the north. Back then we rarely soared the SE side given the low thermalling performance of the gliders, but we had great fun on the NW side. I had though Bruce Hawk opened up a different launch farther south, but that was after I had left the area.

FYI, we also used to fly a couple of SE sites down by Harriman, also a good SE site La Follette, and a great NW site at English Mtn. Maybe you are already familiar with that history, but thought I'd ramble on a bit.

Good luck with your efforts to reestablish the Clinch site. The landowners along the NW valley were very nice back in the 70's - seems like there should be plenty of LZ choices w todays gliders-?

Mark Allen