Never thought of it, Instructor mounted it and I haven't changed
No votes
0%
Who cares, just fly
7%
I don't fly with a vario, I'm a bird man
7%
By Hangskier
I searched but did not see a discussion on this.

I've been thinking about changing the mounting location of my vario so I was wondering where everyone mounted theirs and why.

In the poll I included mounting on the right side of base tube but I have never seen this and probably no one does due to VG, but I added it so the poll would look complete.

My vario is mounted on left downtube and I'm right handed. The reason I started this way (and have not changed) is that when I started flying it was via aero tow and the aero tow release (bike brake) was mounted on right down tube. I suppose that the tow release was located on the right side due to the majority of the population is right handed, so the logical location of the vario was the left side. I also fly with wheels and since launching from carts, I'm limited to mounting location. I seem to get a crink in my neck from looking to one side. I probably only need to lower my vario a little, and I guess center is out of the question for towing for now I pro-tow and I would not any interference. I do not have the extension or pod but I guess this would also allow more and better positioning of the vario while in flight.

It seems that the older and larger varios were mounted in the center of the base tube. I have not seen many if any of modern vario's, especially with pods mounted in the center. I wonder if this is due to final glide and unable to view due to being under the neck/chest.

I believe I favor thermalling to one side due to I can look at my vario on the low side, but would like others view on this.
By CHassan
I use to put it on the right side. That was where my instructor put it and where I left it. When I realized I turned right all the time, I attributed it to staring at the vario. So I moved it to the left side thinking I would learn to turn left because I would want to stare at it still. Well now I listen as I turn to the right.

I did try it in the center of the base tube for a few flights. Didn't really like it there.
By psilyguy
CHassan wrote:I use to put it on the right side. That was where my instructor put it and where I left it. When I realized I turned right all the time, I attributed it to staring at the vario. So I moved it to the left side thinking I would learn to turn left because I would want to stare at it still. Well now I listen as I turn to the right.

I did try it in the center of the base tube for a few flights. Didn't really like it there.
Are you left handed? I've noticed I'm developing a pattern of doing all left turns, & I'm right handed. I've read about this, and am going to work on breaking this habit before I get too used to it. Being new to flying, it shouldn't be hard to break the habit, but I'd better start now.

My vario is on left downtube. Works for me so far, but I'm only doing short sled runs, & don't spend much time paying attention to it yet.
By CHassan
No I'm right handed. My dad is right handed and likes right turns too. We have a couple others around here who like right turns and I think they are right handed.

I do have to make a clarification. Every glider I have flown, other than my 2 topless gliders, I have felt more comfortable going to the right. In my 2 topless I like the left hand turns better. Someone mentioned inherent turns in the gliders, but I have not noticed any during level flight.
By Jason
i put it on a downtube.....usually the left.....sometimes the right....i don't look at it, foot launch only, and will more then happily fly without it
By nbollinger
Motorcyclists have a similar issue, most are more comfortable cornering to the left vs the right. From what I read, its mostly related to a mental/natural tendency thing.
By remmoore
I had an "older and larger" vario when I started - a Litek Hummingbird. I can't imagine having that big ol' box in front of my face on the basetube. I really don't think it was designed for that location, anyway. I also not seen older photos of a pilot with one on the basetube - only the d-tube.

Even back when I flew flexwings, I always tried to make turns both directions, so vario location wasn't about that. My mounting location was/is based on the VG or flap cord being on the right side - I didn't want to be elbowing the vario while fiddling with the cord.

Given that my custom carbon pod was designed to fit only on the left d-tube, I doubt I'll be changing the location!

RM
By Hangskier
I've seen quite a few pics over the years. I found this on the internet in just seconds. But I guess not as common though.
Attachments
Golden990816_1.jpg
Golden990816_1.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 16913 times
By Hangskier
:)
Attachments
hang-gliding-interlaken.jpg
hang-gliding-interlaken.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 16894 times
hang-gliding.jpg
hang-gliding.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 16894 times
Dino-launch-e1353784566971.jpg
Dino-launch-e1353784566971.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 6135 times
hang-glider-12.jpg
hang-glider-12.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 16894 times
By J Fritsche
Mine's on the basetube, pretty much dead-center. I'd rather just glance down than have to turn my head, but I don't look at it all that much anyway; I just work lift based on the sound of the vario. I've still got a round (gasp!) basetube, though--not sure the mount would work on the fancy newer ones.
By BRP
What about the Sonic vario or any audio only type...
Then there's the old ball wrist vario...
By J Fritsche
BRP:
I have a Ball Cricket (one of Ball's last products), which is basically the same thing as the Sonic, that I used as my paragliding vario. My altimeter was my Suunto wristwatch. I banged-up the Cricket, though, and sent it in to the company that's currently servicing old Ball products--Blue Sky Avionics. It works again, but it is very-overly-sensitive, and I'm in the process of adjusting that sensitivity and test-flying with it. A long, drawn-out process. So I continue to mount my old Ball M19 to the basetube while I get the Cricket figured-out. I have essentially quit paragliding, so the Cricket is going to be a back-up vario to my M19 while I am hang gliding.
Probably more info. than you wanted, hey?
By remmoore
remmoore wrote: I also have not seen older photos of a pilot with one on the basetube - only the d-tube.RM
Based of the photos posted, I think some folks misunderstood my comment above. I meant photos where a big, boxey old-school vario was mounted on the basetube. :?

RM
By J Fritsche
I have the last model that Litek made (no, I don't use it anymore). I think it's the "E" model. I would not put that huge thing on my basetube even if I could figure-out a way to do so. In a crash, it could seriously smash my face.

Anyone looking for a cheap, vintage vario? :)
By Hangskier
J Fritsche wrote:I have the last model that Litek made (no, I don't use it anymore). I think it's the "E" model. I would not put that huge thing on my basetube even if I could figure-out a way to do so. In a crash, it could seriously smash my face.

Anyone looking for a cheap, vintage vario? :)
No kidding. That would hurt. You mean like what's on the Klassic in this vid at 7:20?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhS72RR59nE[/youtube][/url]
By sam kellner
the poll is ~41%, left downtube, right handed.

Whatever the combination, It'd be interesting to know what techniques have been developed to fly the glider with one hand and change the functions on the vario with the other.

If the vario is on the left side, do most use the left hand to change functions, or hold the bar with the left hand and reach over.

I hardly take my eyes off the horizon long enough to glance at a vario, and usually keep both hands firmly on the basebar, even to pull the release. :wink:

However, some pilots do the instruments and use the phone too. :-o

Great topic :thumbsup:
By binsel
I am becoming a minimalist these days. I think I am going back to Sonic.
By blindrodie
Right handed, sometimes left DT sometimes centered on BT.

Sam I rest my palm on the DT or BT when I switch buttons but at this point it's Alt
or audio level change so it's not too hard. No waypoint stuff or screen info changes.

8)