47%
Southern hemisphere- I prefer to circle clockwise
1%
Southern hemisphere- I prefer to circle anticlockwise
1%
Southern hemisphere- I have no preference
6%
By noman3
u circle to the side that is getting lifted the most,if im in a thermal and im circling or flying straight and a wing gets lifted abruptly,i turn to that wings side and core the core.Sometimes its a wild bull ride with only 3 turns in it but it gets me up faster.Flying in a thermal with me can be dangerous because there is no pattern to my flying but there is no pattern for how the air rises. :shock:
By Wagner24314
:ditto:
By redkite
clockwise, anticlockwise ?

Mostly UNwise I guess. Or I would climb faster :lol:
By noman3
Eteamjack wrote:Whats a Thermal?

its underwear you put on under your pants :thumbsup:
By Eteamjack
Don't wear any underwear!
How am I suppose to relate?
By noman3
Eteamjack wrote:Don't wear any underwear!
How am I suppose to relate?
smoke a big joint and take a shower. :thumbsup:
By hiflioz
BubbleBoy wrote:If you're the sort of person that is always looking to improve your performance: Whichever direction is your weakness, turn that way as often as possible until it's your strength.

You may pull off a low save someday precisely because of this practice.

JB
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent advice, and it works: now I have no preference either way, both are cruisy. It's very handy at comps when they alternate left and right turn days.
By Rod_Clark
I like to thermal the opposite direction as panty pilots.

Or at least it would seem that way... because every time I mark a nice thermal they all come over and join me, usually in the wrong direction and with complete disregard for the right of way.
By mtxcdude
I’m right handed with vario on the right down tube and I turn left or right equally. I’ve flown in both north and south hemispheres, mostly in the north. I’m not a trained scientist but do have an observation or two to add. When considering thermal rotation. The Coriolis Effect is a weak hypothesis at best. Observing dust devils and flying in strong thermals with terrestrial debris, thermals rotate in both clockwise and counter clockwise directions in both hemispheres. In a big strong thermal does it matter which direction you circle? No, you’re going up. However, in smaller thermals, you may find your turn radius at a given bank angle is not short enough to remain in the thermal for 360° consistently. You go over the falls and turn back into the thermal. What else can you do? What I do is determine (most of the time guess) which way the thermal is rotating and circle opposing the rotation. I figure circling opposing the rotation slows my ground speed in relation to the thermal rotation hence shortening my turn radius at a given bank angle. What the @#$%!! Tighter circles dude, which allows you stay in the small thermal going up for the full circle. Am I full of it, or does this actually work? I like to think it has worked for me over the years on more than several but less then numerous occasions. The key is observation and giving it a try. Before launch note the directional rotation of dust devils, birds and other pilots. You may find as I have that this technique helps in lighter conditions.
Attachments
IMGP0609c8.JPG
IMGP0609c8.JPG (3.14 MiB) Viewed 1839 times
By fluffyclouds
it's been so long ago, i have difficulty remembering a whole lot, and because of the terrain where i did this, and the type of glider i had, i don't have that much experience in thermals, as i usually slope soared or just ground-skimmed on the bunny-hill, but i think usually tried feeling whatever direction seemed to climb the best and after settling into the rising air, i just went for it, and the few times that i did this, seemed to work ok. i honestly don't recall having a real preference towards the direction i took. i just remember one or two instances where i wanted to avoid the buzzards that were also circling about. (those birds are rather disgusting closeup, and i heard they can spew on you if you get too close. wouldn't want that!) :mrgreen:
By OSCAR
gtpowell wrote:I'm a righty with instruments on the left (soon to be center), radio on the right, and I will circle in either direction. When flying a ridge, I will turn away from the ridge unless I'm a few hundred feet over. If I'm over and/or in the open air, I will turn toward the wing tip that lifts first and/or lifts higher.

:ditto: Except for instruments on the left .If I even use any it will be on my right with the volume turned off.I hate that beeping. :ahh:
By DocSoc
which ever way, I can scare the guys above me enough to bail out of MY THERMAL!!!

:punch:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I kid, I kid, I joke....

-DocSoc
By Davedebogusone
Whats a Thermal?
You know, they used to call them long johns :wink:
I
By Sky_Walker
I always turn in the direction that gets me flushed out as quickly as possible.

:cry:
By Flyking
I turn left most of the time. The King Mountain Championships eveyone has to turn left within a mile from launch. King is where I learned to thermal and go XC so I got in the habit of turning to the left but I do and can go both ways :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Bobfly
I just levitate straight up!
By UnTuckable
I just wind my clock and let it turn in time for me.