.

.

Polling threads

Moderators: sg, mods

What on hanggliding.org is the best for you?

Hang Gliding Videos.
17
18%
Hang Gliding Photos.
No votes
0%
Hang Gliding Site Reports and Site Information.
5
5%
Hang Gliding Flight Reports.
5
5%
Hang Gliding Stories.
8
8%
Hang Gliding History.
2
2%
Hang Glider Product Information.
4
4%
Hang Gliding Events and Happenings.
No votes
0%
Advice for Hang Gliding Pilots, new and old.
34
35%
Hang Gliding Politics and issues.
4
4%
The Campfire / Off Topic Area.
2
2%
Foot Launched Powered Hang Gliding.
3
3%
Other.
12
13%
User avatar
By ChattaroyMan
#345914
Wonder Boy wrote: Yep, they are two different craft flown differently in most conditions.
Have a look here for more info on them http://www.paraglidingforum.com/
They are friendly, dont mind hangs asking questions. you can see the weather & xc topics they deal with. (I'll tell them you're an ok guy :wink:

Imagine their front page and ours combined, too many topics that don't apply to each. Would take away from both sites.
Respectfully disagree. Not much screen real estate is taken up to list topics on this site's home page. I fully believe the benefits of having increased input on mutual topics would outweigh any negatives on navigating the site. The increase in making more contacts in the flying community would be worthwhile alone. I'm just saying that if there were a Web destination with both included and it was done well I'd be spending some time there.
User avatar
By sg
#345917
Internationally, PG pilots seriously out number us by several times.

Opening the gates to PG pilots here would effectively turn this into a PG site, with a little bit of HG.
User avatar
By remmoore
#345921
sg wrote:Opening the gates to PG pilots here would effectively turn this into a PG site, with a little bit of HG.
...just like our magazine. Thanks so much SG, for recognizing it!

RM
User avatar
By David Howell
#346047
Classifieds - Need to add a Wanted Page
User avatar
By ChattaroyMan
#346059
sg wrote:Internationally, PG pilots seriously out number us by several times.

Opening the gates to PG pilots here would effectively turn this into a PG site, with a little bit of HG.
Would it though??? Just thinking off the cuff but HG threads should still be overly dominated by HG pilots (why would a para pilot be chatting about VG?). What about 3 thread lists: HG topics, MUTUAL topics and PG topics all on the main page. I can see greater input on mutual topics but not less on HG topics. If the amount of site visitors were 10/1, PG to HG, who'd really know (or care)? Perhaps you could try it on a separate website - keep this one and try a new one that had both. If $ is to be made from advertising and more visitors to a site means more advertising $ .......

IMHO the future of free flight will go a lot more smoothly and in a positive growth direction if both PG an Hang pilots work for the same goals collectively. It is much easier to do that when they can more easily communicate.
User avatar
By ChattaroyMan
#346060
David Howell wrote:Classifieds - Need to add a Wanted Page
Hi David! Nice to see you here!
Steve
User avatar
By sg
#346064
Im 99% certain a new site that was HG/PG would be completely ignored because paraglidingforums and hanggliding.org already hold dominate positions, and its nearly impossible to unseat a dominate established website.

Why would a PG pilot go to a HG/PG site, when there is already a site more specific to what they do?

Why would a HG pilot go to a HG/PG site, when there is already a site more specific to what they do?

The answer is, they simply wont. If a huge majority of pilots were biwingal, that might not be the case.


Go look at cross country magazine which is PG & HG as a predictor of what would happen to this site if it brought PG into the mix and they actually came.


ChattaroyMan wrote:
sg wrote:Internationally, PG pilots seriously out number us by several times.

Opening the gates to PG pilots here would effectively turn this into a PG site, with a little bit of HG.
Would it though??? Just thinking off the cuff but HG threads should still be overly dominated by HG pilots (why would a para pilot be chatting about VG?). What about 3 thread lists: HG topics, MUTUAL topics and PG topics all on the main page. I can see greater input on mutual topics but not less on HG topics. If the amount of site visitors were 10/1, PG to HG, who'd really know (or care)? Perhaps you could try it on a separate website - keep this one and try a new one that had both. If $ is to be made from advertising and more visitors to a site means more advertising $ .......

IMHO the future of free flight will go a lot more smoothly and in a positive growth direction if both PG an Hang pilots work for the same goals collectively. It is much easier to do that when they can more easily communicate.
User avatar
By Windlord
#346070
Had to vote "other" since there wasn't an "all of the above". Also for the camaraderie, even though it's digital.
I think each category adds to the foundation base. I know there must be some areas that are not used very much and take up space.
User avatar
By CAL
#346071
sg wrote:Im 99% certain a new site that was HG/PG would be completely ignored because paraglidingforums and hanggliding.org already hold dominate positions, and its nearly impossible to unseat a dominate established website.

Why would a PG pilot go to a HG/PG site, when there is already a site more specific to what they do?

Why would a HG pilot go to a HG/PG site, when there is already a site more specific to what they do?

