Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

This was inspired by MrsPoser's fondness for AC/DC and dislike of the Beatles.

I'll start:
Stuff I like:
60's stuff:
Byrds
Beatles

70's progressive:
Focus
Camel
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Yes

Other 70's:
Joni Mitchell
Chicago (until about 1975)

80's:
REM
Wednesday Week
Game Theory
Posies
Cowboy Junkies

90's and later:
Loud Family
Veruca Salt
Lush
Green Day

Brazilian:
Milton Nascimento

Jazz:
Chick Corea
Pat Metheny

Composers:
Rimsky-Korsakov
Ravel
Prokofiev
Stravinsky

Stuff I don't like:
Hip-hop
Hair metal
Slick Nashville country

Listening to right now:
Holiday music
Loreena McKennitt, To Drive the Cold Winter Away
Nat King Cole
By Nibs
Like:
Electronic music in various forms, but especially deep house
Any cheesy 80's pop like Rick Astley etc
70's and 80's funk and soul.... like Boz Scaggs, Lisa Lisa, Chaka Khan, Maxwell, Lakeside, Heatwave, The Spinners, etc
80's electro music (Newcleus, grandmaster flash etc)
Classical
Jazz

Dislike:
Heavy Metal
Country of any kind
99% of the commercial hip-hop.... I think its ruining our society
Last edited by Nibs on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By steve555
Any electronica type especially “trance”.
All Industrial genres (not to be confused w/indie)
Classical
Punk
Some blues.
Any percussion based music.

Dislikes

Country
Classic rock
Jazz
Opera
And if you want to see a grown man cry, lock me in a room with “Wings” or “Steve miller band” playing. :ahh:

In my cd player right now….White stripes- Icky Thump
By Lobido
I love Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Dixieland jazz, Bach, Mozart, Brahms. Never liked the Archies. Enjoy much of Rock, too normal to go into, also like the Mavericks, though can't say I am a real country fan. Fine Young Cannibals and the English Beat are favorites.Talking Heads. Hate Steve Miller, especially that Space Cowboy song. Got the Ken Burns Civil War soundtrack, liked the old music. Dylan's and Springsteen's lyrics and music are exceptional. Who doesn't like the Beach Boys, particularly Pet Sounds. 50s music, Santana. Ah, hell, I can't encapsulate it all.
By ClandestineSwine
All over the map:

Angry and loud - Disturbed, SOAD, Metallica

BNL, Collective Soul, The Police, Foo Fighters

My iPod is also home to Paganini, Mozart, Shubert

And for some odd reason, I listen to country when working on my RV-7
By TomGalvin
Well, I have a lot of different musical styles I listen to. I use http://www.pandora.com a lot lately. If you have not tried this site yet, I highly recommend it. You just enter a song or artist and it plays songs like it. If you like what they play you click a thumbs up and it plays more like it. Thumbs down and it avoids it in the future. You can keep adding songs and artists to the channel to customize to your tastes. The best part is that I have discovered so many new, sometimes obscure artists that I really enjoy. I have setup several different stations there depending on my mood.

Mrs Poser would probably love my station CRANK http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh5502737872103600

Sometimes I need to mellow out a bit with what I call Acousticelt http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh315134638074032
By CHassan
Currently Miss Saigon

Also have Stone Roses, and Ween with me.

I don't like

AC/DC
Light jazz
Pop
Boybands

I can tolerate

Some rap
Some Country
Some Classical
and some Jazz
By phantomflier
Currently Miss Saigon
You mean the Broadway musical?? Or is there some weird band I don't know about??? If it's the former....wow, CHASSAN, I'm impressed!!

For me...

