Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By JR
Radwhacker wrote:The Beach Boys had nice harmonies, but they were just too white and middle class for me, I mean come on, "In My Room" fer christsake?

One friend tried to tell me that Pet Sounds was the Beach Boys answer to Sargent Pepper's so I went out and bought it. Some interesting ideas - but way, way short of the Beatles.

The Eagles - more white bread. No soul.

But I forgive you Lobido - I know you were a surf dude. :wink:
I like good music and there is good music in almost every genre, although I do have trouble hearing it in hip-hop, opera, and modern/over-produced country music. I would say the Beatles are the gold standard, although Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released after (and in response to) Pet Sounds. Paul McCartney has always said Pet Sounds was one of his favorite records and inspired the Beatles to make Sgt Pepper's even better.
By Radwhacker
My bad, I guess that would be "the answer to Rubber Soul." then. :thumbsup:

I didn't get around to listening to it for few years after it was released (except for the stuff getting airplay.). I'd already written off the Beach Boys music as pablum.

In any case, like I said, I thought it had some cool stuff on it, but wasn't consistently good through out. Maybe if I'd heard it before Sgt. Peppers I would have been more impressed.
By JR
To add some specifics:

At this precise moment, I have The Isle of Wight concert (1970), The Last Waltz (The Band), and Band of Gypsies (Jimi Hendrix) in my five-CD changer as I'm in "live music-mode".

Some of the mainstream rock music I like by decade:

50's:

Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Little Richard
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Buddy Holly
Gene Vincent
Eddie Cochran
Fats Domino

60's:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Kinks
The Beach Boys
The Byrds
The Moody Blues
Jefferson Airplane
The Grateful Dead
The Doors
CCR
SImon and Garfunkel
Bob Dylan

70's:

Led Zepplin
CSN&Y
Deep Purple
Savoy Brown
Free/Bad Company
Fleetwood Mac
The Eagles
ZZ Top
Joni Mitchell
Jackson Browne
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Neil Young
Paul Simon
Pink Floyd
Yes
ELP
King Crimson
Santana

80's:

The Clash
AC-DC
REM
U2
INXS
The Police
Peter Gabriel
Talking Heads
Blondie
The Pretenders
Bruce Sprinsteen
John Mellencamp
Elvis Costello
Madonna
Heart
Van Halen
Metallica

90's:

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Counting Crows
Stone Temple Pilots
Indigo Girls
Alanis Morrisette
Rage Against the Machine
NIN
DMB
Depeche Mode
Smahing Pumpkins
Green Day
Oasis
Red Hot Chili Peppers

00's:

Matchbox 20
Goo Goo Dolls
Pink
Radiohead
Coldplay
The Flaming Lips
The Killers
By Radwhacker
Ah yes, The Band! Forgot about them. And Dylan.

I just saw a 4 hour Scorsese documentary on Dylan that had some clips of Robertson, Danko and Hudson playing with Dylan on his London gig in '65/66???

Man, talk about baby faces. I think they were all (except Garth) under 20.
By JR
Radwhacker wrote:Ah yes, The Band! Forgot about them. And Dylan.

I just saw a 4 hour Scorsese documentary on Dylan that had some clips of Robertson, Danko and Hudson playing with Dylan on his London gig in '65/66???

Man, talk about baby faces. I think they were all (except Garth) under 20.
Not quite right. They were in their low 20's, except Levon Helm who was a little older and Garth Hudson who was a little older than that. By the time they were Dylan's back up band in the mid 60's, they'd already been on the road for the five or six years with Ronnie Hawkins as his backing band, The Hawks. According to an interview they did with Robbie Robertson during the filming of The Last Waltz, Ronnie told them from the very beginning, "You won't make much money, but you'll get all the pussy you can handle".

