Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By NMERider
The story: http://www.thesudburystar.com/2015/11/2 ... -from-trap
The release video: https://www.facebook.com/michael.fletch ... 108590948/
When Chelmsford brothers Michael and Neil Fletcher went into the bush near Windy Lake on Tuesday, they were looking for a few grouse to shoot.

Instead they found an eagle to save.

"We had just got into an open cut and my brother was, like, 'Oh, I just saw something,' " said Michael. "So we backed the truck up. He said, 'I think it was an eagle, but it's gone.' "

The two explored the area on foot and found a set of quad tracks. "We thought maybe someone had shot something the day before and left a gut pile (that would attract a scavenger like an eagle)," he said. "Then we saw some movement, walked in a bit, and the bald eagle was stuck there in a trap."

Fletcher said the huge bird with the signature white head had just one of its talons caught in a type of claw trap used by fur harvesters. "It was attached to a stake and the eagle was trying to fly up, but it only had a foot of slack in the chain," Michael said.

The two brothers, both in their late 20s, briefly considered calling the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry but felt it was more important to free the bird right away, and then contact the ministry.

Michael said he tugged off his hoodie and placed it over the raptor's head while they pressed on the release mechanism of the trap.

"Me and my brother just kind of held onto it, and it calmed right down," he said.

Even when they took off the hood and hoisted their feathered pal to chest-height for a photo, the bird was oddly co-operative. The expression on its face may have looked fierce, but it wasn't squawking or trying to jab them with its formidable beak or talons.

"It didn't really fuss or give any sign of aggression," Michael said. "I don't know if it knew we were helping him, or what."

Bald eagles are among the largest birds of prey in North America, with wingspans that can outstretch the height of most humans. Michael said his brother Neil stands six feet, and the bird's wings would probably unfurl to an equal length.

Fortunately those appendages weren't injured in the bird's tussle with the trap, and even the toe that was caught in the device seemed fine.

"There was no blood or anything," he said. "I don't know how long it was caught in there but I think maybe it had just been in there a little while."

Fletcher said he's glad he and his sibling were able to liberate the bird when they did, as an animal like a coyote could have easily come by later, attracted by the same bait placed at the trap, or by the eagle itself, and killed it.

And of course if nobody came by for days, the raptor would have likely exhausted itself and starved to death.

After recording their experience on film, Michael said his brother lifted the bird to shoulder height and then gave it a bit of a push, and the mighty eagle flapped off into a nearby tree.

"We watched it for 10 or 15 minutes and then we took off, and it stayed in the tree," he said.

Being that close to such an impressive bird was not something either brother will quickly forget.

"I was surprised by the size, and that it's such a beautiful bird," said Michael. "When you see the eyes up close, they're really amazing."

The two have gotten quite a bit of feedback from friends to a photo they shared on social media. One buddy playfully wrote, "Isn't it ill-eagle to take a badass selfie like that?", Michael related with a laugh.

The two did contact the MNRF, however, and certainly aren't being accused of anything unlawful.

"They just said thanks for letting it go, and that they would be contacting the trapper to see if he could set the trap differently," said Michael.

After rescuing the bird, the Fletcher brothers continued hunting for a bit, but never did see a grouse.

Michael said he wasn't disappointed, as bagging a grouse isn't quite as exciting as rescuing a bald eagle.

"It wouldn't have beaten that," he said.
Attachments
Eagle Selfie.jpg
Eagle Selfie.jpg (153.82 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
By RobertKesselring
That! is a super cool story! :thumbsup:
Add in that the guys surname is "Fletcher" it it's almost too cool to be believed.
By NMERider
RobertKesselring wrote:That! is a super cool story! :thumbsup:
Add in that the guys surname is "Fletcher" it it's almost too cool to be believed.
That's pretty funny about the last name. In case pilots don't know this, a fletcher is someone builds and sells arrows. I have no idea what kind of feather they use for this. This vendor uses turkey feathers: http://www.3riversarchery.com/truefligh ... thers.html