Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By captclem
The Indian Valley Bailout LZ is closed to hang gliding as per the owners. If you can help find a solution please contact me. Thanks Dave C. ( 707) five9two- 6 eight7seven
By DAVE 858
That sucks.... What lead to this? That field is tiny & treacherous anyway. Is it really that far of a glide to the main LZ? I don't recall it being that big of a stretch.
By remmoore
DAVE 858 wrote:That sucks.... What lead to this? That field is tiny & treacherous anyway. Is it really that far of a glide to the main LZ? I don't recall it being that big of a stretch.
The usual - new owners, wary of liability and litigation, tied in with careless pilots unconcerned with the fragility of the transitional situation.

The valley LZ's can be a long glide, depending on conditions. Early/mid-afternoon air seems to be very sinky between the bailout and valley. Late afternoon glassoff is a piece of cake, but there are those who will find a way to sink out anyway.

I wrote up some tips for soaring in IV (and thus avoiding the bailout) last year on my club's BB. The new status of the bailout makes those tips more valuable, IMO:

http://wingsofrogallo.org/board/viewtop ... f=6&t=2020
By DAVE 858
Just looked it up, its roughly a 4.1 glide to the main LZ. As far as land owner opinions are concerned, if you have to bail you have to bail. Do it in a safe place & if you piss off some redneck land owner then so be it. Carry scotch, who doesn't like scotch? :thumbsup:
Last edited by DAVE 858 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Roadrunner
I remember years ago is now. Well I believe I was a Hang two. I was up on that launch up on the ridge. I do not remember the name of the ridge. Maybe
Pilot X can give some help with the name of the launch. Well being a novice Hang-Glider Pilot I was sweating the glide to Town. Well as it turned out getting to Town would not be aq problem for me. For I found abundant Thermals along the way. The result for me and my Wills Wing 225 FAlcon and I was I ended up over Town at 7,500 Feet..

Indian Valley is a fun site to Fly. I want to when I am flying again to take my Predator up there and do some Flying.
By jimmygoat
Dave 858, that's what got the LZ closed in the first place.
By billgates
[quote="DAVE 858"]Just looked it up, its roughly a 4.1 glide to the main LZ. [/quote]

According to Google Earth calculations, the bailout is a 4.1:1 glide from the burn launch.

The valley is about a 6.7:1 glide from the burn launch.
By Gliderpollas
Roadrunner wrote:I remember years ago is now. Well I believe I was a Hang two. I was up on that launch up on the ridge. I do not remember the name of the ridge. Maybe
Pilot X can give some help with the name of the launch. Well being a novice Hang-Glider Pilot I was sweating the glide to Town. Well as it turned out getting to Town would not be aq problem for me. For I found abundant Thermals along the way. The result for me and my Wills Wing 225 FAlcon and I was I ended up over Town at 7,500 Feet..

Indian Valley is a fun site to Fly. I want to when I am flying again to take my Predator up there and do some Flying.
Hi guys! do you use any kind of gauges to measure your heigth??
By Comet
Gliderpollas wrote: Hi guys! do you use any kind of gauges to measure your heigth??
Yes, most everyone carries sophisticated altimeters, rate-of-climb indicators, GPS units, etc.

By DAVE 858
jimmy goat wrote:Dave 858, that's what got the LZ closed in the first place.
OH! Well I'll just land in the trees next time then....
By red
Gliderpollas wrote:Hi guys! do you use any kind of gauges to measure your heigth??
Gliderpollas,

The newer variometers have altimeters inside, which report the height of the unit. Almost any altimeter will be accurate enough to provide basic information. If the numbers are so close to the safety limits that a very accurate instrument is needed, it would be far too risky to fly at that site, because the air may be lifting or sinking as you glide.

To "explore" flying sites via Internet, GoogleEarth can show you aerial views of these places. There is a distance-measuring tool (the yardstick icon) to find the distance between the launch point and the landing field. There is a digital readout at the bottom of the screen that gives you the elevation (height) of the ground where the cursor is located. You can get these numbers as Metric or Imperial units.

If the launch point is 1,300m high, and the landing field is 300m high, and the distance between them is 2 km, then you will need a glider that can glide at least 4:1 to get to the field safely. Wind conditions and lift/sink areas can change this basic requirement, so it is most important to your safety that you have experienced HG pilots with you to evaluate the site and conditions, before anybody flies there on any day. The quality of any flying site literally changes with the weather, so there is much to be learned, to fly safely.
By remmoore
billgates wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:56 pm
DAVE 858 wrote:Just looked it up, its roughly a 4.1 glide to the main LZ.
According to Google Earth calculations, the bailout is a 4.1:1 glide from the burn launch.

The valley is about a 6.7:1 glide from the burn launch.
I took a few minutes to calculate the glide to the three most popular LZ's in Indian Valley:

Meyer's (sometimes called The Woodpile) - 6.8:1
Snow White - 7.6:1
Dave's - 7.8:1

I thought it was interesting to note that even the closest edge of the valley is 6.8:1 - might as well fly toward Meyer's. On days where I'm not finding much lift, I like to fly in the direction of Dave's. The flight path has me flying across a number of spines, which often are kicking off thermals - even lower on the ridge.

RM