All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By remmoore
Takeo,

Looks great! I hope you enjoy it.

Can we get more input on this general thread? I think it can be very beneficial for us all to know what others are using.

RM
By cheesehead
Sometimes my Charly Insider, sometimes my Icaro (don't remember model name, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot more protection than a bike helmet), sometimes my half-shell DOT motorcycle helmet (no, it's not that heavy).
By FogWatch
Prana Graffiti Carbon Helmet Size XL. It looks hideous and is twice the weight of my Charly Insider, but I wouldn't put my head anywhere else.
By cheesehead
cheesehead wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm Sometimes my Charly Insider, sometimes my Icaro (don't remember model name, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot more protection than a bike helmet), sometimes my half-shell DOT motorcycle helmet (no, it's not that heavy).
Now remember--the Icaro model is the Iguana.
By TomGalvin
TomGalvin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:33 am
Windlord wrote:
TomGalvin wrote:I just bought a Fox Rampage down hill mountain bike helmet. It's a very lightweight ATSM 1952 certified helmet.
Very nice Tom. Give us a critique on the helmet when you get a chance.
Finally flew with it this week for the first time. <snip> I am happy so far.
Almost two years on, and I am still happy with my purchase. I will probably replace it next season, with either another Fox helmet, or a Kali. It was a significant improvement over the Charly helmet in both comfort and protection.
By DMarley
Too bad this thread wasn't started earlier, or I could have been swayed to purchase a kali. (edit: oh wait... this is not Rem's Kali thread!) October of 2016 I purchased a Charly No Limit (wind screened) on-line for a good price (white helmet). Most everyone at LMFP were using some form of Charly or it's clones, and there were precious few sources providing good suggestions of other non-specific-use helmet examples.

So far I like the Charly No Limit. It fits very well to my noggin. And light weight; didn't notice it's mass on my longest flight so far. Appreciate the quick-acting chin strap mechanism. The chin guard is noticeably stiffer and more substantial compared to the Charly Insider when compared side by side. At least in resistance to my torquing and fondling. Have not needed the clear wind screen while flying yet... almost did once on a frigid day, but elected that the conditions were too boisterous. On humid days my polarized oakleys have a propensity to fog up while scratching on damp mountain slopes, sans wind screen. Don't know if that's a lack of ventilation or just me.

One of my mentors showed me his pair of yellow-tinted safety glasses..... he indicated that they are absolutely GREAT for identifying all sorts of things, like overhead utilities, ground unevenness, sucking cu's, etc., and he says he can even see the thermals through these things! Unbelievable! Got to get me a pair!

But what I really want/need is a new(er) Yaesu. Yeah!
By remmoore
DMarley wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm Too bad this thread wasn't started earlier, or I could have been swayed to purchase a kali. (edit: oh wait... this is not Rem's Kali thread!)
You're right, this is meant to be a much simpler thread about identifying what helmets pilots are using. While I'm a huge Kali fan, this thread isn't really meant to promote one helmet over another - only to identify what we're collectively using.

Keep the input coming!

RM
By jj colorado
Hi, I just got the Kali Alpine and really like it a lot. It is about 200g lighter than the Shiva and lighter than the Charly NoLimit. The lighter weight reduces neck strain on longer flights. The shell is slightly lighter than the Shiva (not carbon fiber), so while it has all the downhill biking ratings, it is not DOT certified, so don't drive your HG on the highway with it. That said it appears to be more crash worthy than most HG rated helmets and it has Kali's version of MIPS type technology to reduce injury due to a twisting or sliding motion.

Great fit, easy to adjust with replaceable pads, light weight, MIPS type protection. Only downside is the price but, you need your head.

Please post where you can get the face shield to add to the Kali helmets. Adding that would make the Alpine perfect, but I can't figure out what face shield to order.
By remmoore
jj colorado wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 amPlease post where you can get the face shield to add to the Kali helmets. Adding that would make the Alpine perfect, but I can't figure out what face shield to order.
This face shield has reportedly fit perfectly on the Avatar line of Kali helmets, and decently on the Shiva. I can't be certain about the fit for the Alpine, but it's looks pretty close to the Avatar. Here's the link to the Bilt Explorer Discovery Adventure face shield, sold through Cycle Gear. At $16.99 for the clear version, it's a great deal. BTW, the tinted versions have a funky lip around the edge that makes them less appealing, but that's your call. I can also help with mounting instruction if you want to PM me.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-exp ... ace-shield
By jj colorado
The Alpine is the updated version of the Avatar. Great helmet. Nice fit, light and easy to install the speaker and mic for radio. Not DOT rated, but has the downhill biking ratings.
Downside is that these helmets are generally not discounted. I called Kali directly and after some discussion they gave me a discount and included different sized pads so I could customize the fit.
By Roadrunner71
Guys, you know these Helmet threads. Well their content Drives me Mad. i read comments such as Motorcycle Helmet, Hang Gliding Helmet, Bicycle Helmet. ETC.

