Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By rockjock729
What are opinions about flying a mosquito? I am interested in getting one but have heard that launching can be dicey.
By ullu
Not after you get the hang of it, practice on calm days.
By Flyingseb
practice on calm day, yes, but with a little bit of wind, not nil wind!
5 to 10 mph,steady in direction and not gusty, would be perfect for beginning
I think all problems at launching a mosquito occur when no wind or very light, motor not able to deliver full power, or a bit heavy, or wing not big enough
I forget: make sure your legs are in good condition, running is not an option!
By Crunluath
Launching with a powered harness is very doable and never needs to be dicey. However, transitioning to it from either a foot launching or towing background requires patience and methodical practice. If you look through my previous posts, I have given a rather long, but detailed account of how I taught myself to launch safely in a variety of wind conditions. I'm at work at the moment and don't have time to do a search, but if you click on my name a listing of my previous posts should come up. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
By AlaskanNewb
99% of the take offs I do with mine are in zero wind.

Never had a problem.

Using a Falcon 3 170.

Everybody makes it sound super hard then you try it and realize it is super easy.

Have fun!

Put up a video.
By combat.is.hell
AlaskanNewb wrote:99% of the take offs I do with mine are in zero wind.

Never had a problem.

Using a Falcon 3 170.

Everybody makes it sound super hard then you try it and realize it is super easy.

Have fun!

Put up a video.
Taking off with a mosquito is quite easy and safe. I also fly in zero wind conditions most of the time and take off with a topless wing. I am also quite short, not particularly athletic and cannot run fast at all. However I take off with my T2C without even breaking sweat.

The take off teqnique (as mentioned above) is very different from mountain launch or towing. As a certified FLPHG instructor I have made a video and written a short text about the take off. My text focuses on the main cause of failed take offs which is of course the fact that you must use a very different tecnique from what you already use. You can read it here: http://www.swedishaerosport.se/videos.html
By miraclepieco
Power harness takeoffs are dicey for some foot launch pilots because it requires doing the opposite of what you've learned. Instead of you, the pilot, propelling yourself and the wing forward as in free flying, with a power harness you actually try to RESIST the force of the propeller thrust behind you. When you can't hold it back anymore, only then do you start running. But again, it's not you propelling the mass forward, it is the engine. You only run enough to keep your feet under you. Once you understand this subtle distinction, foot launching a Mosquito is quite easy. Some of the long crazy runs power harness pilots do look scary, but it's easier than it looks because it's the thrust doing all the work.

And BTW, if you're not averse to power, why not just get a nanolight trike? Sit on your butt and let the wheels do the takeoff and landing. Turn off the engine aloft if you want to soar, or just motor XC if it's not a soarable day. Mine takes five minutes to set up and attach to the wing - probably less time than to rig a standard hang gliding harness.
By AlaskanNewb
combat.is.hell wrote:
AlaskanNewb wrote:99% of the take offs I do with mine are in zero wind.

Never had a problem.

Using a Falcon 3 170.

Have fun!

Put up a video.
Taking off with a mosquito is quite easy and safe. I also fly in zero wind conditions most of the time and take off with a topless wing. I am also quite short, not particularly athletic and cannot run fast at all. However I take off with my T2C without even breaking sweat.

The take off teqnique (as mentioned above) is very different from mountain launch or towing. As a certified FLPHG instructor I have made a video and written a short text about the take off. My text focuses on the main cause of failed take offs which is of course the fact that you must use a very different tecnique from what you already use. You can read it here: http://www.swedishaerosport.se/videos.html

Excellent video
By rockjock729
Great replies and thank you. I had and sold a northwing ATF. Transport and setup was more work then I liked. Just attaching/detaching the wing was difficult by myself. The mosquito seems to be more compact and less weight to transport. I am purchasing one from an individual and will do so in about 2 weeks once I arrive back up north.

This is for summer flying while I am up in Ct. as 8 months out of the year I tow down at the Ridge in Fl. (summer heat/humidity sucks in Fl).

