All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Roadrunner71
-https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobo-Triton- ... thena=true

- Chris McKeon here. Well in my effort to regain mobility. i am looking into maybe getting myself a trike. i think that a recumbent Trike might be a good thing for me to pursue.

Does any one have any thoughts regarding these Recumbent Trikes? Guys I know that a Trike is not a Glider. I should most likely be looking somewhere else for feedback regarding pedaled powered transportation. But I thought, on the DOT ORG there very well might be some guys, or Gals, who are active in riding. Yes, on the ORG I might get some good feedBack.

So, Please give me your thoughts, Chris 925-497-1059
By g billow
Chris,
I know very little about it other than I think it might be a great thing for you. Doesn't sound like much chance of tipping over and a good opportunity to be outside and active. Perhaps worth a try, maybe you'll really like it. I wish you good luck.
By red
Roadrunner71 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:40 pm -https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobo-Triton- ... thena=true
- Chris McKeon here. Well in my effort to regain mobility. i am looking into maybe getting myself a trike. i think that a recumbent Trike might be a good thing for me to pursue. Does any one have any thoughts regarding these Recumbent Trikes? Guys I know that a Trike is not a Glider. I should most likely be looking somewhere else for feedback regarding pedaled powered transportation. But I thought, on the DOT ORG there very well might be some guys, or Gals, who are active in riding. Yes, on the ORG I might get some good feedBack.
So, Please give me your thoughts, Chris 925-497-1059
Chris,

Okay, good idea, but sorry my friend, that one just ain't your trike. It has *one* brake, on the wheel with the least weight, so that wheel is the easiest wheel to skid. If the front wheel locks and skids when braking hard, you lose all steering control until you release the brake. That trike has NO suspension at all, so any bumps in the road will hit you hard in the tailbone. No kind of helmet will protect your brain from a hard kick in the tail, such as a pothole or a steep driveway. That trike looks like it has one speed, like a little kid's tricycle, kinda slow. They bill it as a "youth" trike in the ad. It will be hard to steer straight, when pedaling hard. The only place that trike would be okay for you is indoors, like in a stadium or airplane hangar.

You need better brakes, and a full suspension system on your trike. Suspension on the seat itself would be good, too. NMErider here rides a lot. He can get you in gear, if anybody can.

The pedaling is still a great idea for you. You can search the thrift stores for a stationary recumbent exercise unit, for now. Start searching also, for the road-wise trike that you need.

Best wishes,
By cnesmith
Chris, I have a Terratrike Gran Tourismo. They have several models of varying cost. You can add electric assist also to get up steep hills.

http://www.terratrike.com/gt.php

This is a "tadpole" trike, i.e. two wheels up front and one in back, 16 speeds, dual front disc brakes. It doesn't have full suspension but there is enough flex in the design that I am comfortable with the ride. Cost me two grand one year ago for the trike alone, and then a few hundred extra in accessories the most important of which were clip in pedals/shoes to increase peddling efficiency and to ensure that your feet do not fall off the pedals when you are riding so that you will not run over your leg.

The trike is fun, downhills are like riding a go cart. Very stable but you can overturn it if you go too fast around a corner. They are slower than road bikes especially up hill, so you will get passed a lot.....I like not having to worry about falling over because of slippery surfaces such as leaves and pine needles etc. I don't wear a helmet but I ONLY ride on bike trails.

As Red pointed out, you will very likely be disappointed in the walmart trike. You are going to have to spend at least 1500 for a quality recumbent tadpole trike.

Chuck NeSmith
By NMERider
Roadrunner71 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:40 pm - Chris McKeon here. Well in my effort to regain mobility. i am looking into maybe getting myself a trike. i think that a recumbent Trike might be a good thing for me to pursue.

Does any one have any thoughts regarding these Recumbent Trikes? Guys I know that a Trike is not a Glider. I should most likely be looking somewhere else for feedback regarding pedaled powered transportation. But I thought, on the DOT ORG there very well might be some guys, or Gals, who are active in riding. Yes, on the ORG I might get some good feedBack.
Hi Chris,
If it's not too far, please pay a visit to an old acquaintance of mine who has been selling recumbent bikes and trikes for decades if it's not too far. He's in Alameda. Zach Kaplan is extremely knowledgeable and may be able to fix you up with a good quality used trike. At least you should be able to get a test ride in. http://www.zachkaplancycles.com/
Cheers,
Jonathan
By USHPA7
I had the very first Greenspeed recumbent trike (tadpole type) shipped to the United States from Australia. I added suspension to the front wheels but I'm sure that this many years later Greenspeed would have a full suspension trike (if they are still being made, that is). I haven't looked at them in many years so I don't know present day status. It was very well made and a joy to ride but at the high end of pricing.

