Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By Mr Pou
The weekends here for a long while have not been good for getting off the mountain, so I decided it was time to start aerotow training. I had my first two lessons yesterday morning.

1st flight my instructor threw a lot of things at me, kinda like drinking from the firehose. It was a mess in my opinion but back on the ground my instructor told me he likes to throw a decent bit at the student 1st flight as an assessment of skills. He deemed me as an average student, whatever that means.

Second flight we had a plan, he would fly the glider until 500agl, then I would control pitch while he would control roll. We did that for maybe 30-45 seconds and said I was doing good on pitch, so he said to take over on everything and follow the plane. I did a decent job following the plane, got inside a few times, got a little too high and low a few times, but he said I did a good job of it for a second lesson.

I enjoyed the lessons on the way back down as well, and got some very good tips on proper coordinated turns. He had me do slipping turns as well so I could feel the difference, and we talked about times when a slipping turn can be helpful. Also a lot of talk about winds and setting up approaches, etc.

I really liked this as on the hills we're flying and turning while upright and only have time to link two turns at a time. Then, when you go off the mountain and you start going prone, it's different. I really am appreciating the instruction/critique I'm getting on my prone flying.

This is GOOD! More lessons to follow.
By Mr Pou
Lessons 3 & 4 Saturday morning.

3rd lesson he let me have the glider at about 300ft, towed pretty high on that one, close to 3000ft before the release. Did a credible job following the plane. On the flight down, we did simulated turbulence practice, he had me fly the glider while he actively (and sometimes rapidly) moved his weight side to side and I had to counter with proper inputs to keep the glider stable. It was in interesting exercise.

4th lesson was the first one where I was on the bar from the ground, and I did a pretty good job staying laterally behind the tug coming off the grass but did pop up a little too far and had to aggressively pull in until the plane started climbing. Following the plane was a good bit more difficult as it was starting to thermal already and the plane would take big excursions in altitude as it hit the thermals. It was good practive to be quick and decisive on pitch inputs into the glider.

In one left hand turn the left wing got lifted and I didn't get input quick enough and the glider started to roll right and outside of the tug. I had to use all of my strength pretty much to get the glider to roll left again and it was slow to respond. He told me that we were quickly approaching a lockout (pretty high altitude but still), and take that as a lesson as to why quick and decisive input is needed when a wing gets lifted.

After release we didn't need to simulate turbulence, the thermals were popping off pretty decently and we flew a lot of coordinated turns practice. After I landed they did two more tows (other folks) and then shut down the program for the day as it had gotten too rough.

Looking forward to the next lessons! Flying with an instructor tandem is a very good addition to what one learns on the hills :thumbsup:
By skoozey
Hey, these are great summaries. Very interesting to me as I'm considering getting AT lessons too as a low time H2.
By Mr Pou
5th/6th lessons last Sunday:
  • Knocked out Aerotow written test
    Flew takeoff on both flights
    Lots of active air and wind sheer at various altitudes, tough day
    Had to work really hard to stay with the plane
    But did a good job of it
    Instructor told me very close to signoff for solo
By blindrodie
Don't know if they "offer" any type of Chase-the-Ace, but if they do TAKE IT! I was challenged by the late Les Taff to a Chase-the-Ace flight as she thought I was not as good as I said I was. Towed me up in a Falcon 1 195 and tried to shake me off and/or break a 130 pound weak link.

Did not happen! And it was a hoot to try and stay up with a 582 DF in mid day conditions...YMMV. :twisted: :mosh:

8)
By Nigel Hewitt
blindrodie wrote:Don't know if they "offer" any type of Chase-the-Ace, but if they do TAKE IT! I was challenged by the late Les Taff to a Chase-the-Ace flight as she thought I was not as good as I said I was. Towed me up in a Falcon 1 195 and tried to shake me off and/or break a 130 pound weak link.
Grief yes. I had that at Quest. I don't know if the tug pilot hated me and just wanted me to die or if he wanted to give me the best possible training experience ever because it was a close run thing. When he finally waved me off I was not sure I ever wanted to be towed again.
By Mr Pou
Sorry, I haven't updated this thread in a while. Lessons continued to progress, working on flying the diamond, a flight where he had me get so low as to get into prop wash, etc. So now you're up to date as of the beginning of the weekend ;-).

