Post your flying stories and flight reports here. Make sure to attach pictures if you got em!

Moderators: sg, mods

By BBJCaptain
So I was getting the ATIS before flying back to Vegas for the 3rd time and someone was zooming around today
Attachments
HG on ATIS.jpg
HG on ATIS.jpg (249.2 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Last edited by BBJCaptain on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By NMERider
That's Dockweiller Beach (sand dune) which is a mile South of LAX. This is where Windsports gives HG lessons.
By Jatay
I went thru LAX on a trip the other day as well. I was as surprised to see that on ATIS as you must have been. Having gone through there for years, I don't recall seeing that in the transcribed broadcast.

We grabbed a sandwich and went out and watched the training for a bit. It were fun.

http://windsports.com/
Attachments
123.JPG
123.JPG (162.64 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
By BBJCaptain
Yeah, I have been going in there for the last 10+ yrs and that is the
very first time I had see the heads up on the ATIS.

My F/O said, well, it can't be you cuz your setting right here :lol:

I'll have to go check it out next time I have a layover.
By NMERider
BBJCaptain wrote:....My F/O said, well, it can't be you cuz your setting right here :lol:

I'll have to go check it out next time I have a layover.
:rofl: The soaring ceiling at Dockweiller is 50'. I recall reading back in the late 70's the B****r brothers from Illinois were out at Playa Del Rey (now Dockweiller) with a Cirrus 5b and Soarmaster power pack and climbed to 500' and into the flight path of approaching aircraft. :cuss: :crazy:
By Jatay
Maybe the FAA is trying to promote hang gliding!

I will contact the tower and see if we can get the link to WindSports included in the ATIS........

It would read something like:

"........USE CAUTION FOR HANG GLIDING 1 MILE SOUTH OF LOS ANGELES VOR. FMI WWW.WINDSPORTS.COM...

Think of all the flight crew that read/hear the transcribed weather broadcast everyday. My bet is they had always wanted to try hang gliding. Here's the chance. Learn to fly all over again.....I did!

What a great way to spend a layover. Flightcrew would eventually become addicted to hang gliding and begin stashing gliders (like girl friends) all over the world. It could morph into some kind of network of shared gliders. We could get the A&P's involved with free access to the gliders in exchange for upkeep of the fleet.

You heard it here first.........