Polling threads

Moderators: sg, mods

How far do you drive to get to your regular hang gliding spot?

0 - I live where I glide
4%
1 to 25 miles
26%
25 to 50 miles
18%
50 to 100 miles
23%
100 to 200 miles
17%
200 to 350 miles
5%
350 or more miles
5%
I have yet to touch the skies
3%
By Fred Wilson
< 2 hours to Tumut (several launches, including Australia's highest launch)

Huh? Flown there lots. Red Hill, over the dam. (Scary glide1st time...) What launch are your talking about here?
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 am, edited 15 times in total.
By Bobfly
Forgot the mileage but it's 9.5 hours at 80 mph. :shock: Time for a powered harness? :surrender:
By Fred Wilson
Okanagan Valley, Kamloops / Cariboo and Revelstoke Regions of British Columbia Canada.
bisleybob wrote:are we talking round trip mileage / time or one way
One way time to launch, Bob. If I have a driver I will fly home 90% of the time. All XC routes here lead to home or onwards. We are so, so lucky.
Awesome place to live and fly, as tige_matt aka Matt Dettman is finding out, having just moved here from Cauli-fornia.

15 mins to Predator Ridge (SE)
20 mins to King Eddie's Baldy launch (NW)
25 mins to Grandview and / or the launch above Vernon Airport's LZ (S)
35 mins to Deep Lake "Secret" launch
40 mins to Coopers (E) and Saddle Mt. "Secret" sites (W, S) in Lumby.
40 Minutes to Vernon Mt (S, SW)
60 mins to Bolleen, Bastion, Black Knight and Sicamous (S)
60 mins to Mara and Stoney Creek (W)
70 mins to Tappen, (NW) Spyder Creek (NW) and Canoe (N, NE)
2 hours to Revelstoke (S, SW)
2.5 hours to the Kamloops area NW of here with Savana (W. Savana Microwave Tower (N) + the interiors highest launches at Cornwall (E) and Sun Peaks (NW)
2.5 hours to Cawston (W) Kobau (E, S, W) and Anarchist (E-SE) and Ripleys (NE) in the Sth Ok valley area
etc etc etc... See our Site Guide: http://www.flyok.ca/phpBB2/index.php?c=5

and those are only the big name, publicly advertized and very local sites near Vernon BC Canada!

tige_matt aka Matt has to add 40 minutes for all sites in the North Okanagan, but gets to chop off 40 minutes for all the ones in the South Okanagan because he now lives in Kelowna, though if he's smart he'll buy a house in Lake Country, half way to Vernon - just like the 1/3 of the Hang Glider pilots in the valley that already live there!

Come over here for a really cheap, fun, camping holiday! Bring a solar shower and / or swim in one of hundreds of local lakes!
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:47 am, edited 17 times in total.
By Fred Wilson
And if you think this is an appealing holiday destination for pilots...

Check out the next main valley east of here: the Kootenays, in SE BC Canada.

I spend a good 2 - 4 months there every year, and its never anywhere near enough.
Glacier Creek (free) Campground east of Meadow Creek is, IMHO paradise.

Next best, is the free campground at Lazy lake below the Wasa flying site

Central and NW BC Site Guide (temporary holding place)

NE BC Site Guide (temporary holding place)
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
By bisleybob
are we talking round trip milage or one way
By DBrose
12 miles to coastal site "table Bluff" and 90 miles to a big ass mountain the WeaverBally near Weaverville trinity co.