How about having a discussion regarding a Helmets ability to diffuse, to absorb the High-G Shock load that is the result of a Person wearing said Helmet having the wearers of Said Helmet having his or Her's Skull and their precious Brain being subjected to a High G Load. WE need to pursue as that we will have some {REAL DATA} regarding a Helmets ability to perform it's job!

For I am sitting here at my Computer typing away while I comment regarding Helmets. Their Ability to Perform their Job. I had a Helmet that did a Years ago. poor job of defusing the High-G load that was a result of my having pounding my Helmet wearing Skull into the Ground.

I have attemoted to purse the cause as to inadequate Skull-Brain Protection. How about you Guys?
By remmoore
Chris,
Unlike most of the other helmet threads, this one was intended as data gathering only. No critique, just naming our helmets of choice. It’s mostly been just that and would be nice if we could continue in that vein.

RM
By NateHallahan
I think I found a Kali Shiva 2.0 contender for more oval heads.

I ordered a Kali Shiva 2.0 lg and wasn't too happy with the fit, though removing some trim pieces removed the hot spot on the forehead. I also ordered an XL and found the fit to be almost the same. I did some looking around for a comparable helmet that fits a more oval shaped head and found the Leatt GPX and ordered one to try side-by-side with the shiva.

The technology in both helmets is similar: Both have dual layer foam joined by cone shapes, with the softer layer near your head, both have a rotational impact absorbing soft foam against the helmet liner and your head. Kali calls theirs "low density layer" (LDL) and Leatt calls theirs "360° Turbine Technology." The different designs seem to achieve the same goal and the brands probably use the different designs due the techs being proprietary...

Both helmets are DOT certified, the same size, and the same weight! About 1300g for the large. The Leatt fits my oval head better, covers more of my forehead, and is a bit more comfy. It also has a channel in the chin guard for a hydration hose which is pretty convenient if I can put a weak link/joint in the hose.

The things I don't like: The "cool feature" of the Leatt is ventilation, which is the major difference between models 4.5 and 5.5. They have large vents in the back, which to me means less surface area of protection. The 4.5 has less ventilation, it's single vent per side is about the same size as Kali Shiva's three vents per side combined (meaning the Shiva might have better impact distribution and protection from punctures in those areas). The other drawback is the raised features on the back of the helmet (for keeping the elastic bands of goggles in place I think), the Kali Shiva is much smoother. I feel that the less smooth surface may make the rotational system more likely to be needed.

If anyone has tried the Kali Shiva or is thinking about it and has a more oval than round shaped head, the Leatt GPX seems to be a pretty comparable alternative. I'm leaning towards keeping the Leatt GPX because of its better fit and comfort on my head. The 4.5 is also cheaper than the non-carbon Shiva, and a carbon version (the 6.5) is also available.

Video review of the Leatt GPX 4.5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5Uq-tx4tE

And the 5.5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-iG_52IHI

Published DOT test reports for the 4.5
https://www.leatt.com/product_uploads/h ... eports.pdf

Sorry about the direct comparisons between helmets. I'm still making the decision on which to use myself.
By remmoore
Nate,

While I really like the idea of helmet comparisons and critique, this particular thread wasn't designed for that. It's intention is to simply post about what helmets we're using - no judgments, just a statement of choice.

Frankly, I think it would be great to set up a parallel thread with the pros/cons of helmets available - particularly non-HG helmets we're using for flight.

RM
By DMarley
remmoore wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 pm Nate,

While I really like the idea of helmet comparisons and critique, this particular thread wasn't designed for that. It's intention is to simply post about what helmets we're using - no judgments, just a statement of choice.
RM
Whoa Rem.
I found Nate's post highly valuable and timely.
Are you now the moderator?

:roll:
By remmoore
Of course I’m not the moderator, but I created this thread for a specific purpose. It’s meant to be more like a poll than a discussion of merit.

I too like to read and discuss helmet pros/cons but it would be great if we could do it on another thread - there are plenty to choose from...

RM