Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By Paulzplay
I am looking for a new harness and the rotor seems to be the best bang for the buck, but most of the info out there is old. Anyone have any input on this and is there a dealer for rotor in then US of A?
By Bouyo
I bought a Rotor last year direct through their home web site. They were very helpful; sent me photos of the harness as it was being made, detailed pricing break-down and info on where to make the payment (payment goes to Wills Wing in California).

Took a couple months from initial order to receiving the harness if I remember correctly. Harness was well shipped so no complains there.

I really like the harness (vulto with fiberglass cone boot option) - it's quick to put on, very warm, great zippers that haven't snagged yet, kickass pitch adjustment is simple to use (although I did have to bend the lever a little flatter as it was slightly too close to my butt), I can fit standard WW cover bags n' all snugly into the boot compartment which is nice, and the harness is just very sleek over all.

One thing that I did have to adjust where the cord lines that connect the boot to the hang strap slider and the pitch-down limiter. I expected to have to adjust the pitch-down limiter, but the boot to slider cord length shouldn't have needed adjusting (I don't think anyway). Basically if there's too much slack in the boot-to-slider cord when you're proned out then the slider has a tendency to only travel 3/4of the way back. This is quickly remedied by making it so that the line is taut between boot and slider (when fully prone with your feet pressing on the boot).
By Paulzplay
Thanks bouyo, so you push the boot to slide back to cg? I found a used one but it is made for a larger pilot than me and I am not sure if wills wing can make it work for me so I may make the investment into a new one that fits properly and will last me for years. I am thinking on the same setup you have, I don't think I need the carbon fiber and extra buckle. Is it really easy to get upright like they say, making for a nice approach?
By Bouyo
You push the boot as you rock forward and basically flatten your body out in one motion, this moves the slider back fully aft and you're proned out. Not sure what you mean by cg.

You've got to be careful with that motion because the slider moving can pitch you forward more abruptly than you'd expect when you're butt 'kicks' the pitch lever. With a little practice you become accustomed to it. The pitch adjustment is great: sometimes you'll want to be -10 degrees over for max penetration, other times giving the shoulders a rest at +15 degrees.

Getting upright is easy, however landing with a backplate feels different and maybe tricky at first. Coming from a soft harness that lets you get really upright you'll probably want to climb the down tubes to try and pitch up more but the plate won't let you. You need to just accept the slider-up pitch angle you're put at, place your hands by your shoulders when it's time to and flare like you mean it.

If you can get a demo of that used harness then what are you waiting for, otherwise go custom.

One other thing - streamline pods with back plates are heavy ~20-30lb with chute and bags so think about if you need to carry it far, and what your hook-in will end up being. A Flylite3 cocoon weighs about as much as a dry waffle and for that reason alone I'm considering getting one.
By miraclepieco
Pat Denevan at Mission Soaring Center, Milpitas California is the western US dealer for Rotor harnesses. Pat can get a custom harness delivered as fast as four weeks, depending on the time of year.
He also has new harnesses in stock that were returned for fitment issues (I know because I sent one back - see below). Going through a US dealer gives you an extra layer of protection and service.

I am a 35-year Master-rated pilot so have considerable experience with a number of harnesses, including two Rotors.
The Rotor may be the worst harness I have ever flown for getting upright for landing.
The best of the single suspension harnesses for getting upright by far, the CG1000.
By Paulzplay
That is a good point about the weight, I am still learning on a mrk4 vision 17 and I weigh around 165 so I am going to be at the top of the range. My high energy was stolen yrs ago, i used to areo tow and just getting back into it. I want the sport2 wing so maybe I should just wait on a heavier harness and stick with the basic and build my skills. My goal is to do a little bit of cross country, its the way to go here in Arizona. Thanks for the info guys, you are awesome. it means alot to us newbies.

Paul
By AIRTHUG
We are a Rotor dealer, however in years past they have been difficult to get in touch with (or get a response from).

BUT! I have been in touch with Nene Rotor's son very recently, and we confirmed Fly High's dealership. I have their current price list, and in correspondence I was told a harness will be ready to ship 30 days after the order and payment is submitted.

I have not yet placed any orders since reconnecting though... although I was thinking about getting one for myself before this RRG thing popped up...
By remmoore
EricH wrote: CG1000 and Woody Valley are much more commonly used around here.
Hmm - well it seems like Rotor harnesses are the most popular among Diablo pilots, and I see a lot of them in the North Bay in general. Some of them are well over 10 years old; not a bad testament to their durability.

I don't know what the current situation is with supply and support, but when the time comes for a new harness, I'll be looking seriously at Rotor.

RM
By Paulzplay
Who is the dealer closest rotor dealer to Arizona?
By mgrecol
For anyone who has the rotor harness, it looks like it's tight for the feet, can you tell me if it has enough room for someone with big feet?
-mgrecol
By miraclepieco
mgrecol wrote:For anyone who has the rotor harness, it looks like it's tight for the feet, can you tell me if it has enough room for someone with big feet?
-mgrecol
If you are ordering new, shoe size (or the measured circumference around your booted feet) will be one of the dimensions on the order form. The harness will be made to accommodate your large feet.
By Skippy
I have been flying 40+ years and had a number of harnesses from the testical crusher that came with my free flight standard, knee hanger, Chris Price stirrup, a couple of cocoons and a couple of tracers. I got a Rotor for XC a few years ago from Pat at Mission and I love the harness but not a first. Here are a few things you should know.

