Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Felix
I just noticed the "hang gliding in the news" section of the main page of hanggliding.org. This section is posted right before the one describing to the reader what the sport of Hang Gliding is, which is at the bottom. Kind of a fun section to have with the new! But then the news links are (as expected in mass media) mostly all negative (right now most of them about the mishap in Switzerland and portrays hang gliding as a scary, extreme sport to most). Perhaps another news feed can be used, or links to really great and positive professional videos available about our sport?
The presentation of Hang Gliding and Jonny's video are great, that section is the best one on the page if you ask me. I would start with that :)

I very much appreciate all the time put in by SG to maintain, update and make this site more attractive!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
By bickford frederick
Well, I think the "Getting into the Sport of Hang Gliding" section is more negative than the news feed.
By bickford frederick
California has always had the most pilots of all North America and there's no aerotowing. Maybe once a year theres an aerotowing session?

Just keep it simple.
By entelin
Here's one thing I noticed. When I read the post above my first reaction was: "There is such a section?". If you open the front page in a browser there is no obvious indication other than the fact that a scroll bar exists that there is anything more on the page, I literally had no idea.
bickford frederick wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 pm... "Getting into the Sport of Hang Gliding" section is more negative than the news feed.
bickford frederick wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 pmCalifornia has always had the most pilots of all North America and there's no aerotowing.
How is it negative? It's just a dry list of facts. Not sure I follow the logic here. California having more pilots means the rest of the country isn't being reached well enough. As such is all the more important to ensure people understand it can be done very well in places where no mechanical lift exists. People have a better understanding of the sport in places where they can see it regularly than places where they can't.
By bickford frederick
Getting into the sport section could be moved up on the main page and simplified.

The LeadGen SG wrote years ago could be there? If i remember a visitor would type in their zip code and see a list of nearby instructors.

Most of the information on the main page should be addressed by local instructors or schools upon contact with just basic faqs on the home page.
By bickford frederick
Swiss Mishap video over 9 million views currently on YouTube.

Sucks but trying to hide or ignore it doesn't help in my opinion. It is what it is.

It'll be awhile until ultralights are perceived as safe to the general public.
By DMarley
bickford frederick wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm Swiss Mishap video over 9 million views currently on YouTube.

Sucks but trying to hide or ignore it doesn't help in my opinion. It is what it is.

It'll be awhile until ultralights are perceived as safe to the general public.
Do you really believe that 9 million views is a lot? Have a look at all the millions of views on YouTube's latest vids, all within less than a week. 9 mill is puny.
So smile. :)
I could be wrong, but I betchya that LMFP has had an increase in tandem tows since the release of the vid. Matt knows how to work it. :thumbsup: