Polling threads

Moderators: sg, mods

What on hanggliding.org is the best for you?

Hang Gliding Videos.
18%
Hang Gliding Photos.
No votes
0%
Hang Gliding Site Reports and Site Information.
5%
Hang Gliding Flight Reports.
5%
Hang Gliding Stories.
8%
Hang Gliding History.
2%
Hang Glider Product Information.
4%
Hang Gliding Events and Happenings.
No votes
0%
Advice for Hang Gliding Pilots, new and old.
35%
Hang Gliding Politics and issues.
4%
The Campfire / Off Topic Area.
2%
Foot Launched Powered Hang Gliding.
3%
Other.
13%
By BBJCaptain
Fletcher wrote:Fred
You missed one category.
(All Above) = my vote
:ditto:
By Nicos
I chose Advice for Hang Gliding Pilots

Reckon the off-topic/campfire sections shouldn't appear on the front page.

Thread author moderation could be a good thing too.

Thanks SG :thumbsup:
By BubbleBoy
SeeMarkFly wrote:I'd like to see that the Original Poster of a thread (OP) gets editorial control over that particular thread (GETS TO DELETE ASSHOLES).
Nicos wrote:Thread author moderation could be a good thing too.
That hosting service is called "WordPress". You get to say whatever you want and control who responds. Not a bad deal if that's what you're into -- we did it for the DDWFTTW cart to cut down on the noise. There literally were hundreds of thousands of responses on that topic and we didn't want them all on our blog.

JB
By peanuts
so, a discussion with only one viewpoint allowed. very novel idea.
By CAL
Wonder Boy wrote:
CAL wrote:
ChattaroyMan wrote::ditto: on CAL's reply - I've bought/sold wings/gear here. Learned bunches through flight and equipment reports, made contacts, met pilots to fly new sites, etc.

Only thing I'd like to see would be an online Free Flight forum where paras were included/welcomed. I'm afraid I'd bail on hg.org if there were a site like this one but also included paras. I'm not interested in flying paras but would value the input of a larger pool of free flight pilots when it comes to weather topics, XC techniques, site reports, etc. We fly the same atmosphere and from the same sites. 1/2 my flying pals are effectively eliminated from this site.
the only way to learn about how to fly with paras is to associate with them and i might add get along with them, that is my goal is to learn to fly with them, stay in a thermal with them and learn from them instead of thinking we are superior than they are, there is more of them in our area so there is a great deal i can learn form them as far as weather as you have mentioned.

i like the site the way it is though, keep it HG only, with the idea that we do need to learn how to fly with them, i used to have a bad attitude about them, as soon as i changed my attitude and decided to learn from them my HG skills have improved

Yep, they are two different craft flown differently in most conditions.
Have a look here for more info on them http://www.paraglidingforum.com/
They are friendly, dont mind hangs asking questions. you can see the weather & xc topics they deal with. (I'll tell them you're an ok guy :wink:

Imagine their front page and ours combined, too many topics that don't apply to each.
Would take away from both sites.

thanks i will check into it
By Bobfly
I like the Org for many reasons but the primary one is just to be in the company of others that share my love of flying and hang gliding. All the other stu.ff, the videos and stories, advice and suggestions, the classifieds etc. are just a part of the overall experience. It's the birds of a feather thingy....
By NMERider
Bobfly wrote:I like the Org for many reasons but the primary one is just to be in the company of others that share my love of flying and hang gliding. All the other stu.ff, the videos and stories, advice and suggestions, the classifieds etc. are just a part of the overall experience. It's the birds of a feather thingy....
Expanding on that a little further Bob, I have become acquainted with pilots from around the world via the Org and gotten to meet many in person when they have been out to SoCal. If I recover from my neck injury and get back on my feet and my wings I have folks already familiar with me I can hook up with in future travels. This is absent from the voting list but I believe a whole lot of us have made valuable connections here.
By SeeMarkFly
peanuts wrote:so, a discussion with only one viewpoint allowed. very novel idea.
If you look in "The Basement" at any thread with more than 3,000 views, the "member in-fighting" caused many members to down-vote that thread.
If the OP (original poster) was given editorial rights to throw out non-thread related discussion, these popular threads would still be easier to find and read.
The one jerk with an agenda that keeps trying to drag the discussion down has the right to start a different thread where that view gets it's own editorial prejudice. If that view is more popular, then that view remains higher on the page.

I PERSONALLY got tired of certain people hi-jacking my threads into a "In-fighting death spiral to The Basement". I no longer care to even attempt a discussion here because of these people, it's been going on for a while. My history shows that I stopped trying almost two years ago because of Ryan.
The posts that took my threads to "The Basement" had NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed, I'm pissed enough to stop coming here to post ANYTHING.

