Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

Please don't ban me! :surrender:
I have a question about buying or selling a piece of land in the US, this sounds so complex to me that I thought I would ask here, since manx memeber live there...

Long story is:
My father bought a piece of land in florida in 1972, the land is worth about nothing, but still, we want to pass it from him to my sister and myself, before father passes away and everything gets more complicated. Now: How can you do this, given the fact that my father ans sister live in Colombia and I live in switzerland?

I contacted the city where the lot is located and they told me to do a sell with afictive price through a realtor, but then there is an infinite list of realtors to choose from, and I don't even know what to ask. So I thought I throw the question here, and maybe get some ideas on how I should go.

Hope noone gets offended, just looking for ideas, thanks anyway for any inputs.
By dencor
I'm no expert, but in your situation, the first person I would talk to is a real estate attorney (lawyer). :goodidea:
By Kevin_O
Biggerpockets.com is a site for real estate investors. If you ask your question on the forums there, you will receive answers from real estate agents, attorneys, and all sorts of people in that industry. It's free to use the forums.

Good luck.
By paicolman
Thanks a lot for the tipps! I'll look around that site.
By red
paicolman wrote:Thanks a lot for the tipps! I'll look around that site.
Paicolman,

Check your PM, in the Main Menu.

:mrgreen:
By jorgeFly
A Real Estate attorney should be able to do the transfer as a gift, not very complicated, just google Real Estate attorney in the town were the property is located.
By Aldpal
Of course a local (Florida) attorney specializing in real estate could handle this but this could also easily (or for less money) be done by any real estate escrow company, with out the need or expense of hiring your own attorney. I would only contact a real estate agent to ask for a referral to an escrow company. Depending on your situation it may be as easy as filing a "quit claim deed". No problem asking real estate questions on a HG (campfire) site, But I must advise against going to legal websites for questions on how to fly HG :rofl:
By g billow
Yes Aldpal has it right. The simplest and cheapest way to go about this is to go to the county clerks/records office and file a quitclaim deed which will simply transfer ownership on the deed to the property. Your Dad will need to give up ownership to you and your sister. Since you say it is worth next to nothing you don't have to worry much about any tax savings you might get from a transfer on death.