Country rocks!!! Toby Keith, both Georges, Rascal's, Vince,

Christian.... Steven Curtis Chapman, MercyMe, , Casting Crowns,

Legit (real) music... Mozart, Tchaikovsky, are my fav's

70's Rock, 80's New wave, 90's Alt. U2...

right now...Holiday- George Strait! .. don't be jealous
By xerxes
Anyone who can actually play their instruments
By CHassan
phantomflier wrote:
Currently Miss Saigon
You mean the Broadway musical?? Or is there some weird band I don't know about??? If it's the former....wow, CHASSAN, I'm impressed
Yes the broadway version. I also have
The Phantom (London Cast version Micheal Crawford and what's her name)
Les Mis
Joseph and the Amazing Technocolored Dream Coat (Not one of my favorites but I do listen every now and againy)
The Secret Garden (Ex girlfriend hooked me on that one, Saw it in san Fran, Same place I saw Danzig lol)
Cats (First major production I ever saw! Don't listen to it much at all, but I have it)

Not really listened to many other Broadway shows enough to actually get hooked on them. I have to know the songs so I can sing along lol

Plus I get funny looks while driving down the road blasting Bui Doi, or Wick :mrgreen:
By wilburleft
STEVE MILLER....'Take the Money and Run' (had to stand up for Miller)
By Lobido
Sound of nails on chalk board... :ahh:
By FormerFF
wilburleft wrote:STEVE MILLER....'Take the Money and Run' (had to stand up for Miller)
I've always liked "Fly Like An Eagle".. maybe it was the subject matter.
By Lobido
covering ears. :surrender:

(the "pompatous" of love. :cuss: I know, not the same song, but :cuss: )
By Radwhacker
Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Dave Matthews
The Beatles
Rusted Root
Huun Huur Tu (Traditional Mongolian Folk Music)
The Complete Soundtrack of Les Miserable
Some Opera (mostly arias - not the complete book)
Fat Boy Slim
Eminem
Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young)
Meat Loaf (only Bat Out of Hell #1)

Hates:

ALL Country (except Johnny Cash & Hank Williams Sr.)
Rap (except as noted)
The Beach Boys - especially Pet Sounds ("I hope I never hear surf music again" - Jimi Hendrix)
The Eagles.
By FormerFF
Lobido wrote:covering ears. :surrender:

(the "pompatous" of love. :cuss: I know, not the same song, but :cuss: )
That song gets me to change the station pretty quickly. Not as quickly as MrsPoser's favorite bisexual metal band, though. :mrgreen:
By Lobido
Radwhacker wrote: Hates:
The Beach Boys - especially Pet Sounds ("I hope I never hear surf music again" - Jimi Hendrix)
The Eagles.
I had to ask. But the Eagles, too. I mean, some of their stuff is lame, but "Take it to the LImit"? "One of These Nights"? Music likes and dislikes are subjective, I'll admit, but ...but...I mean...Oh, never mind. :?
By Radwhacker
The Beach Boys had nice harmonies, but they were just too white and middle class for me, I mean come on, "In My Room" fer christsake?

One friend tried to tell me that Pet Sounds was the Beach Boys answer to Sargent Pepper's so I went out and bought it. Some interesting ideas - but way, way short of the Beatles.

The Eagles - more white bread. No soul.

But I forgive you Lobido - I know you were a surf dude. :wink:
By curly_cue
Uh, anybody like anything produced in this decade?
Breaking Benjamin
Three Days Grace
Slipknot
Chevelle
Lifehouse
Nickelback
Linkin Park
Incubus
Godsmack
Foo Fighters
Evanescence
Fly Leaf
Plain White T's
Staind
By Lobido
Radwhacker wrote:The Beach Boys had nice harmonies, but they were just too white and middle class for me, I mean come on, "In My Room" fer christsake?

One friend tried to tell me that Pet Sounds was the Beach Boys answer to Sargent Pepper's so I went out and bought it. Some interesting ideas - but way, way short of the Beatles.

The Eagles - more white bread. No soul.

But I forgive you Lobido - I know you were a surf dude. :wink:
In my room kind of sucks, until you realize Brian Wilson was going nuts and see the song through that prism. I have to admit it, the Pet Sounds music permeated my surfer existence, it was in the surf films, and on La Jolla radio. Oddly, when I was a youth and, um, when I partook of the herb, I found their music insipid, but when I wasn't...elevated I enjoyed it.

And there is nothing wrong with liking show tunes. Really (cough cough). Seriously. 8)