Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By Jaysinh
This is my situation and my stats up front. No guess work or beating around the bush.
My current situation:
Height:6'2"
Weight: 323lbs.
Physically fit - Yes, Sounds crazy I know
My dream is to fly and to be a certified hang glide pilot but with the information above- Is it possible?
I know my weight is a big problem and the glider I would need to use are sometimes hard to come by for training. I have been looking to find my own tandem glider with no luck. I have talked to 2 places that don't want to help much or answer questions that I need to find out more. My goal is to be certified in foot launch so I can do the sand dunes in Michigan (home town) or the mountain launches down south or out west. I am open to any help to get me started the right way. I have not tried contacting scooter assisted places ether. I have no gear and would appreciate any direction or assistance to start something.
Thanks in advance,
By red
Jaysinh wrote:This is my situation and my stats up front. No guess work or beating around the bush. My current situation: Height:6'2" Weight: 323lbs. Physically fit - Yes, Sounds crazy I know Age: 37
My dream is to fly and to be a certified hang glide pilot but with the information above- Is it possible? I know my weight is a big problem and the glider I would need to use are sometimes hard to come by for training. I have been looking to find my own tandem glider with no luck. I have talked to 2 places that don't want to help much or answer questions that I need to find out more. Thanks in advance,
Jaysinh,

Check your PMs in the Main Menu, top left corner of the Index page here. A rotating YinYang there says that you have a new PM.

Bring your questions here - you might get various opinions, but chances are, there will be good help in the mix. Hit this link on my web page:
http://user.xmission.com/~red/#ma
and scroll down to the links there for USA maps of HG clubs, HG Instructors, and Observers near you. It does not matter how many people do not help. If anybody does help just once, then you WIN! 8)

There is a lot of help in the WIKI here, also.

:mrgreen:
By Jaysinh
Red,
Thanks for the page to look at. I have been looking into this for a couple of years. I was over 400 pounds and dropped down to the above weight. I have visited 2 places and was setup to take lessons paid for all of it then the last min was turned down due to my size. just like my post I was up front in the planning 6 months in advance with my status. I flew down there to be denied the day before lessons. Disappointing to say the least. I had purchased all the material required to test and do lessons as well. I find that my weight is the disconnecting reaction to a lot of people. I will keep looking and hopefully start dropping weight again to get this done easier. I know my size wont let me perform as the lighter pilots but I will get their.
Thanks for taking the time to help out.
Have a great day!
By blindrodie
Dont' give up. Big guys and gals can fly too. You need a big ol' SS tandem wing. They are out there and have a gross weight range to around 500 pounds.

Aero tow training might be impossible as you'll need a tow plane with at least a Turbo 912 and an instructor well under 100 pounds. That ain't gunna happen!

I don't think foot launching a tandem wing in light conditions will be very fun, useful or safe to learn. Platform launching is an option. Get a hold of Tiki Mashy. I hear she runs a great place in Texas. I believe they do truck towing.

GOOD LUCK!

8)
Last edited by blindrodie on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jaysinh
I know its not impossible just finding right conditions and a place willing to try is key.
thanks for the heads up. I will look them up.
By flybop
Welcome! Don't give up. All of us here know that burning desire to fly and many of us overcame some pretty serious obstacles to achieve that dream.

Learning to foot launch does take some physical effort. The training hill days are the toughest. However, they are so worth the effort.

Perhaps hang gliding, the dream of pure flight, can be the carrot for you to continue to get in (better) shape. It was for me and many others.

Good luck, keep the dream and please do keep us posted on how you are doing!
By Lucky_Chevy
Welcome. I have no doubt that you will find a way to fly..
By Jaysinh
flybop wrote:Welcome! Don't give up. All of us here know that burning desire to fly and many of us overcame some pretty serious obstacles to achieve that dream.

Learning to foot launch does take some physical effort. The training hill days are the toughest. However, they are so worth the effort.

Perhaps hang gliding, the dream of pure flight, can be the carrot for you to continue to get in (better) shape. It was for me and many others.

Good luck, keep the dream and please do keep us posted on how you are doing!
I agree with you one hundred percent. I know what I need to do just haven't made in progress lately. I am fit enough to handle this with ease. My size is the issue.. One Day......one day.
Thank you,
By Jaysinh
Lucky_Chevy wrote:Welcome. I have no doubt that you will find a way to fly..
Thanks,
By Carl
Dude you can do it!
I'm learning and getting worked carrying weight I don't need, but after flying about 5inches off the ground,I was instantly hooked!!
Unfortunately for me I didn't find this sport as young as you,and it's been years since racing a mountain bike,it is worth all of the effort!!
Keep us informed Carl
Carl wrote:Dude you can do it!
I'm learning and getting worked carrying weight I don't need, but after flying about 5inches off the ground,I was instantly hooked!!
Unfortunately for me I didn't find this sport as young as you,and it's been years since racing a mountain bike,it is worth all of the effort!!
Keep us informed Carl
By Flyking
I don't see a problem if you buy you own equipment a good Tandem glider by Wills Wing (Falcon) or North Wing (Freedom) should keep you up. If you can afford it put an order in for a UP Predator 158 when you become and advanced pilot ! Nothing better than a sail made by Richard Cheney in Layton Utah. Hurry he may retire soon. See you in the AIR !!!!
By Roadrunner
Go with a Predator 158! Predators just love weight.
By Jaysinh
I will look into this. Thanks for the info every little bit helps.
By dhmartens
I fly a wills wing falcon 2 255 and my weight has varied 198 to 230 and it works good for me.
weight range: 185-300

http://www.hanglide.com/?page_id=13
has a wills wing falcon 1 225 for sale:
(Pilot Hook-in Weight: 185 - 440 lbs.)
Leading Edge Color: LimeGreen
Undersurface Color: Green, Blue
Main Body Color:
Sail Area: 225 sq. ft.
Glider Weight: 59 lbs.
Pilot Hook-in Weight: 185 - 440 lbs.
Skill Level: Beginner
SS/DS: Single Surface
KP/TL: Kingpost
VG: No
Extras: Glider is in excellent condition, looks like new! Has fared downtubes and comes with wheels.
Price: $2895

you will have more wing loading about the same as if I flew a falcon 195.
By Jaysinh
I called 2 weeks ago on this and the lady who answered was going to look into this to see if they still have it. Someone else was already looking at this at that time. I need to call back and see if it sold or if the guy backed out. This still shows on there website as a wing for sale.
Thanks for the Info,
By Mr Pou
If you have some time to travel, I'd try one of the bigger schools, and see if they can setup a Falcon Tandem or similar for you train with on the hills. You may be able to do some tandem training if you can find a lighter weight instructor. I know several big guys at my home site who fly tandem gliders solo.

https://www.willswing.com/hang-gliders/falcon-3-tandem/
By blindrodie
I have 2 big 225 Falcons for sale if are still looking. One is a tandem and the other is not. I'll follow up with the owner if the need arises!

Let me know...

8)