Polling threads

Moderators: sg, mods

What do you think about the mods so far?

Improved the site
77%
Made it worse
3%
No effect
10%
Put it back the way it was
10%
By HangHigh
Improved. And I love the random aviation quote on the home page.
By knumbknuts
I give it

out of 5!
By Holger
I didn't have a problem with the old format. But I also appreciate the focus on HG on the front page. What I'm missing now is a page that shows me new postings in the way the front page does. And that page should be 1 click away from anywhere in the forum. As it is now I have to first click on the top breadcrumb link, and then on the "All Forums" button. That's annoying. And then that page doesn't show the helpful details the new postings listing on the front page does. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? As it is, with the multiple clicks and the missing details in the "All Forums" page the new changes were a pretty hefty step back.

Holger
By TomGalvin
Just dump the ads, put up the donate button, provide an all recent posts page for the campfire junkies, and you are golden.
By Holger
TomGalvin wrote:Just dump the ads, put up the donate button, provide an all recent posts page for the campfire junkies, and you are golden.
I bet there are thousands websites that receive donations and haven't incorporated. There is a legal maximum annual amount you can receive as gift and you don't have to tax it. Wasn't it like $5k? Might want to check whether you even have to incorporate. I'm running free websites as well and accept donations and I'm not going to even think about incorporate for this stuff, although I have two corporations. The IRS should keep their paws off this little stuff.

Holger
By ahurst
My vote: SafeSearch off.

I appreciate the front page for newbs might seem better restricted, but certainly it changes the character of the site.
Communal social moderation is healthy.
By Spark
SG I'm behind whatever you think will make this site better, and I'd want to contribute financially.
By Jason
1- i like the changes

2- in order for it to be income you would have to be providing a service on condition of payment wouldn't you? you have been providing a service no doubt, but its been more of "community service"

then again the IRS taxes tips......
By Holger
OK, noted it isn't lawful then. 3/4 Italy isn't. BTW, just for the record, I had the members of my websites donate directly to charity, not me. Not that I wanted to stay out of trouble with the IRS, but that was the easiest for me to contribute to charity: I do the website, they pay for a good cause, done. Then again, I have my sites at Dreamhost and pay $300 a year. Yours is higher volume.

Holger
By Jason
sg wrote:
Jason wrote:1- i like the changes

2- in order for it to be income you would have to be providing a service on condition of payment wouldn't you? you have been providing a service no doubt, but its been more of "community service"

then again the IRS taxes tips......
You know how the IRS is. They consider this a service, period. They define everything as broadly as possible to capture as much tax revenue as they can. I never play in the grey area with the IRS.
a good friend of mine from highschool just started working recently, I asked her where she was working and she wouldn't tell me, then "the man" came out, then "the IRS"

I stopped talking to her(kidding, but i give her s--- about it constantly)
By curly_cue
I really like that the campfire and basement came off of the front page, but I miss having a page where I can see everything like the recent posts page. I enjoy a lot of the campfire threads and now I have to go searching for them.
By rafaelcjr
curly_cue wrote:I really like that the campfire and basement came off of the front page, but I miss having a page where I can see everything like the recent posts page. I enjoy a lot of the campfire threads and now I have to go searching for them.
So just do as some are already doing ....

Posting Campfire stories under Gemeral HG :shock: :roll: :rofl:
By noman
im kind of bummed the camp fire is off the front page but i understand the motives.Now go fly,sg.Its what the doc ordered.
By knumbknuts
rafaelcjr wrote:Posting Campfire stories under Gemeral HG :shock: :roll: :rofl:
I just vote to bury those...

As far as seeing the recent campfire posts, just click view all forum and scroll down and you can see the recent ones.

I've been really impressed at the HG content since these changes were made.