So, NO! Not just one viewpoint allowed, just the irrelevant stuff gets filtered out, OR a better thread gets started.
By CAL
NMERider wrote:
Bobfly wrote:I like the Org for many reasons but the primary one is just to be in the company of others that share my love of flying and hang gliding. All the other stu.ff, the videos and stories, advice and suggestions, the classifieds etc. are just a part of the overall experience. It's the birds of a feather thingy....
Expanding on that a little further Bob, I have become acquainted with pilots from around the world via the Org and gotten to meet many in person when they have been out to SoCal. If I recover from my neck injury and get back on my feet and my wings I have folks already familiar with me I can hook up with in future travels. This is absent from the voting list but I believe a whole lot of us have made valuable connections here.
i remember meeting you NME on the org. and then traveling to Crestline, you set up a driver and we all flew together and had a great time THANKS for that ! i remember seeing your videos of the flight, couldn't believe what we missed out on,

we later went to King and i met you there as well, you taught me how to pick a good cycle, not by words but by watching you. you would look down at the streamer and watch it come straight in then you would ask if the streamer on top was lined up, when all was lined up you launched, i use that same method at all my site here at home, get Well my friend !
By BubbleBoy
peanuts wrote:so, a discussion with only one viewpoint allowed. very novel idea.
SeeMarkFly wrote:The one jerk with an agenda that keeps trying to drag the discussion down has the right to start a different thread where that view gets it's own editorial prejudice. If that view is more popular, then that view remains higher on the page.

So, NO! Not just one viewpoint allowed, just the irrelevant stuff gets filtered out, OR a better thread gets started.
Well, to be fair to peanut's comment, that is still "a discussion with only one viewpoint allowed". What you are proposing is that if the OP doesn't like that viewpoint it can be forced into a separate discussion thread. That's not really a discussion - that's "my way or the highway".
My history shows that I stopped trying almost two years ago because of Ryan.
While I'm no fan of Ryan's cry baby antics, it's also hard to argue that he didn't also add value to many conversations. If someone is allowed to merely automatically prohibit him from their threads, that stifles real discussion which involves varied viewpoints.

While I respect your right to that wish, I don't think that's healthy for a 'exchange of ideas' based forum.

JB
By red
SeeMarkFly wrote:I'd like to see that the Original Poster of a thread (OP) gets editorial control over that particular thread (GETS TO DELETE ASSHOLES).
I've seen WAY too many threads hijacked (and end up in "The Basement") by stupid in-fighting, to even attempt a civil conversation about.....ANYTHING!
SG,

I would want to see all views allowed, in any thread.

Rather than the Original Poster being able to DELETE an off-topic or abusive post, maybe the OP can be allowed to MOVE off-topic posts to a new thread, with an appropriate new title, or even straight to the Basement if the only "discussion" being offered is abuse of the idea or members. Then the abusive member can post a more civilized message, but staying on topic and avoiding the "attack mode."

"The first guy to raise a fist has run out of ideas."

:mrgreen:
By BubbleBoy
red wrote:I would want to see all views allowed, in any thread.
You say that, but then you immediately proceed to contradict that statement with your own words.
Rather than the Original Poster being able to DELETE an off-topic or abusive post, maybe the OP can be allowed to MOVE off-topic posts to a new thread, with an appropriate new title, ...
Allowing the OP to move posts to a new thread and rename thread as he/she sees "appropriate" is NOT "all views allowed in any thread", in fact it will often simply deteriorate into (as peanut points out) a discussion with one viewpoint.
... or even straight to the Basement if the only "discussion" being offered is abuse of the idea or members.
The problem with that is is this: what *I* consider your "abuse of the idea" might just well be an alternate view to mine. We as humans tend to want to get rid of what we don't like.

Allowing me to move your posts to the basement into a thread I appropriately title "Things that are stupid.", is tantamount to your viewpoint simply being deleted. (red, I don't don't think that, and wouldn't do that btw - this is hypothetical)

JB
By NMERider
Seems like there may to be a use for a new poll titled: What on hanggliding.org is the WORST for you?

But then sg will be rolling out a new forum at some point in the future which may functionally allow these complaints/concerns to be addressed?

I would still be interested in having a thread poll/thread as described above. :goodidea:
By CAL
NMERider wrote:Seems like there may to be a use for a new poll titled: What on hanggliding.org is the WORST for you?

But then sg will be rolling out a new forum at some point in the future which may functionally allow these complaints/concerns to be addressed?

