Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By Soarcerer
Hello All,

With a week-off next week, i'm wondering how to make use of it. I'm wondering if it's worth it to give paragliding a try. Apparently there's a good school near Wenatchee here in Washington. I could do some hang gliding as well.

How many people here are bi-wingual?

I'm a brand-new H2 - how soon is too soon to start getting into other air sports?

Opinions?
By AIRHEADSHORTCUT
i'm often asked which do I like better. My answer has always been that they are different enough that you could be passionate about both. Very different action sensations. There are also pros and cons for both.

I'm trying to remember when I was a newly minted H2...I'm remembering that Hang Gliding is ALL I wanted to do!

I'm thinking that if I had had a week-off to go fly.and knowing what I know now..I would DEFINITELY go FULL HARD on the Hang Gliding! It's now where you can learn a whole lot. If you've got good weather...Add another lesson in there...Hire a driver! (maybe a pretty one with nice hooters)..and do as much Hang gliding as you can right now!

Paraglding can wait...maybe for a time when you think you might want take a flying vacation to a faraway place.

-Greg
By jj colorado
Not yet. Wait until you are at least a H3 and then consider if you really want to also PG. If you try both now, you will likely not be good at either and miss out on a lot of good flying. HG is certainly better and opens up more opportunities. Get good at HG first, fly as often as you can. You can fly a HG in lighter as well as much stronger conditions than you can a PG. And you don't need to keep thinking about it balling up into a mess if the air gets active on you.
By CHassan
It's all about flying. Doesn't matter how, doesn't matter what, just fly!

There is a time for the bag, a time for the rag, and a reason to get a stiffy! :roll:
By Felix
Living at Point of the Mountain in Utah I said what the heck and gave PG a try. Became a P2. It sure was fun learning! I really like kiting and playing with the bag. However once in the air I felt it just wasn't flying. I eventually sold my PG since I just wasn't flying it much. Yes, it's great for convenience but if I really want to fly only HG will do. Plus, I personally found PG to be a lot more complicated and the door for danger seemed MUCH bigger and wide open.
I may pick it back up one day but for now I'll be sticking with HG.
By mbadley
When people ask me about PG vs HG - I reply with this:

PG beats HG in EVERY SINGLE WAY there is to compare them..... until you get in the air.
By combat.is.hell
mbadley wrote:When people ask me about PG vs HG - I reply with this:

PG beats HG in EVERY SINGLE WAY there is to compare them..... until you get in the air.
I totally agree. I have only ever had a tandem flight with PG and it was just as unexciting as I imagined.

My two cents: go for FLPHG

If you go for both HG and PG then you will have to make sure you fly enough of both in order to keep yourself current and maintain an acceptable level of safety. If you only fly HG then, well, things become easier in that respect. Buying and training FLPHG will likely cost you as much as training & buying equipment for paragliding. With a motor unit you will fly on "non-flyable" days, you will fly without need for driver, you will be able to squeeze in a flight after coming home from work etc. You will fly more and get your money's worth for your wing.

After more than 8 years of mosquito flying I am still just as excited going out for a flight - even if it is just myself going out for a short local flight before going to work.

Check out the mosquito website and get inspired http://www.swedishaerosport.se/
By Soarcerer
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm not really thinking of this in terms of HG vs PG, it's more about curiosity. So many people take-up the sport, I guess I just want to see what it's all about.
By Soarcerer
combat.is.hell wrote:
My two cents: go for FLPHG
Well now that's interesting, I haven't considered powered HG. At what point would this be a good option for me? I'm still a very new H2...
By Dreamweaver
Sorry I have nothing to contribute. Just need five post to list my glider.
By old newbie
I suggest getting well versed in one before starting another. Way better than going through the dangerous part of the learning curve doubled. Plus it will be easier as you will understand conditions, weather etc..

Steve Forslund
By combat.is.hell
Well now that's interesting, I haven't considered powered HG. At what point would this be a good option for me? I'm still a very new H2...
The more experience the better of course, but it all depends on how you plan to get into motor flying.

If you have the opportunity to do a course with the help of a certified FLPHG instructor then you don't need that much air time. I can tell you from personal experience that flying early mornings or late evenings (or during the winter), I take off and land in really calm and stable conditions. So I never actually make use of any advanced skills as I fly in turbulence-free air and totally predictable weather.

You can check out a previous post here http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34454
By combat.is.hell
combat.is.hell wrote:
The more experience the better of course, but it all depends on how you plan to get into motor flying.

If you have the opportunity to do a course with the help of a certified FLPHG instructor then you don't need that much air time. I can tell you from personal experience that flying early mornings or late evenings (or during the winter), I take off and land in really calm and stable conditions. So I never actually make use of any advanced skills as I fly in turbulence-free air and totally predictable weather.

You can check out a previous post on the subject here http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34454
By winDfried
After having flown HG for 3 years I took up PG.
I thought it might be good for that weak days, when I can not stay up with my HG and had to watch all the Paras crowding in front of launch.

After two years I sold my PG, when I realized, I was just not a good enough HG pilot before.
Now staying up makes no difference any more, maybe I land 5 min before the others...
And those very weak para-conditions are no fun to fly anyway :wink:
In the end it turns out for me to better have two HG wings for weak and strong conditions, than a rag and a bag.

Furthermore I would underline this:
Felix wrote:...I personally found PG to be a lot more complicated and the door for danger seemed MUCH bigger and wide open.
I may pick it back up one day but for now I'll be sticking with HG.
W.