Came in Saturday, and he asked if I thought I was ready for the checkride, and I said yes! So, I went up with another instructor on the checkride, gave him an expensive glider ride, and passed with no issues. So, they rolled out the Falcon 195 solo glider.

And off I go on my first solo tow, and right off the grass my right wing got lifted pretty good :shock:, but I got over fast and back to center, corrected without any PIO. The rest of the tow went well, and the pilot towed me to 3000AGL so I enjoyed a nice extended sledder.

After that, I did two pattern tows to 1000', each one a little rowdier than the last as the thermals built, but the tows were good. By then, four flights and temps now into the 90's, I was spent and decided to head for the house.

LMFP requires 5 solo aerotows before signing off on the rating, so I came back yesterday, but the conditions quickly deteriorated. The tug pilots came back from the probe flights and said no flying! Winds over the back creating lots of rotors in the valley.

So, very close, will be back this coming weekend for those last two solo aerotows. :P
By Windlord
:cheer: :thumbsup: Outstanding! Next week should be a righteous time for you. Definitely keep us updated.
By Jim brindley
Nigel Hewitt wrote:
blindrodie wrote:Don't know if they "offer" any type of Chase-the-Ace, but if they do TAKE IT! I was challenged by the late Les Taff to a Chase-the-Ace flight as she thought I was not as good as I said I was. Towed me up in a Falcon 1 195 and tried to shake me off and/or break a 130 pound weak link.
Grief yes. I had that at Quest. I don't know if the tug pilot hated me and just wanted me to die or if he wanted to give me the best possible training experience ever because it was a close run thing. When he finally waved me off I was not sure I ever wanted to be towed again.
Hey, Nigel....I was there when you were working on your rating ( February ), got mine later that month....." Chase the ace "......during tandem flights.... Been there done that!....very eye opening experience!....and quite strenuous....I guess fear builds character.....ha ha..... I did my solos the final week there, and even got a hour long soaring flight....overall a very positive experience!!!

Jim
By Mr Pou
Went back Saturday morning and did two 1000' pattern tows, successfully satisfying my requirements for the rating, then had to bolt due to other commitments.

Came back yesterday morning and flew the school wheeled Falcon 195, two normal 2500' tows, went well. Next weekend I will take my own glider, they will help me install the releases and set it up, then I will try flying from the cart.
By rockjock729
Congratulations! It was a pleasure reading your posts and allowed me to relive my lessons from two winters ago. You will find that you will accumulate hours quickly versus waiting on the side of the mountain, and hope to catch a thermal before you sink out.

I did AT certification in Florida. When I came back up for the summer, Erick wanted to make sure I could really tow. He took me up twice it think and saw I could handle it. He than had me play chase the ace and wanted to see when I would pin off. That was to see where I was willing to go before I thought it was not safe.

Again, congratulations!!
By Nigel Hewitt
While we're still on the subject of AT training to the limit, here is Spinner at Quest pushing me to 'go a bit further' into lockout before allowing me to cut back in.
I know what 'the line flying the glider' means now:

Image[/img]
By rockjock729
Thanks for the picture. It made me smile. I have not flown since early June.
Good that Spinner had you push. Knowing what the line flying you feels like is good so that you will know that your in a bad place getting worse. Do you normally fly in Florida or just there for a visit? I am up in Ct. and won't be back until October.
I need to head over to Tanner in Ma. just to tow up, but I won't be able to until August. We are leaving next week for a trip out west (without my glider sadly) for about 3 1/2 weeks.
Malcolm
By Mr Pou
My evil plan is working!

OK, it's not really evil, and not really much of a plan, but it's still working.

Sunday morning, top of the mountain, gently blowing in. Woohoo, set up and launch, nice flight to the LZ. And then, without tearing down the glider, I did three aerotow flights. Yeah, it's kinda wimpy not to take the glider down, throw it on top the truck and hump back up the mountain every flight, but DAMN, I LIKE it!!! :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :drool: :)