I'm sure that was, and still is, an impetus for many young men to start a band.
By DocSoc
Mrsposer wrote:Whohoo...love the Sneaker Pimps...saw 'em once....I can't remember where...must have been drinking. :lol:

Couple more....Nine Inch Nails and U2
U2 did you say U2????!!!!! HAve you heard anything about my glider?????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
By Mrsposer
Sorry Doc...no news on your glider! :lol:

Oh...let's add Soundgarden to my list. And I'll take Elvis too....after all I was in love with him when I was 4. :oops:
By MysticWizard
Religious

Jesus is Great
I Love God
My Life S*cks But I Have The Lord

etc. etc..... ad infinitum
By spekkinout
Tonight for me it's:

SRV
Robin Trower
Wolfmother
Black Crowes
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Government Mule
Allman Brothers
Eric Clapton
Buddy Guy
Spiderbait
Lynryd Skynyrd
Little Feat
Black Sabbath
Robert Johnson
Led Zep
Jeff Beck
Chris Duarte
Derek Trucks Band
Grateful Dead
Nashville Pussy
Santana
Tommy Bolin
ZZ Top
Joe Walsh
Hot Tuna
Big Sugar
ACDC
Lenny Kravitz
Albert Collins
B.T.O.
Ten Years After
Deep Purple
Cream
Canned Heat
Dire Straits
Drive By Truckers
Foghat
James Gang
Johnny Winter
Rainbow
Ted Nugent
Roy Buchanon
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
Neil Young
Judas Priest
Hendrix
Metallica
Ozzy
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Marshall Tucker Band
Pink Floyd
Robert Johnson

Well, that should see me through the calcs I have to do this evening...with enough left over for my beer and herb time afterwards. :)
By Radwhacker
Alvin Lee - Fastest Fingers in the West! :mosh:
By spekkinout
Radwhacker wrote:Alvin Lee - Fastest Fingers in the West! :mosh:
...which his baby, who he's apparently goin' home to see, should appreciate.... :mrgreen:
By Radwhacker
phantomflier wrote:btw...CD's in the mail....I hope I have enough soul for ya :mrgreen:
Now it's in my CD player!
Dude, you sing real purty!

Right now I'm listening to the bbc on my computer, a show called "Hear and Now." It's a contemporary classical show. They are playing a piece called "Die ersten Blumen" [The first flowers] by British composer Philip Hammond. Very interesting!
FormerFF wrote:Composers:
Rimsky-Korsakov
Ravel
Prokofiev
Stravinsky
I'm glad to see someone likes Stravinsky! I'm a composer, and teach composition. I like just about all kinds of classical music (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Chopin, etc., but also Palestrina, Gesualdo, Scarlatti, Zelenka, Haydn, and many more), but since I'm a composer I especially like the more contemporary composers: Bartok, Berg, Berio, Carter, Ligeti, Lutoslawski, Messiaen, Stravisnky, Takemitsu, Webern, Pärt, Andriessen.

Great stuff!!! Anybody heard of them?
By Radwhacker
Seriously, you should think of doing this for a living. :mrgreen:
By Radwhacker
All joking aside:

Absolutely sublime. One of the most beautiful voices I have heard in my life.

"Bring Him Home" - Better than Wilkinson's.

And your wife Elizabeth - if she is half as beautiful (and fascinating) as her wonderful voice you are a lucky man indeed.

I am truly moved.
By phantomflier
wow....I am humbled!! Would it surprise you to hear that I sing while I fly!!!! And Beth is the greatest...her pix is on the mug thread.
By Radwhacker
phantomflier wrote:Would it surprise you to hear that I sing while I fly!!!!
Then you are the one guy I wouldn't mind leaving his push-to-talk on. :mrgreen:
By bma_mat
Pavarotti. R.I.P.

All kinds of rock, rap is nice, but only from select bands who sing about things that make sense, metal, hard rock, classic rock, you name it. Some R&B, funky music :P, etc.

Pavarotti though kicks ass with his opera. What a great voice.
By JR
Since Mrsposer got to add Soundgarden and Elvis Presley to her list (both good choices), I think it's only fair I add a few to mine to satisfy my obsessive/compulsive nature and to rectify the most egregious omissions:

Cream/Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Carole King, Van Morrison, John Lennon, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, David Bowie, T.Rex, Mott The Hoople, Warren Zevon, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Queen, Sheryl Crow, Tori Amos, Ani Difranco, Lucinda Williams, Tool, etc.

OK, now I feel better.