Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Wagner24314
well ive been looking around and have found some neat things out about the prop.
the mosquito prop has 21" of pitch 99 lbs of thrust static 0 airspeed max irspeed of 45 mph 0 thrust point also.
the bolly prop has 22" of pitch 103 lbs of thrust static 0 airspeed max air speed of 50 mph 0 thrust point also
my prop ill be testing has 30 " of picth i would guess thrust will be about the same just not at 0 mph mine wont fully fly till 10 mph forward speed is reached. so climb should be a ton better. max speed is 75 mph 0 thrust point also
By Bondy
I'd be very interested to hear how it goes. The first thing I thought is that it might bog down on light wind take offs and labour the engine most of the flight but if your light and slippery enough it could make for some long XCs.
Mine has the bolly prop (thanks for the stats) and I couldn't afford to loose any HP at 90kg but a few horses may have escaped since new.
How long untill you give it a spin Wagner and is it folding or fixed?
Do you have temp and RPM metre?
Hope it works out well for you, must be itching to get up there again, I know I am.
By Wagner24314
Bondy wrote:I'd be very interested to hear how it goes. The first thing I thought is that it might bog down on light wind take offs and labour the engine most of the flight but if your light and slippery enough it could make for some long XCs.
Mine has the bolly prop (thanks for the stats) and I couldn't afford to loose any HP at 90kg but a few horses may have escaped since new.
How long untill you give it a spin Wagner and is it folding or fixed?
Do you have temp and RPM metre?
Hope it works out well for you, must be itching to get up there again, I know I am.
yes i have a temp and rpm monitor. i dont think the enine bogging down will be a issue the mosquito prop only needs 4 hP to make 2400 rpm the engine with out prop will free run to 9000 rpm and thats engine max rpm with the prop engine only loads down to 8800 rpm thats almost 20% load so we are carrying a 18 hp engine and not using any of its true power.

yes my prop is folding also im just waiting on fiber glass to get here
By Wagner24314
here is prop mine is what i hope for
Attachments
prop data.bmp
prop data.bmp (3 MiB) Viewed 3406 times
By Bobfly
Good luck with it. 30" pitch is a huge change from a 22" but sounds like you've done your homework. Static rpm won't necessarily tell you how it will perform in the air as I found out with my ultralight phantom. If you can measure the static thrust somehow, that would tell you even more. Watch your cyl. hd. temps. during climb with that prop. Good luck and hope you have smooth air! :thumbsup:
By Wagner24314
at any rate the bolly prop has about 10 lbs of thrust more in the flight window and im getting one of those ordered.

10 lbs mor thrust is huge :mosh:
By Wagner24314
just pulled blades out of the mold. when making the mold the plug warped so pitch is less then expected at the tip. blade pitch is 23 inches of pitch at the tip and increases to 30 inches at the root.
max speed of this prop at 2400RPM should land at about 53 MPH
Attachments
P1060165.JPG
P1060165.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3336 times
P1060164.JPG
P1060164.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3339 times
By HangDog
cool looking blades, oh and uh get a new pare of socks! :lol:

hehehe
By Wagner24314
just finished the roots and adding the armor LE
Attachments
P1060166.JPG
P1060166.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3306 times
By Wagner24314
pushs way harder than i remember the other pushing
By Wagner24314
test flew the bolly prop it climbs 150 fpm faster. So now i see 400 fpm VS 250 with the mossy prop.
By boyskeletor
How Much does the Bolly prop your using cost?
By Bondy
Wagner24314 wrote:test flew the bolly prop it climbs 150 fpm faster. So now i see 400 fpm VS 250 with the mossy prop.

That's awesome Wagner, what a huge difference.

Mine was $770 AUS with tax for the blades and hub RTG or the blades are $250 each. The Bolly's also have a leading edge insert to help prevent chipping and wear with a glossy CF finish.
I ordered mine from here, http://www.airtimeproducts.com.au/atpparts.html ,Peter gives great service and you may be interested in seeing all the replacement parts they have.
By boyskeletor
I better save my pennies for a while then....If the US to AU dollar rate gets better again maybe I will get one. i bought a used explorer. I'm looking to do small power performance and reliability mods to it for now. It came with Airtimes Timber replacement prop.
By Bondy
Mine is an Explored and have done some mods, put a tuned pipe on, made a carbon intake silencer and went a Bolly folding prop. Every little bit helps, might look at rebuilding the engine soon, maybe I should have just bought a new one :?
By Wagner24314
i cut the silencer off my engine that a huge weight hit
By boyskeletor
Cutting cake and cookies out of your diet will also help cut some weight! :lol: :thumbsup:

No but really, I'm seeing that every little bit of lightening will help not only performance but Manuverability because a 50 pound harness takes some of the feeling of "freeness" out of hang gliding