Post bugs here.
Request any new web site functionality here as well.

Moderators: sg, mods

By DMarley
I don't know if this is only a browser issue (firefox) or this new site issue, but with the old site, every new link created it's own tab which was very helpful. Now, the same tab is used for the link. I do not want my browser to do this on other sites, but I have grown happily accustomed to this forum site creating new tabs for links.

This new visual format is much more screen-area-inefficient. The old site packed more posts onto the viewing area. AND it feels brighter than before. A lot of white space that wears on the eyes.
I understand that you've got a tiger by the tail at this point and there's no going back now. Just pointing out the things I see. Hope you don't loose too many hairs from this upgrade.
-Doug
By sg
I dont understand what this means. Cant parse it. Could you reword/re-explain for me?

What are you calling a "tab"?

Are you referring to the list of active topics that used to be on the home page? (Im working on bringing that back)

DMarley wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 am
I don't know if this is only a browser issue (firefox) or this new site issue, but with the old site, every new link created it's own tab which was very helpful. Now, the same tab is used for the link. I do not want my browser to do this on other sites, but I have grown happily accustomed to this forum site creating new tabs for links.
By Rick M
sg - he's talking about what happens when you click on a link found in any post on this site. On the last version of this site, whenever you clicked a link, the new page was always opened in a new browser tab. With this new version of the site, clicking a link simply loads the new page in the current browser tab (which is how most websites generally work).

If you don't use a web browser that uses tabs, then I have no idea what the old and new behavior was/is.

This new site now works likes most sites in this regard. I think the point being made by DMarley is that many of us are used to how the old site worked. Some people may wish this new site to work like it used to.

Personally, I think the new way is better. I use Safari and if I want a link to be opened in a new tab, all I need to do is to press the Cmd key as I click on the link to force the link to appear in a new browser tab. This is what I do for any link from any site. And now I need to do it with hg.org.
By sg
AHHHHHHH ok I think Rick nailed it.

I was not even aware the old site did this!!! Must have been a bug that only occurred for certain browsers.
It never did this for me.

OK... I rather this work like all other sites.

People who want to open a link in a new tab should hold down the CTRL key when clicking on links ( Windows computers)... or the COMMAND key on a MAc.
By red
For Firefox on Windows, go to the top-line tabs and click on: Tools/ Options/ General/ and check the box that says
"Open new windows in a new tab instead."
By DMarley
Yeah red. Got that long long long time ago. I was just spoiled by the OLD org. Thanks Rick for describing the condition in better terms for SG.
Oh yeah, what about the thumbs up-thumbs down post rating system? Perhaps we should just leave that lay dormant. I'm feeling naughty. Very nasty if fact right about now. Ok... not really, but.... LOL. I'm going to bed. I'll feel better in the morn'.
g'night.

Blue day, makes it tough. Crops were getting very […]

It can, the outriggers fold forward out of the way[…]

Back to westerly winds and Mt Tamborine. A wind sh[…]

Well said Windlord, thanks Col..