Post your flying stories and flight reports here. Make sure to attach pictures if you got em!

Moderators: sg, mods

Did some surface truck tows yesterday at the Nenana airport in Nenana, AK. On my second tow I actually was able to turn into some thermals and was beyond thrilled when I looked at my vario and it read a hundred feet higher than when I previously looked at it. I got a good fifteen minute flight out of a thousand foot truck tow launch. As you all know, for a newb H2 this is just AWESOME! I'm totally excited about perfecting my thermaling skills. Best feeling EVER!

Two other H-4 pilots flew yesterday, and we all used the same Falcon III 170. I am a little under the weight range, one pilot right in the middle, and one pilot a little over the weight range. All had great flights and the wing flew beautifully. These falcons are just great wings and I'm planning on purchasing a 145.

The other pilots were able to soar quite a while and one got up to 2500 ft from a 1000 foot tow. Got to watch an old time pilot who pioneered the sport in Hawaii during the 60s/70s get his first HG flight in over a year. He had a beautiful, just perfect landing. Also towed a paraglider pilot who got to soar for a while as well. Great weekend for all. :)

Amy
Attachments
IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6118.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
IMG_6115.jpg
IMG_6115.jpg (16.96 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
IMG_6114.jpg
IMG_6114.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
By AlaskanNewb
We just gotta watch that nose angle on tow 8)
By miraclepieco
Congratulations - sounds like fun!

Are you flying with Lynn Thomas?
By JackieB
Congratulations! I have only had the tiniest taste of what soaring will be like. I launched at Lookout when it was very calm, but just beginning to get active for the day and I flew through a little lift. It was so exciting. I also can't wait to soar.
By Amethea
miraclepieco wrote:Congratulations - sounds like fun!

Are you flying with Lynn Thomas?
Not up here in Fairbanks. I finished up my training with him a few weeks ago in Anchorage, he has a great scooter tow set up down there.