Post your flying stories and flight reports here. Make sure to attach pictures if you got em!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Richard Saffold
2nd row7 Tom Haddon
F-4 was a young girl that was with Pete Brock. Not a competitor.

Ironically Pete's son young son Hall died when his standard rogallo dove into the ground. My brother and I who were flying UP gliders at that time begged Pete to throw some reflex into the keel so make it more pitch stable.

Doesn't matter when you are one of the most experienced and knowledgable pilots of the time when you are 18, too often the adults wouldn't listen, and I saw several go in because of it.
By DHMead
3R7 is Paul Courtney
F13 is Tom Vayda, not Keith
By Dave Gills
You folks are doing well with that old picture..

For bonus points...Name the dog :mrgreen:
By Yourpictures
Hello, does anyone know who Capt Dave Blood, Blair Andrews, Rolly, Mike Miller, Jim Lee, Rob Kelly, or Marianne??

If so I have found a lot of photos of them and there hang gliding adventures from the 70's & 80's. And there is LOTS OF THEM. I don't want to throw them away so I'm on here trying to find the owner of these photos. I live in Los Angeles. Please feel free to contact me either by text or by phone call at (818) 216-5151. Thanks, Jeff Shaffer
Attachments
IMG_7341.JPG
IMG_7341.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 33180 times
IMG_7344.JPG
IMG_7344.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 33184 times
By Everard
I have identified some, possibly all, of the Brits present in the photo, mainly from photos in old magazines, although I also met some over the years. (Can't see John England.) Also I have had a go at the non-Brits, of whom I recognize some. I have done my best to use previous posters' info for the others.

Image B1 = Joe Greblo

Image B2 = Kris Greblo (sitting on Joe's shoulders)

Image B4 = Steve Rhefield

Image B8 = Jeff Burnett

Image 2nd Row 1 =W.A. Roecker, sometimes known as 'Pork'

Image 2ndRow3 = Burke Ewing

Image 2ndRow5 = Dave Beardslea

Image 2ndRow7 = Tom Haddon

Image 2ndRow8 = I think this might be Graham Slater, one of the Brits

Image 2ndRow11 = Glen Hockett?

Image 2ndRow15 = Keith Reynolds, another Brit

Image 2ndRow16 = George Whitehill

Image 2ndRow19 = This looks to me like Johnny Carr (way over on the right, blue t-shirt) but another Brit at the event insists that Johnny was not there that year... :?

Image 2ndRow20 = Brian Wood (far right in white Moyes t-shirt) first ever British hang gliding champion (1974)

Image 3Row1 = Greg Patronyk

Image 3Row4 = Larry Tudor (behind Pete Brock)

Image 3Row6 = Steve Moyes (also behind Pete Brock) (same design t-shirt as Brian Wood)

Image 3Row7 = Paul Courtney

Image 3Row9 = Bob Calvert, another top Britisher

Image 3Row11 = Robert Bailey, a Brit flying for Wills Wing that year

Image 3Row12 = Roy Haggard, designer of the 1974 Dragonfly manufactured by UP, and designer of the 1979 UP Comet, derivatives of which most of us fly

Image 3Row13 = Sterling Stoll

Image 3Row19 = Bryan Allen, who pedalled across the English channel to France in Paul MacCready's Gossamer Albatross

Image 3Row20 = 'Bille F' ?

Image 3Row21 = Dennis Pagen

Image 3Row22 = John Huddert

Image 3Row23 = Bill Liscomb?

Image 3Row24 = Terri Hughes

Image 3Row26 = Rich Grigsby

Image 3Row29 = Standing at right with green short sleeve shirt. I reckon that might be John Ogden, who finished in second place behind Steve Moyes. However, I would expect him to be wearing a Moyes t-shirt, which he is not...

Image F1 = Sean Dever?

Image F5 = Dean Tanji

Image F6 = Mike Ireland or Steve Pearson (one vote for each so far)

Image F7 = Keith Nichols

Image F9 = Jean-Michel Bernasconi

Image F10 = 'John H' or Rob Kells (one vote for each so far)

Image F11 = Randy Rouk

Image F12 = Richard Saffold

Image F13 = Tom Vayda

Image F15 = Dennis Miller

Image F16 = Larry Croome

Image F18 = Chris Price
By Everard
Image 2ndRow19 = Johnny Carr (way over on the right, blue t-shirt) -- confirmed by Johnny in this topic on the British hangies Facebook group

Incidentally, there seems to be no separate mugshot for Pete Brock, founder of Ultralight Products. He is standing at left in denim and red or pink shirt, thumbs in pockets, next to the young girl.
By Everard
Image 3Row28 = Sharon Grigsby? She and Rich have their arms intertwined (if that is the correct term). Have I got her name right? My memory is terrible, but that is the name that pops into my head: Sharon. Apologies if I have it wrong.

Image 3Row18 = I think this might be Rob Kells, but I never met him, so feel free to correct me if my guess is wrong. (Just off Bryan Allen's right shoulder and vertically aligned under Kris and Joe Greblo.)

If that is right, that narrows this one down to...
Image F10 = 'John H' (although I do not know who that might be)

In his article in Hang Gliding, October 1978, Jim Lawrence says Brian Wood, a Brit, is Australian. I now realize why. Brian was part of the Moyes team. See his t-shirt (far right) and Steve Moyes (over on the left behind Pete Brock, next to Larry Tudor).

I have met about half a dozen of these people in person and they are rubbing shoulders with people I only ever read about, saw photos of, read their books (Dennis Pagen) and articles they wrote (W.A. Roecker), saw films they made (Burke Ewing, Bill Liscomb) and flew hang gliders they designed (Jean-Michel Bernasconi)...
By Everard
Pete Brock (standing at left in denim) and Burke Ewing (wearing bandit mask) are also among 37 individuals identified in a group photo taken five years earlier at Sylmar, California. See Annie Green Springs 1973 briefing photo key in Hang Gliding History.

As we are on page 2 (at least in my browser and login) here is the main photo repeated:
Photo provided by building designer 3Row22 = John Huddert according to original poster Fred Wilson
By jbjuggler
Amazing to see this photo after all these years. The pilots I remember are:
3,12 Roy Hazard
3,19 Brian Allen
3,21 John Brant (me)
3,26 Rich Grisby
Front Row 5, Dean Tanji
F,18 Chris Price

Thanks for posting this. I had fun at that meet, and have fond memories of Grandfather Mountain. I wish I could have flown it again.

John Brant
By BlueDreams
Hi, great shot

Here’sa few more:
3 row 20 is my late great pal Marty Alameda
To the right of Marty in that row with the blond bushy curly hair is me, Jim Lawrence (with my ex wife leaning against me)
Behind me to the left is John Duthie, former Canadian National champion
Will see if I recognize any others.