Polling threads

Moderators: sg, mods

By wonderwind_flyer
It has been many years since I have shipped a hang glider across the country. Can anyone offer suggestions to the best container construction and shipping company? Approximate current cost of truck/freight shipping for 2000 miles? Should the glider be short-packed (not as easy to do on a Sensor 610 as other gliders)? Thx Much for any advice!
By wonderwind_flyer
I just found an older thread that answered most of my questions. But if anyone has anything new to add, please do!
By jcsaal
wonderwind_flyer wrote:I just found an older thread that answered most of my questions. But if anyone has anything new to add, please do!
Hi wonderwind_flyer!

Im also interested in this information, could you share the link to the older thread you mentioned?

Thanks
By red
Campers,

I added some shipping information to my web page, linked below, if that helps.
Other advice is certainly welcome here.

:mrgreen:
By miraclepieco
Another option:

If you have a concrete materials supplier in your town they will have super-duty cardboard tubes in a variety of diameters and lengths. These are not ordinary cardboard; these tubes are very thick wall, designed to pour concrete into to form structural columns and pillars. They are cheaper and much lighter, so your freight bill will be less. Plus, after use, they can be recycled or sawed up and discarded.

By miraclepieco at 2012-07-30
By wonderwind_flyer
Here is the earlier thread I found:
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=20238

Sonotubes are a good idea. Although once I arrived at a depot to pick up a glider shipped in a sonotube and just as I arrived I saw the fork lift operator using the fork tips to push/roll the glider 50 yards down the storage building floor! He ran it into the wall twice before I ran out and stopped him. I then pointed to the words written all over the tube ... 'DO NOT USE FORK LIFT'. He told me I was crazy.
By Fletcher
The town I live near has an awning manufacturer that gets material in shipping tubes.They often put the empty tubes out by the road with FREE writen in black marker. It's easier for them to give them away than deal with disposal.
Look for a similar business in your area for FREE tubes.
By wonderwind_flyer
I had some reflective insulation bubble wrap (stronger than regular bubble wrap) lying around so I decided to:
1) pad all internal hardware (pullies, etc), KP top, KP base, DTs ... etc
2) enclose the glider with the glider bag (as normal)
3) wrap entire glider with insulation bubble wrap
4) give the fellow who bought my glider an extra glider bag and put this around the entire bundle
5) it is now ready to go into its shipping container

I just thought the glider might appreciate the extra layer of cushion and shock absorbing.
Attachments
2012-07-31 19.52.13.jpg
2012-07-31 19.52.13.jpg (270.37 KiB) Viewed 15553 times
2012-07-035.jpg
2012-07-035.jpg (191.89 KiB) Viewed 15553 times
By dave hopkins
wonderwind_flyer wrote:I had some reflective insulation bubble wrap (stronger than regular bubble wrap) lying around so I decided to:
1) pad all internal hardware (pulleys, etc), KP top, KP base, DTs ... etc
2) enclose the glider with the glider bag (as normal)
3) wrap entire glider with insulation bubble wrap
4) give the fellow who bought my glider an extra glider bag and put this around the entire bundle
5) it is now ready to go into its shipping container

I just thought the glider might appreciate the extra layer of cushion and shock absorbing.

Put straps on the package to make it easier to handle. Put a couple of pieces of 1x3 strapping on the bottom to protect the card board if they throw or drop it on a cart. Ive seen airport baggage handlers throwing gliders out of planes on to baggage carts.
I too have chased forklifts through a warehouse. Scary stuff!
By mbadley
I just had a glider sent from Denver to Sacramento for a bill of $80 - using Pilot Freight. Glider was short packed (remove the Leading edge end tubes, wrapped them in a piece of carpet and mylar removed from the pocket (rolled and laid inside the wing.)) Used a 12" concrete form tube (actually 2 shorter ones just jointed together (joint was only taped like crazy - not actually joined and the butt ends had a circular piece of 3/4" plywood screwed in along the perimeter of the tube. Everything was fine when it got here.
Hey Felix,
Good job carrying it to SCF. Which airline did you fly with? Did they raise any issue while checking it in?

I am now looking to carry a glider on flight to Florida comp.