Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By robertgskinner@yahoo.com
I'm looking for a vario to do my first XC / first XC comp with.
I currently have a Flytec 6010, but "think" I'd like something to help me with thermalling and GPS.
Most of my flying time locally is ridge soaring, so I'm not sure whether to get a new vario that has GPS, or get something like a Kobo with XCSoar GPS on it and fly with both for XC, just vario locally.
Thoughts ?
By andylongvq
Anything that allows you to put your glider's polar into it. That's a big one if you want to get the most out of your glider when flying XC.

- Andy
By MBrosig
andylongvq wrote:Anything that allows you to put your glider's polar into it. That's a big one if you want to get the most out of your glider when flying XC.

- Andy
DigiFly has helped me during flights. The big plus for me is support. Every time I had a question that was not responded in the forum, they got back to me really quick. There is one with a nice pod in the classified session.

There are also a lot of people using the 6030, it is the default vario for competition. From what I understand, it is no longer produced and I don't know what will happen in the future. There is one in the classified session of OZreport.

Good luck with your search,
-mb
Thanks for the suggestions ....
I was looking at and eReader with XCSoar installed on it.
That lets you enter Polars, Cyliners, Waypoints, etc.
Does the thermal assist thing too.
Looks pretty complex though.
Do other people use those ?
Damn... That DigiFly looks really cool ...
Why does the guy want $850 for it when you can get anew one for $700?
By Wonder Boy
robertgskinner@yahoo.com wrote:Damn... That DigiFly looks really cool ...
Why does the guy want $850 for it when you can get anew one for $700?
The bad ass carbon pod is included :thumbsup:

By seb
Right...the vario itself is a bluetooth model with pito setup.- new 715
carbon pod is 250 .

This totals 965 without shipping from factory. This doesnt even include the bar mount which is another 50 bucks if its from italy. I used a flytec bar mount set up (75.00) and I machined the shaft and barrel out of titanium for the mount. The one from flytec will not work.

If you want the vario Ill separate if Mbrosig wants the pod as he contacted me about it before since he already has the vario.
By entelin
I did a bunch of research on this a few months back. XCSoar would be a good option, but the trouble is getting the good quality sensors all in one package. For example this thing: https://www.xctracer.com a nice audio vario that can send gps and vaio info over BT, except it lacks airspeed... There's one I found that does everything but it's kinda long and you would need to also design your own pod for it. Extra batteries, etc etc it would be quite a project to get a proper package together. Of course you have the premade stuff like the kobo based products, but there again, they are aimed at paragliders and are just too big to be practical for hanggliding, and they aren't going to fit in a pod.

Or you can just get a Digifly Air BT, which does everything, pods are available, and if you really still wanted to use XCSoar, the Air BT can act as a data source, though I'm not sure why you would bother at that point.

So yeah I picked up an Air BT, it's pretty nice, has everything you would want I think. I was hesitant about going the 6030 route as they discontinued the product, and the flytec connect is just nowhere close to ready yet, it doesn't even have a pitot tube option yet.
By wonderwind_flyer
I have been using a Kobo Mini E-reader paired with a BlueFlyVario TTL-GPS version variometer for several years. As the previous poster mentioned there is no easy solution for accurate airspeed data. XCSoar can estimate wind speed and wind direction using GPS data (when circling or zig-zag flight) but the accuracy is not high and the information is not instantaneous. However, if you are the type of person that enjoys tinkering with putting a system together, doing a little programming/interfacing and doesn’t mind a little soldering … this is a fun project with a cost under $150 (depending on which components you select). I also installed a small Ion SnapCam (the little blue square thing in my photo) to the back side of my Kobo ‘pod’ (just a heat shrunk drinking water bottle). Not exactly an elegant vario solution but the price point is decent, battery time excellent and the readability in direct sunlight is outstanding.

I have also recently been using a very small Posh Micro X 240 cell phone with a BlueFlyVario Bluetooth vario unit. I wear the incredibly small phone (just 1.5â€￾ x 3.5â€￾ … compare it to the standard-sized Samsung phone in the photo) on my wrist and the Bluetooth vario in a protective pouch velcroed to my harness shoulder strap. Cell phone readability is marginal on sunny days but by having the phone on my wrist I can tilt it to reduce reflections. Again, no airspeed data though. Readability of the screen is pushing the visual limit because the text is very small … but it works. Cost here is also just under $150.

When these units become outdated … I’ll probably do as the previous poster mentioned and go for a single all-in-one device such as the Digifly Air BT.
Attachments
IMG_20161223_095457501.jpg
IMG_20161223_095457501.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
IMG_20161223_095333169_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161223_095333169_HDR.jpg (144.02 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
By Litespeeder
XC soar is a useful tool, I like to use it along side my 6030 , while the 6030 provides most of the info I need for flying tasks, whether its in a comp or going XC with friends on a planned flight. What I like about XC soar is that you can see your course/task overlaid on a map, rather than +/- info the 6030 gives you. I use a samsung phone with a mophie juice pack case on it, it seems to give it enough power to do the flight and make a call for retrieve after landing. I put velcro on the back of the phone case and some on the pod/flight deck and have not had a problem.
By entelin
I could imagine that one other potentially cool thing about having a cellphone available is being able to check the radar or wind maps.
By Litespeeder
I forgot to mention that I put the phone in airplane mode for battery savings.