The answer is, they simply wont. If a huge majority of pilots were biwingal, that might not be the case.



Go look at cross country magazine which is PG & HG as a predictor of what would happen to this site if it brought PG into the mix and they actually came.


ChattaroyMan wrote:
sg wrote:Internationally, PG pilots seriously out number us by several times.

Opening the gates to PG pilots here would effectively turn this into a PG site, with a little bit of HG.
Would it though??? Just thinking off the cuff but HG threads should still be overly dominated by HG pilots (why would a para pilot be chatting about VG?). What about 3 thread lists: HG topics, MUTUAL topics and PG topics all on the main page. I can see greater input on mutual topics but not less on HG topics. If the amount of site visitors were 10/1, PG to HG, who'd really know (or care)? Perhaps you could try it on a separate website - keep this one and try a new one that had both. If $ is to be made from advertising and more visitors to a site means more advertising $ .......

IMHO the future of free flight will go a lot more smoothly and in a positive growth direction if both PG an Hang pilots work for the same goals collectively. It is much easier to do that when they can more easily communicate.

i agree that we need to keep this an hg site only, i visit PG sites so i can get an idea of how they work and fly, so i can better fly with them, they are always welcome to do the same, what is stopping them from doing the same thing and joining us once in a while and maybe sharing some info about what they can do and what the can't while next to one, in fact i may start a thread i am sure that there are enough that fly both that we could learn just that
User avatar
By ChattaroyMan
#346102
I see your points. Not sure if you guys are seeing mine. If one Web location had the best of both worlds why wouldn't enthusiasts from both sports visit the site? Click a hang icon - go to hang stuff, click a para icon - go to para stuff, click a combo icon - go to mutual topics. One login ID.

As for the analogy of the magazine .... one can't help but thumb through para stories. At a website you only go where you want.

And, I don't mean to shed any vibes of dislike for hg.org. I've found this site INVALUABLE. I'm just thinking out loud on ways in which the site might be even better. If the majority of folks are here in order to completely ignore paras - that's fine. I think I'd find value discussing flying sites and how to get/keep them with a fixed bunch rather than just hang pilots though.

Steve Baran
User avatar
By Wonder Boy
#346136
Coming from paragliding, having flown with hangs at the time, I never came here. ( I knew they were fast and would run me over, what else was there?)
I stayed at a site that was specific to my interest.... until one day, to many times of being blown out. (Never again!) Glad to make the change. Glad to fly both. I seldom wonder to the para site. (On occasion, in the winter)

I get what your saying about wanting a one stop shopping site. But the there is a vast class of differences over all. Too glider specific to be inter-meshed.
I dont need to trip over their topics, if inclined I will wonder over there, and vice versa.

One will go to where one is interested.

Paragliders out number hangs in every USHPA issue for new rated pilots. (To each their own) Its all we can do to keep what we have and trudge along to bring a few more in.
2000 voices in a room vs 200, what topics will be heard?

But with that being said, we cant live without them. The huge growth has really helped keep a lot of sites open and re-opened some closed ones.
Some ignore them, some think they are inferior (we've witnessed the countless bashing)

But this is hanggliding.org, and they have the paraglidingforum. Yet we meet on the hill, catch rides, and drink in the lz.



Insert "Jerry Springers" sign off phase here. (Whatever touchy feely thing that was)
User avatar
By OverloadUT
#346142
sg wrote:The upgrade is going to move the site to one of the hottest new forum software packages out there, its pretty slick. But people hate change and they will b**** like crazy, but its better, they just will have to give it a chance and get used to it.
What software did you end up choosing? reddit, IPB, Vanilla, something else? I'm dying of curiosity here!
By Fred
#346595
I voted for other also (all of the above).

What if there was a community based election system to appoint several administrators covering all time zones with ban privileges and a dozen or so people with thread moving and locking privileges?

Or something like that..

It might seem very involved to establish but would be worth the effort I think. One person moderating is too much work and there is a lot going on unnoticed..

:popcorn:
User avatar
By Fred Wilson
#346601
Good Idea. Best I have hear yet. You listening SG?

More and more members are pouring in from Europe and Asia.
Russia can not be for behind and a lot of these chaps are yahoos. Nice yahoos but... can be yikers stuff at times! :lol:
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By BBJCaptain
#346602
I'm sure thats the last thing SG wants..........someone with admin rights getting in and changing SG's baby :crazy:


RM
#346604
Fred wrote:What if there was a community based election system to appoint several administrators covering all time zones...
We have ONE Admin here and ONE only Moderator. One and the same. SG.

The PG Forum has 3 Admins and must have 20 Plus separate Moderators. See: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/groupcp.php?g=213
- Some moderate only their specialty Forum. And the PGer forum is just marginally bigger and busier than the .org folks.

So here and now I am going to mention a few locals here, and who had best be reading this post, that are deliberately and maliciously DESTROYING the Aviation Quotes wiki.
- and who likewise take their sole joy in life in gutting and destroying otherwise helpful and useful "New Pilot Advice" Threads.[/b]

Sheesh. I could rant a 20 page, 20 posts per page rage outright vendetta against these dweebs.