1. Do be careful when you push the boot back and swing down. I almost hit my mouth on the base tube the first time I kicked in. Had my hand not been there, I could have knocked out a tooth.

2. Wear your cold weather gear when taking measurements because there is not much adjustment to make it larger when it comes from the factory. I little too big is much better than a little too small in my opinion. I got a NF windproof jacket and can layer with a down sweater to stay warm when it's cold so I made it work but I don't have room for the factory glider bag too. I have a ripstop xc bag I keep stored in the harness.

3. I had to push up on the base tube a bit more forcefully than the Tracer the first month or so to get upright. Now it is automatic but rock up a bit earlier the first few times you fly in it.

4. Start the zipper before you put on a full face hemet to make sure you line it up properly. I didn't one day and the zipper released in flight. the chest strap keeps you in the harness but after an hour or so of it digging in, I decided to head out and land. Never happened again if you mate it properly.

5. Practice getting your chute out before you fly if you are going from a front mount. In my Tracer, I knew where the handle was but this takes a little practice and building muscle memory. Seconds count!

I got a Shadow and really like the way you can adjust the pitch in flight. You can dip head down then you are running from thermal to thermal but pitch up if you neck gets tired.

The only thing I would do differently is wear a winter coat during measurement.

Steve
T2C136
By Comet
The Rotor was a real testicle-crusher for me, second only to a WW Z3 which inflicted me with the longest sustained agony in my life. What, don't manufacturers fly their own harnesses?
Seems crazy to suspend a male pilot's entire weight by his crotch when upright. Who designs these - sadistic feminists?

Now I look for harness leg straps that pull outward, rather than upward.
By smokenjoe50
You don't need to be a dealer to order a rotor harness. I prefer to order direct. I have owned a tenex, ww covert and the rotor. I found the rotor to be the best. Someone commented on being head up it doesn't work. These harnesses are designed for racing not head up comfort. If you try to be 15 degrees head up you will find that the slider will want to slide forward and the boot will be pulling on your feet.
By smokenjoe50
Paulzplay wrote:That is a good point about the weight, I am still learning on a mrk4 vision 17 and I weigh around 165 so I am going to be at the top of the range. My high energy was stolen yrs ago, i used to areo tow and just getting back into it. I want the sport2 wing so maybe I should just wait on a heavier harness and stick with the basic and build my skills. My goal is to do a little bit of cross country, its the way to go here in Arizona. Thanks for the info guys, you are awesome. it means alot to us newbies.

Paul
I just read this post and realized your not flying high performance gliders and probably not racing. Do you self a favor and get a WW flylite hands down the most comfortable easy to land harness. You will see no benefit from a harness like a rotor. You will give up so much comfort for absolutely no gain.
By AIRTHUG
+1 on Joe's two posts above! (or is that +2?)

Z5 or FlyLite is aimed at the recreational fly-for-fun pilot... the balance of pro's and con's is much better suited to 90% of hang glider pilots, maybe more. Back-plate-slider harnesses give up a lot, to gain a little... and that trade-off should only be accepted as worth it to the most hardcore of pilots, flying the hottest wings, and doing long, fast glides. The given-up usability (primarily landing ease and margin) is the same regardless of what you fly, but on a Sport 2 or even a U2 (or similar) very few people are flying fast enough for the reduced drag to make any difference worthy of the sacrifices.

And Joe also touched on the concept of dangle-angle... SOOOOO many people out there are flying these so-called race harnesses at a very head-up angle. If you're going to do that, the lines from a conventional harness would be in the wind shadow of your body anyway!!! Aerodynamically, we should be hanging just slightly head down from level- 7 degrees or less I think I calculated it to be. Flying level or even slightly head high, the performance gains of a back-plate-slider harness diminish quickly... but at least you get to keep all the sacrifices :rofl:

Not to say the Rotor (among others) aren't beautifully crafted and highly functional harnesses- they are! But they're just not the "right" harness for most...
By miraclepieco
AIRTHUG wrote: And Joe also touched on the concept of dangle-angle... SOOOOO many people out there are flying these so-called race harnesses at a very head-up angle. If you're going to do that, the lines from a conventional harness would be in the wind shadow of your body anyway!!! Aerodynamically, we should be hanging just slightly head down from level- 7 degrees or less I think I calculated it to be. Flying level or even slightly head high, the performance gains of a back-plate-slider harness diminish quickly... but at least you get to keep all the sacrifices :rofl:
There are so many videos of guys flying with the hottest wings and slickest harnesses, only to be hanging head-high. But worse are the straight-arm pilots; fully extended arms in the breeze are as much drag as a kingpost, luff lines, a keel pocket and deflexors combined. Why fly a rigid if you're going to hang head high and straight arm? You have just effectively reduced your glide by 2-4 points.