I would still be interested in having a thread poll/thread as described above. :goodidea:
when i look at a magazine i just look at it in a way of what can i read that will be fun, a good learning experience, interesting or worthwhile, so i really don't see the worse side of anything. i just take the good and run with it,

when people get mad at each other i look at it as entertainment :lol:
By NMERider
CAL wrote:....i really don't see the worse side of anything. i just take the good and run with it, when people get mad at each other i look at it as entertainment :lol:
That's certainly understandable CAL, but what is disappointing for me is the loss of many excellent contributors here and I assure you that the number isn't small either. And so not only have we lost a large number of very worthwhile contributors an even larger number of would-be contributors have decided not to post anything here or became so put off after just a few experiences that they have stopped. So some portion of the thing you are calling 'entertainment' is to me a very destructive phenomenon that has seriously undermined this community. To a certain extent many of us have spoken out against it over the years but it has been a losing battle due to a war of attrition.

You have no idea how many pilots have personally told me that they would never post here because of the unmoderated harassment they see have seen heaped onto others. Yes, we should all have a reasonably thick hide and a sense of humor but there is also a limit after which it just isn't worth it. For far too many pilots that limit has been exceeded and they are gone. Plain and simple. The real damage is not in what you do see here but in what you don't see. It's truly everyone's loss.
By CAL
NMERider wrote:
CAL wrote:....i really don't see the worse side of anything. i just take the good and run with it, when people get mad at each other i look at it as entertainment :lol:
That's certainly understandable CAL, but what is disappointing for me is the loss of many excellent contributors here and I assure you that the number isn't small either. And so not only have we lost a large number of very worthwhile contributors an even larger number of would-be contributors have decided not to post anything here or became so put off after just a few experiences that they have stopped. So some portion of the thing you are calling 'entertainment' is to me a very destructive phenomenon that has seriously undermined this community. To a certain extent many of us have spoken out against it over the years but it has been a losing battle due to a war of attrition.

You have no idea how many pilots have personally told me that they would never post here because of the unmoderated harassment they see have seen heaped onto others. Yes, we should all have a reasonably thick hide and a sense of humor but there is also a limit after which it just isn't worth it. For far too many pilots that limit has been exceeded and they are gone. Plain and simple. The real damage is not in what you do see here but in what you don't see. It's truly everyone's loss.

i see your point JD there are a lot that i have truly enjoyed as well that are no longer with us but there is really no cure, i have tried to pm them and tell them to come back and let them know that they are punishing those that did not say anything bad to them and rewarding those that have. if there is a cure i am all for it, i don't like it when others get kicked out of the org. as well,
By sg
So far the ORG has been an experiment of nearly 100% freedom of speech. You've seen the outcome. The abusive have had free reign to run everyone off. Any moderation attempts are met with contempt and references to nazi's. (Even thought this isnt publicly owned government property and thus a silly argument)

Well, those days are coming to an end.

ORG 2.0 will be a completely new site. The old rules will be dead and gone.
It will be run like a business. A hang gliding cafe, where people can chill at talk.

When someone acts up, they better ask themselves what a manager at Starbucks would do in the same situation if they need to guess whats going to happen. You would be shown the door pretty quickly for some of the nonsense that has gone on in the past here. No more gaming the rules, walking a fine line. They wont be listed. Be civil, or there's the door, will be the new rule of law. We will lose people for sure, but it's a trade off. We will gain others back. The new management style will certainly have an effect on the kind of people who visit this site.
By CAL
sg wrote:So far the ORG has been an experiment of nearly 100% freedom of speech. You've seen the outcome. The abusive have had free reign to run everyone off. Any moderation attempts are met with contempt and references to nazi's. (Even thought this isnt publicly owned government property and thus a silly argument)

Well, those days are coming to an end.

ORG 2.0 will be a completely new site. The old rules will be dead and gone.
It will be run like a business. A hang gliding cafe, where people can chill at talk.

When someone acts up, they better ask themselves what a manager at Starbucks would do in the same situation if they need to guess whats going to happen. You would be shown the door pretty quickly for some of the nonsense that has gone on in the past here. No more gaming the rules, walking a fine line. They wont be listed. Be civil, or there's the door, will be the new rule of law. We will lose people for sure, but it's a trade off. We will gain others back. The new management style will certainly have an effect on the kind of people who visit this site.
once someone is kicked off is there anyway they can get back ? of coarse they would have to tow the line
By BubbleBoy
sg wrote:No more gaming the rules, walking a fine line. They wont be listed. Be civil, or there's the door, will be the new rule of law.
Well done.

JB
Large Pilot (Heavy)

Billy: Let Me know when you are interested in ge[…]

Hey guys, i just put an order for a mosquito, and […]

One lucky dude....

Steering with your feet never works out. Campers,[…]

Is the road rebuilt yet? It was pretty messed up f[…]