- If you are up to being as enraged, annoyed and dispirited as I am, take a gander at the newest 20 or so posts (at the top of the list)
at: http://www.hanggliding.org/enterquote.php :punch: What the F is up in your brains dip wads? Hm? Get a life: ELSEWHERE and NOW. End of discussion. Period.

Its meant to be an eye catching bit of inspirational thinking directed at first time visitors, brand new pilots and ... eye candy for the rest of us. As it is now. :punch: Sheesh.

If I was moderator these dweebs would be kicked off the .org so fast they would have no idea what hit them. Period. End of Story. Period.
But SG has set this site up as a Freedom of Speach island of immunity. Bless his soul! :thumbsup:

Those dip wads are so F'n stupid. Man oh man. Not a clue in their pea sized brains that is is a wiki.
And that like all wiki's who does what, when and where that each and every edit the do is logged in for the Admin / Moderator to see, plain as day.

IQ Nim Rod Test Question #1 for them. 1-800-BIG-FAIL ...
You had to "Log In" to the Wiki independently of logging into the Forum. Remember Dip Wods?

You think SG is totally ignorant of what you did and when you did it and why you did it? 1-800-BIG-FAIL

SG is 100% aware of every last post that went up there. I know. SG and I have had several PM's going back and forth about it.
But he has chosen to allow you to stay. (Bless his soul!)
- But Gawd knows how he can be and... stay that forgiving. "Freedom of Speach." Enjoy. :cry:

The thing is SG our the only Admin Moderator here. So obviously does not have time do deal with hissy fit children like you have grown up to be. Shame on you. Shame on every last one of you yabos.

IQ Nim Rod Test Question #2 for them. 1-800-BIG-FAIL
Think life is going to stay the same Image and you can continue firing away chucking destructive, abhorrent, soul destroying garbage like that Image at him and us? Hmmm?

"There is No Air Police Force Anywhere In The World." - until you bring it down upon yourself.
Welcome to the new world of multiple Administrators and many, many separate and indepenent Moderators. Enjoy! eh? :mosh:

nuff said fred - aka The Masked Sniveler. :lol:

Image
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 am, edited 10 times in total.
User avatar
By Fred Wilson
#346606
I should have added to the Poll List:

Item # 13: "I would like us to have a brand new Forum added here wherein I can vomit in all my Soul Destroying Ugly Nasty Vicious Spiteful she it
- in order to annihilate all my enemies and anyone who is not on my personal best friends list.
- Chock a block full of all of my most disgusting, denigrating rant, raves and ant-personal potty mouth filth my imaginative brain drain can come up with."

End of Whing.

nuff said fred - aka The Masked Sniveler. :lol:

Bye
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
#346607
BBJCaptain wrote:I'm sure thats the last thing SG wants..........someone with admin rights getting in and changing SG's baby.
I take the opposite view.

There is no two ways about it. This is a high risk sport.
What if we were to lose SG?

Without a Legacy Policy and Program - aka a second Administrator at exactly the same contact levels and privileges with the forum's service provider
- this forum would go down hard and for good the day after the annual renewal fee was due.

Thought about that? Yikers.

This Forum is THE most valuable, treasured respected and enjoyed Hang Gliding Forum there is, world wide. Period.

Yes there is the OzReport. but it's focus is more competition world focused. Nothing like this - and likely never will be... even if push came to shove. Right Davis?
#346638
Fred Wilson wrote:So here and now I am going to mention a few locals here, and who had best be reading this post, that are DESTROYING the Aviation Quotes wiki.
- and who likewise take their sole joy in life in destroying otherwise helpful and useful "New Pilot Advice" Threads.[/b]
Ask yourself "Is this a deliberate act or do these people just have too much time on their hands?"

I'll just leave this here
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014 ... ipulation/
By Fred
#346657
For comparison, I believe the paragliding forum has appointed administrators and moderators. I lurk there from time to time. It's generally very informative and entertaining but part of that websites' success is reliant on energy supplied by the paragliding community.

The Oz Report I find most often is several steps ahead in logic because most of the members there all know each other and have for a long time so there is less commotion. Whenever there is some major controversy or headline news, that is where I go for an understanding the majority of the time. Also, Davis enjoys flying and his flight reports are always fun and informative to read.

SG is the programmer and designed this website on an excellent foundation but is basically a newbie as far as this sport goes. As am I for the most part. For one person to moderate a forum of this magnitude is too many hours involved to be successful in reality.

What am suggesting is a vote for a group of electorates to run the forum while SG continues to oversee everything. There can be impeachments and new elections as needed so it runs smooth. These individuals would be selected by the forum community as a whole to represent our sport accurately for us and whoever opens this website to see what's up without the need for tedious grooming.



:thumbsup:

Is there anyone here who can't relate to this frus[…]

Thanks Felix, where i live about 1hr south of the […]

Sorry I lost that video deleting my problematic se[…]

Thanks Chis! Glad you liked it.