Any suggestions as to the type of wing to use. Between the mosquito and I, my hook in weight is about 210. I want to be in the lower end of the wing hook in weight like I am on my Liberty 158. I plan to leave the liberty down here so I am looking for a wing to keep up north.

I have a Freedom 170 with about 40 hours, speed bar, mylar LE and main sail. It is a fast glider (they would not let me take it up when I started my solo tows because it was too fast). It is a great glider but I like my Liberty now that I have it dialed in.

I would not mind considering a trade.
By hgnv
This is a lot easier.... Just saying... No running
Attachments
(17.93 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
By Alex33
if the glider goes too much on the right side at the take off, stop the engine and do another take off
:thumbsup:
By AlaskanNewb
rockjock729 wrote:Great replies and thank you. I had and sold a northwing ATF. Transport and setup was more work then I liked. Just attaching/detaching the wing was difficult by myself. The mosquito seems to be more compact and less weight to transport. I am purchasing one from an individual and will do so in about 2 weeks once I arrive back up north.

This is for summer flying while I am up in Ct. as 8 months out of the year I tow down at the Ridge in Fl. (summer heat/humidity sucks in Fl).

Any suggestions as to the type of wing to use. Between the mosquito and I, my hook in weight is about 210. I want to be in the lower end of the wing hook in weight like I am on my Liberty 158. I plan to leave the liberty down here so I am looking for a wing to keep up north.

I have a Freedom 170 with about 40 hours, speed bar, mylar LE and main sail. It is a fast glider (they would not let me take it up when I started my solo tows because it was too fast). It is a great glider but I like my Liberty now that I have it dialed in.

I would not mind considering a trade.

Betting that freedom 170 will work just fine. I clip in with my Wasp (Mosquito Variant) at the max weight on my Falcon 3 170 and it launches, lands, and thermals just great.

I differ from some on here in that I think FLPHG launch feels just like launching from a shallow slope launch. I lean through control frame to get a hard run and keep the AOA down until I have plenty of speed just like a shallow slope launch and have always been surprised how easy it is to get in air. Takes a little more skill but is way safer than aerotowing I think.

Nice to be able to get up without the help of extra people.

You will have a good time with it.

Some cool info here I just read this before I tried it and was good to go. lots of years and launches and still not had a problem.

http://www.wind-drifter.com/flphg-intro.pdf
By rockjock729
Thanks for the link and suggestion about using my 170. I would rather use it but was concerned about being on the upper end of the hook in weight. I will transport it with me north and see. I rather not spend more money on a wing as I do really like my Freedom. (no joke intended)
By waveview
rockjock729 wrote:Thanks for the link and suggestion about using my 170. I would rather use it but was concerned about being on the upper end of the hook in weight. I will transport it with me north and see. I rather not spend more money on a wing as I do really like my Freedom. (no joke intended)
Density altitude can have a big effect on the performance of both your wing and the two stroke power units. I recall a post where the density altitude for a flight in Alaska was 1000 ft BELOW sea level (or there abouts). Temperature, altitude, humidity and pressure can have quite an effect on take off speed requirements and engine power. Your choice of wing may be fine for one area but not for warmer climates with high humidity like Florida.
By AlaskanNewb
waveview wrote:
rockjock729 wrote:Thanks for the link and suggestion about using my 170. I would rather use it but was concerned about being on the upper end of the hook in weight. I will transport it with me north and see. I rather not spend more money on a wing as I do really like my Freedom. (no joke intended)
Density altitude can have a big effect on the performance of both your wing and the two stroke power units. I recall a post where the density altitude for a flight in Alaska was 1000 ft BELOW sea level (or there abouts). Temperature, altitude, humidity and pressure can have quite an effect on take off speed requirements and engine power. Your choice of wing may be fine for one area but not for warmer climates with high humidity like Florida.
Very good point.
I fly in density altitudes that range from -1000FT to +4500 FT. And find the launches on 85F days do be only a little harder than on cold days. All nil wind.
I use a WWF3 170 and clip in 10 over max gross. Launches lands and thermals fine even at density altitudes over 4500. Have never really pushed it beyond that.