You should only consider the tadpole type of recumbent trikes because if you start taking a turn too fast you can brake to bring the lifting front wheel down. If you do that on a traditional rear wheel trike you are going over fast!

Frank
By red
USHPA7 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 pmYou should only consider the tadpole type of recumbent trikes because if you start taking a turn too fast you can brake to bring the lifting front wheel down. If you do that on a traditional rear wheel trike you are going over fast!
Frank
Frank,

I know of two different trike designs, tadpole (one rear wheel) and delta (one front wheel). I would agree that the tadpole design is much more stable in braking turns than the delta design. Just to be clear, when you say "conventional rear wheel trike," did you mean to say "delta?"
By USHPA7
Yes.
But many people think of the two wheels in the rear as the conventional trike and the two wheels n front as unusual or "backward" hence the common term "reverse trike". I don't think that, but I was using the terms that I thought most people would relate to.

Delta and tadpole are more descriptive of the configuration but some people won't recognize those terms.

Thanks for adding those to the terminology of my posting.

Here's the fully electric tadpole, dual sport, trike I built:
e-trike at Eddy Gulch Saddle.jpg
e-trike at Eddy Gulch Saddle.jpg (338.72 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Frank
By red
USHPA7 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:29 pmYes.
But many people think of the two wheels in the rear as the conventional trike and the two wheels n front as unusual or "backward" hence the common term "reverse trike". I don't think that, but I was using the terms that I thought most people would relate to. Delta and tadpole are more descriptive of the configuration but some people won't recognize those terms. Thanks for adding those to the terminology of my posting. Here's the fully electric tadpole, dual sport, trike I built:
download/file.php?id=28264
Frank
Frank,

Impressive! 'Way to GO! 8)
Please check your PM.
By Roadrunner71
Thanks Guys for the thoughtful responses. I do not know which type of a Trike that I will end up pedaling around. But I know that a Pedaled powered Trike is in my Future. Thanks again for your Guys imput.
By Roadrunner71
Well Guys:

I just now got off the phone where I Spoke withe Zack Chaplin: We discussed my T-B-I and my Desire to be able to regain my Mobility once again. I also spoke with my Brother John, who coincidentally had previously also had recommended Zack for a source for me to look into getting a recumbent Trike from to me. Well, I do want to thank Jonathan for giving me me This Heads-up regarding my acquiring a recumbent Bike.

By lizzard
Chis,

The recumbent bicycle would make a reasonable trike for a good handling glider like a falcon.

I dont know the extent of you abilities but trikes have given flight back to many ex hangies.

You can make a trike out of anything with wheels ,just think about air loads and ground loads .

your take off surface will dictate suspension and loads but the conventional design has proven its worth... Being able to pedal the thing around could be useful if your legs cant do the fred flintstone braking and taxying.

What ever you, do the front wheel must be slightly higher than the rears in static hang and the thrust line horizontal .

You will need to adjust the bottom wing rigging to rake the bar foward by 100mm or so and add some sleeving to the keel. This may affect the dihedral ...caution.

There are lots of guys here and other places ( yahoo nanilight trikers)who will help.

first flights, no wind and a salt lake or similar
that is how we all used to learn and is still relevant .
It will be agreat adventure and you may be able to design a trike that suits others such as your self.

Dont let convention get in the way of your requirements , and slow speeds dont benifet much from flashy fairings .

I recommend about 20- 30 hp single syslider air cooled pull start ( no electrics to burn).

I have found that an my25 black devil to be the right amount of power for a solid climb .
But they need soft engine mounts to avoid shake fatigue.
By Roadrunner71
Well Guys and Girls: With Yesterday's Check-out Test Ride that I did with Zak Chaplin under my Belt regarding my cHECK-Out tEST ride that i Did over in Alameda under my Belt, THAT I did with zACK Chaplin. it looks like I will be soon be riding a Tadpole style Trike after Christmas Day this Year.

Yes, This Busted Up Predator Pilot will be putting his Body in Motion again. This is just so Cool!
By Roadrunner71
Well as soon as my Brother sends me the Video Clip. I could then Post it on This Site. That is if any of you care to see how a 57 Year old Busted up Predator {ilot rode a Three Wheeled Tadpole lay-out of a Tricycle did when I was riding the Tricycle last Thursday?

I fully realize how many of you will think. "Hel He is putting up a post showing Him riding a Tricycle! Ome on what is it with this Brain Injured Guy anyways?

Well, I am undergoing a Process. A Recovery Process. Little, by little, Bit by bit. I am winning this deal.

The Day will come where I put up a Post of me Flying a Sailplane again. I truly, really want to Finally do something that I have Tried to do in my Predator. I want to get high for once. High is 20,0000 Feet or More.