Post your flying stories and flight reports here. Make sure to attach pictures if you got em!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Cal Glider
Yup, I'm back...forecast for The Gin tomorrow is NW at 14-16. Going to head up there early in the morning and I hope I can get some soaring time in on my new wing. Here is Mark Knight (Sonora Wings) test flying my F-4 at Crestline
Mark named it The Bumble Bee glider :rofl: I told him flat out, if my glider turns into a giant 60ft tall alien robot, I am bringing it back! :ahh:

I am sooo looking forward to getting back in the sky.

Andy
Attachments
Mark K flying The Bumble Bee_0002.jpg
Mark K flying The Bumble Bee_0002.jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Mark K flying The Bumble Bee_0001.jpg
Mark K flying The Bumble Bee_0001.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
By Helix
Beautiful color scheme. Curious to hear how F4 flies compared to your previous wings.
By Bobfly
Beautiful color scheme and congratulations on the new wing. I look forward to seeing you in the sky. :thumbsup:
By Cal Glider
All of the weather channels lie! Every one of them forecast north winds on the 28...NOT! I never even took my wing off the truck. Helix, as to how it flies compared my last glider…that was a Predator142. That’s kind of an apple/orange thing. I never saw any yellow and black HGs, as soon as I place my order, I see 5or 6 of them. A big thought behind the color scheme was safety, I fly alone out here in the desert. If I were forced to land out or heaven forbid a crash, you can SEE this wing! But the day was still worth going. My friend Ed an HG pilot from Canada were hang waiting when a (VERY LARGE) raptor soared past. The great white head and tail feathers made identification easy, a bald eagle! This is the first one I have ever seen in the Palo Verde Valley, such an awesome bird. Wish I would have been in the sky with it. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Cal Glider on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Helix
Cal Glider wrote:AS to how it flies compared my last glider…that was a Predator142. That’s kind of an apple/orange thing.
Humor a fledgling? Teach me about apples + oranges, Mr. Cal Glider.
By Cal Glider
The Pred is an older high performance wing made by UP and it was a good one for its day. I can't remember where the competition was held, but it gave the new wings a run for their money in a speed contest, it came in second. I would still be flying it, but I am a disabled vet with a broken back. I am being held together with titanium rods, screws and brackets. The Predator required too much set-up assembly for me. It had 34 battens + two tip struts and it was too heavy for me to ground handle too. I had to carry it back up from Marshal launch to the set up area once Than just about did the old vet in.
The Falcon-4 I have now has only 10 battens and weighs only 48lbs. I will miss the glide of a high performance wing, but it got down to fly a Falcon, or don’t fly at all and that ain’t an option. I have been flying for going on 44 years now. As long as I can pick up a glider and still fly it safely, I will do so. My friend and fellow pilot Ed is well into his 60s and he is still flying, I hope to do the same.
Hmmm a nice sledder at Yosemite would be a nice way to celebrate my 60th birthday…
By Helix
Cal Glider wrote: Hmmm a nice sledder at Yosemite would be a nice way to celebrate my 60th birthday…
Thank you for taking the time to teach me, Cal Glider.

Much respect to you for tenaciously continuing to fly.

It would be an honor to drive for you at Yosemite for your birthday. (60th birthdays are highly honored in my culture.)

Messaging you my digits.
By FMAN
That looks like a sweet glider!

I'd like to have one for myself. I'd probably get the short-pack option and something similar color wise. Your bumblebee would definitely be highly visible in the area where you fly in the air and on the ground I think. Hope for you to get a good weather day and go flying soon. :thumbsup:
By danmoser
I've always been fond of the high contrast black & yellow color scheme. :thumbsup:
As with the bumble bee itself.. which aerodynamicists used to say cannot theoretically fly ... You, my friend, are flying in reality in spite of what others may think .. keep it up, Andy !!! :mosh: :mosh:

It's been a miserable winter for flying in Utah.. if not smoggy inversions, it's snowstorms ..
So please do tell: where is "the Gin" and what's that site all about? .. and when should us airtime-deprived northerners look to travel there for a bit of airtime??
The only flying I've done lately is with a bottle of the other kind of Gin :lol:
sorry, terrible pun :oops: