Post your flying stories and flight reports here. Make sure to attach pictures if you got em!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Roadrunner
Hi Guys:

I know that thiw helmet subject is old and tired. But I am still in the same old Boat. You see, I could very well be able to fly my Hang-Glider. It is just that in the event of a punding, I want to be dressed for the occasion. I had a Helmet that while shielding the out-side of my skull. it did a very poor job of protecting what is inside my skull. i experienced axonal sheering through-out the upper right side of my Brain. So, here I sit praying that techbnology will be develloped so that Helmets can protect the wearer of said helmet. In the event of an impact., said helmet would absorb the un-wanted forces, so that the wearer of said helmet would not have his, or her brain absorb the unwanted G's.

REASON FOR THIS MESSAGE: Please, will any of you out tthere. If any of you hear about new Skull/Brain protection tecnology, will you please forward that information to me? CCMCK@GOLDSTATE.NET 925-497-1059

Thank you: The Big Guy
By AlaskanNewb
What brand helmet where you wearing at the time of your accident?
Would be nice to know to avoid that brand.
I know for sure the Charlie helmets break real easy...don't even need crash force to break the face guard.
By remmoore
It was in fact the Charley Insider. I had plenty of time to examine his helmet while he spent nearly 6 months in the hospital. Chris's head had completely compressed the EPS foam in his helmet during the impact - leaving his skull/brain to absorb the remaining force. Deceleration of his head happened way too fast, and he's been paying a huge price ever since.

RM
Last edited by remmoore on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AlaskanNewb
That doesn't surprise me. They are very cheap, yet expensive, helmets.
I wonder if a guardian caps could fit over a MX helmet or similar helmet to get the man some extra protection?
https://guardiancaps.com/
By blindrodie
I'm all for better protection, however the only way to eliminate head injury risk is to stop flying... Below from the Guardian website that you have to sign prior to entering the website.

8)

*No helmet, practice apparatus, or helmet pad can prevent or eliminate the risk of concussions or other serious head injuries while playing sports. Researchers have not reached an agreement on how the results of impact absorption tests relate to concussions. No conclusions about a reduction of risk or severity of concussive injury should be drawn from impact absorption tests.
By red
AlaskanNewb wrote:That doesn't surprise me. They are very cheap, yet expensive, helmets. I wonder if a guardian caps could fit over a MX helmet or similar helmet to get the man some extra protection?
https://guardiancaps.com/
AlaskanNewb,

Yeah, I never liked the thin yet hard Charley. I think the inner foam has to crush to protect the brain in an impact, and once it is fully crushed, any remaining energy goes into the skull.

I would question the guardiancaps also, due to their cloth surface. It may protect the other player (in football) from a strike by a hard shell, sure, but in a ground impact, it could tend to "stick" instead of slide across the ground. It may save the skull, but at the expense of twisting the neck. Like wheels on the glider, even a small amount of motion across the ground can absorb a lot of impact energy. I would favor a hard shell helmet for one person, when hitting the dirt. Foam inside the helmet then has to deal with the impact energy, so there needs to be enough foam (or other energy-absorbing stuff) in the helmet.

There are some excellent new helmet technologies out there now. About the best, IMHO, is the 6D ATR-1 Stealth Helmet. It is expensive times two, but the video shows a "field test" that must be seen to be believed. I'd ditch the sun visor, and maybe the paint job, but inside, HEY . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsqYABOSTlM

:mrgreen:
By remmoore
blindrodie wrote:I'm all for better protection, however the only way to eliminate head injury risk is to stop flying... Below from the Guardian website that you have to sign prior to entering the website.

8)

*No helmet, practice apparatus, or helmet pad can prevent or eliminate the risk of concussions or other serious head injuries while playing sports. Researchers have not reached an agreement on how the results of impact absorption tests relate to concussions. No conclusions about a reduction of risk or severity of concussive injury should be drawn from impact absorption tests.
Regarding the Guardian quote - I've seen far worse that company lawyers have required. Heck, I've heard of far worse from HG helmet manufacturers.

I'm also happy to see that you're "all for better protection", but I've also seen others use, "the only way to eliminate head injury risk is to stop flying" as a rational for flying with an obviously inferior helmet. My position is to fly with the most protective helmet I can use for HG. I personally think the Kali Protectives helmet line is among the best - and no more expensive than the typical HG helmet. Several of us fly with either the Aatma or Prana models.

http://www.kaliprotectives.com/

RM
By Roadrunner
Hi Guys:

It is really something this Brain Injury, and recovery deal that I have gotten myself into. Lately I have been writting some Helmet Manufactorers. Ihave asked very pointed, and percise question regarding how their (said helmet) would handle a sudden H-G load. How their helmet would leason the sudden G-loaed the the wearer of sad helmet. In other words I asked about how well their helmet worked. Some of the replys just blow my mind.

SOME ADVICE FOR YOU GUYS: dO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE LET A hELMET MANUFACTORER KNOW THAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THEIR HELMET FOR USE WHILE YOU ARE hANG-gLIDING. iN FACT IF YOU ARE WRITTING A mOTORCYLE helmet manufactorer, it is better to use expressions like "impact" and high "G-loads" But do not mention the words Hang-Gliding

Guys here is one more thing: most of you hae never ever met me, and you guys have never seen me fly, or more to the point: You guys have never seen me land. I want to say with out bosting too much. I should say that I land a glider pretty well. If you question that statement, maybe Robert,Moore, or Brian Holgram will vouch for my ability to stick a landing.

This sall get's me to the finale thing I will type this afternnon. The way I see it. This sittuatuion We are in. By "WE" I mean that there is not addequuette Skull-Brain Protection available for US, Yes I did say us. I see this pound deal like this: If I pounded so could you as well.

In the nean time I will just pray for skull-Brain protection technollogy to improve to the point where WE can fly knowing that if WE pound we will not shear oue's Axons.

Good By The BIG Guy