Post your flying stories and flight reports here. Make sure to attach pictures if you got em!

Moderators: sg, mods

What a beautiful day to kick off the season at Highland Aerosports. The beautiful weather brought lots of pilots out to the park and all were rewarded with nice flights. I was excited about the prospect of flying a task with John Simon and Felix. My son Taylor and I arrived early and I decided to take a quick flight to see what the air was doing while John pulled a task together for us. I released at 2500' to find lift everywhere and actually had to work pretty hard to get back down, turning away from lift and circling in sink. When I finally made it back to the ground, I was optimistic about the prospect of having a fun little XC flight. John put together a nice little 24.8 mile triangle task for us from Ridgely to Wye Mills, North to another point which I don't remember the name of off hand and back to Ridgely. I have only done one other significant out and back task, so I was pretty excited about flying a triangle. There is something awesome about venturing out away from the flight park and landing back at the field that is extra rewarding. I headed toward Wye Mills at around 5200AGl with Felix behind me. Unfortunately it wasn't far into that first leg that I lost track of Felix and was on my own until John I spotted John, as he launched last, with a tandem in between he and I. As we worked our way to Wye Mills, I started struggling and got drilled down to around 1500'. I clawed around for what seemed like 20 minutes trying to get back above 2K. Around a mile Northeast of Wye Mills, I got back to 2500' and it was getting easier.....at 3500' the lift was pretty wide spread an around 4K I am guessing, I was in a screamer at sustained 1000'/minute according to my averager. At 6K I went on the short glide to tag the waypoint and headed back to may last thermal. By the time I got back there, I was down to around 4500' or so and it was still working well and I topped out at around 6300' before heading to the next waypoint. By this time, I figured John had completed the task and was back at the park, but just after topping out, I spot John, who had been watching me flounder and waiting for me the whole time, what a stud. It was cool to go on glide with him to the next waypoint and work together a little, as I have usually been at it alone when flying XC. After tagging the last waypoint I hung around trying to top out in whatever lift there was, just to be sure that I had enough in the tank to make it back to Ridgely..... I may have been a little overly conservative there, as I had Ridgely on about a 5 to 1 by the time I went on my final glide. After the flight, John gave me some good constructive criticism on team flying and working together a little better, so I look forward to more practice soon.

My son Taylor joined me for the day and after things settled down, he got to take his first tandem flight with Sunny. He was super excited of course and was buzzing about it the whole way home. Mom has not been super excited about the idea of him doing a tandem, so I am trying to find the right time to break the news to her...... Needless to say, I will probably be in a little hot water.

It was great to meet Bruce and his wife (I apologize, I am terrible with names, but I know it starts with an "A.") Super nice people and a great addition to the local flying community.

Good Times!

My son Taylor enjoying his first flight.

By dave hopkins
:yay:

We had the same conditions at Ellenville with a convergence laying almost across launch. At 2500 msl lift went to 1000 fpm with base at 7800' .
It was my first flight since sept on my VR. It was nice to motor around. Some parts of the convergence were to be avoided. I was bailing at 5500 because of the cold.
End of the day I went down to Wurtsboro glider port and had to find a sink hole to get below 3k. I landed just before the convergence came through there.

Dave
By Lucky_Chevy
When does Taylor start his lessons at Blue Sky? Don't tell me it isn't in the works.
By lostgriz
Believe me I would start him in a minute. The tandem didn't go over too well with Momma Bear, we will have to wait for the dust to settle before we start talking about lessons. :shock:
By Darbbb
lostgriz wrote:Believe me I would start him in a minute. The tandem didn't go over too well with Momma Bear, we will have to wait for the dust to settle before we start talking about lessons. :shock:
Uh oh. But man, one look at that pic and how much fun he's having... hard to resist!

But if Momma ain't happy, then ain't nobody happy.... :surrender:
By blindrodie
The tandem didn't go over too well with Momma Bear
Oops!

Let your son handle it! :wink:

8)
By pjwings
Nice flight man! I always enjoy reading flight reports like this one. Sounds like an excellent day to be in the sky! :thumbsup:

Where's the IGC/KML file? I wanna check out where you're flying and how your climbs looked. :)
By lostgriz
I will pull it off tonight and post it here. I will drop it in SeeYou and post an animation if my demo version will still allow me to. :lol:
By pjwings
Awesome! I don't know if you're into it, but both of these online flight databases are useful for uploading IGC files to share with friends. It's nice to be able to send a web link that has the stats right there and also provides access to the IGC file and will also render a KML file for you. The leonardo tool hosted at the pg forum has the best KML output I've found including a summary of each climb, each glide, and cool stuff like that.

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonard ... akeoff:all

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/pa ... ubcountry=
By lostgriz
pjwings wrote:Awesome! I don't know if you're into it, but both of these online flight databases are useful for uploading IGC files to share with friends. It's nice to be able to send a web link that has the stats right there and also provides access to the IGC file and will also render a KML file for you. The leonardo tool hosted at the pg forum has the best KML output I've found including a summary of each climb, each glide, and cool stuff like that.

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonard ... akeoff:all

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/pa ... ubcountry=
Thanks for the links Paul, I will check them out. :thumbsup:
By flysurfski
Always nice to see Sunny introducing another person to HG....I personally learned a bunch of things from him @ KHK back in the day.... :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:
(including the 2 step flare)
By lostgriz
fly,surf,&ski wrote:Always nice to see Sunny introducing another person to HG....I personally learned a bunch of things from him @ KHK back in the day.... :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:
(including the 2 step flare)
Sunny is a good Dude for sure. I always have a good time at Highland Aerosports.