Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By Blue_Skies
Hey Guys and Gals,

I was wondering what (if any) extra gear can be carried on a flight? Say if I wanted to take a cooker and some food etc?

Cheers for any info.
By NMERider
Blue_Skies wrote:Hey Guys and Gals,

I was wondering what (if any) extra gear can be carried on a flight? Say if I wanted to take a cooker and some food etc?

Cheers for any info.
Sounds like vol biv flying and that's really a PG thing.
I know there are some pretty portable cookers, so really anything you can stuff into your harness than won't cause an accident is possible. My O2 cylinder is a lot bigger than a portable cooker and food and it hides behind my legs in my race harness.
I also fly with my cover bags tied to my crossbar which frees up much space inside my harness storage.
By skyphil
NMERider wrote:Sounds like vol biv flying and that's really a PG thing.

I also fly with my cover bags tied to my crossbar which frees up much space inside my harness storage.
Didier Favre (HG Pilot) from Switzerland was the first to do vol biv. Today, it's a paraglider thing I guess, but one very motivated HG pilot could try to emulate Didier's 444 or 1111!

Please elaborate on how you tie your stuff on the crossbar!
By NMERider
skyphil wrote:
NMERider wrote:Sounds like vol biv flying and that's really a PG thing.

Didier Favre (HG Pilot) from Switzerland was the first to do vol biv. Today, it's a paraglider thing I guess, but one very motivated HG pilot could try to emulate Didier's 444 or 1111!

Please elaborate on how you tie your stuff on the crossbar!
I tried but could not find my photos. I'll take some more next time I fly.
By red
Blue_Skies wrote:Hey Guys and Gals,
Cheers for any info.
Blue_Skies,

Welcome to our campfire. Pull up a seat, grab a cold one, and be among friends. 8)

You can take a couple of kilos of almost anything that you can name, but a cooker might be a bit much. Almost anything you may want to cook probably needs refrigeration along the way. Hikers' meals are often good choices, with sealed packets, light weight, high nutrient value, and nothing extra needed. Some items are good to eat in-flight, but I recommend having drinking water to go with any solid foods in the sky.

The HG WIKI here has many useful suggestions, which you can tailor to your particular locations and flying style. Nobody should have every possible item, of course. I fly over the desert SouthWest, USA. Coastal pilots would not need some of the things that I want on board.

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/Essenti ... ur_harness
http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/Essenti ... HG_vehicle

We have a lot of videos available here. These videos can give some real insights into our "personal flight" experiences.

:mrgreen:
By DAVE 858
Chem Light
Lighter
Small 1st aid kit
Ball cap
1small water bottle
Knife
Petzl Head Lamp
Space blanket

Of all this crap the one piece of it that came in handy when I really needed it was the damn space blanket. I went to a fly in at Hat Creek & forgot my damn sleeping bag & I had to use the space blanket! It got cold that night & it really came in handy because all I had for clothes was board shorts & a hoodie sweatshirt.
By Nicos
NMERider wrote:I also fly with my cover bags tied to my crossbar which frees up much space inside my harness storage.
— ever heard of that causing any problems NME? I stopped doing that because... well, I don't really know why.
By Roadrunner
Wll it's not really gear as such. but I have flown my Predator 158 while I used good old water as Ballast. I was around 270 Lbs. then. But using the water as a ballast I was able to get my Hook-in weight to be 340 pounds.

It was a good thing to be able to drain some water-weight from my Ballast bag before I landed the Glider if I chose to do so. I chose not to exercise the option of draining off some water weight before I landed my Glider. The Predator really liked having the weight on board. I recall, that when I tried this out while I flew the Glider at McClure, McClure is one of my favorite Flying sites.

I remember diving my Predator and coming ripping down the Chute. Then letting the Glider bleed off speed and then when the Down-Tubes let me know it was the correct Time for me to Flair I Jammed it. Good No-Step landing I had while my hook-in weight was 340 Lbs. I remember my friend K-M came upto me and said to me: "I swatched your landing from above you Big Guy. Killer No-Step Landing Big Guy"

One more thought here. I sure miss K-M. I find myself thinking about him every day!
By once&future
Nicos wrote:
NMERider wrote:I also fly with my cover bags tied to my crossbar which frees up much space inside my harness storage.
— ever heard of that causing any problems NME? I stopped doing that because... well, I don't really know why.
I've done this pretty much forever (at least as far back as the Magic IV's I used to fly in the 80's and all through various Moyes wings in the 90's and 00's) and not had a problem. Fold bag in thirds. Lay the 5-6 foot long folded bag along the front of the crossbar, tucking the ends in on top, but not so much that it distorts the top surface of the sail. Pull the center section of the bag out in front of the crossbar junction so that it doesn't interfere with bar movement. Secure with a couple of sail straps on either side of junction. Done.

I've never noticed any handling issue associated with this method.
By DAVE 858
Nicos wrote:
I store my bag on the crossbar, part of my preflight check is to ensure full function of the VG rope after the bags are tied on to the crossbar.
By Nicos
Cool, thanks :)