Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By Helix3
Out of curiosity, do any HG pilots replace their steel carabiner periodically as scheduled maintenance?

Surprised to learn the AustriAlpin Tropos has a maximum operational life of 1500 flight hours or 5 years.
By raquo
So far I've been getting new carabiners with carabiner recalls and new harnesses :) I'm hoping this will change eventually.

I'm also quite confused why a steel carabiner has such a limited lifespan. Can't be metal fatigue already? Maybe just a liability thing to make recalls cheaper...
By Comet
raquo wrote: I'm also quite confused why a steel carabiner has such a limited lifespan. Can't be metal fatigue already? Maybe just a liability thing to make recalls cheaper...
My question also. I speculate that:

1) They assume that after 5 years it's inevitably had enough impacts from normal handling to compromise its integrity. I can understand this in mountaineering where carabiners frequently contact rocks, but not in hang gliding, where they probably NEVER suffer an impact in their working life.

2) It's just a way for manufacturers to put a time limit on their own liability, AND multiply sales. Add in the fact that such a policy offers a pretext of safety and it's a win,win,WIN!