Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

Hello HGs,

I am "over50" years old (72kg), and now trying to let an old dream of mine come true: learning to fly; I live in south of Bavaria an found - rather difficult - a perfect school to accompany me: in Penzberg (Wolf Schneider).
My first question here: In this Summer I need a HG for my first higher flights on "Hochplatte" (20 kms from were I live!).

I could rent/buy an Aeros Fox, or buy: seedwings funky (affordable price from school), icaro RX 2, moyes malibu (extremely expensive here), finsterwalder perfex ... .

The videos, I've seen, seem to me, the highest developed is the malibu 188 at the moment (very save, slooooow, precise to fly, like on a "hook from the sky").

Could someone here fly all of them, and are there great differences, or are they all about the same?

For my future: I am not(!) trying to fly ATOS one day (as it seems most dream of here), I like something to assmble in few minutes, easy to carry, stay in the air for long, fly to somewhere else some kms, have much good time with (- and I'm sure: I don't want no PG therefore!)

Thank you for advice! :)

Johannes
By Windlord
:welcome: Johannes
During your training, you'll be using your schools equipment. As you advance, have some discussions with your instructor and see what would best suit you.
Pretty much, all of the wings you listed are very good wings and there should be some used equipment available to you also.
If you have the chance, later on, try to demo some of the wings you have mentioned. Try before you buy! Each wing has it's own little characteristics, that may or may not work with you.
Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:
By Dontsink
I chose a Perfex for the shortpack feature and because people who own them are very happy.My Perfex should arrive this week or next,then i'll make the altitude flights.
I did research just about every SingleSurface glider being built nowadays and my other faves were the Icaro RX2(everybody seems to love how it handles) and the NorthWing Freedom ( arguably the highest performance SS available).
I recommend you take the initial course and talk to the local pilots in the spots you will fly,you will have a much better perspective on what you need and want.
The downside is that new gliders are usually not available inmediatly,count on waiting 4- 6 weeks for your glider to be built and tested.Still i think you will choose better after taking a basic course.Good luck!.
By over50
Thank you Winford,

for my first attempts I really used the school's equipment; it was a strange feeling to "fly" for 20/30 meters and above the head of the instructor - unforegettable ... !

But after receiving "L-Schein", for trainig "A-Schein", you need something from your side; and who will let you "try", if you never flew something else than the school-"firebird", so some of us buy "blind". I think, the most reasonable thing would be, to rent. Received the A-licence some dealers would let you try. But theoretically (? - No: Really...!)I am still interested, what's "the best" ... .

Johannes
By Dontsink
The try before you buy advice sounds great but at least here in Spain nobody will let a novice "try" their glider.So you have to choose based on other's opinions...
By FMAN
A WillsWing Falcon 3 is your best option for you and many others. The design has been around for quite a while and has changed minimally. It's very durable and easy to repair and tune.

With the current exchange rate the Falcon 3 will probably be cheaper also, no?
By Fawkes
Funky !!!

I really love mine :mrgreen:
By over50
Yes, "Dontsink",

we must rely on other opinions... .

Your Perfex will be built in our nearby munic by very passionate and professional people. I heard a 73-year old Perfex flyer, it's like driving byciicle. He sold all his equipment very cheap, but I came ours late :( !

Much luck with your perfex (which colours did you chose?), perfct flights and landings!

Johannes
By over50
@FMAN:
In Germany DHV-Certification is "conditio sine qua non"- An HG with masses of friends all over, except ... . Therefore noot on my "list"
By over50
@fawkes.

Two of our beginner group bought funkys (one "17", the other "15"). They bought them "blind". Our HGschool has a "special offer" therefore ...

Johannes
By FMAN
over50 wrote:@FMAN:
In Germany DHV-Certification is "conditio sine qua non"- An HG with masses of friends all over, except ... . Therefore noot on my "list"
:popcorn:
By Dontsink
I copied Rolf Schatzmann's colors,white and totally eighties fluo green.Here is a pic of his glider,mine should look the same.

And the genie back in the bottle...

By Bobfly
Fawkes should be able to give you a reasonable opinion between the Funky and Falcon. She has flown both. Many people are delighted with their Malibus and the Freedom (from North Wing) is also quite popular but may not be readily available in Europe. Good luck with your training and wing hunt.
By over50
Dear Dontsink,

timeless design, very pretty "grasshopper", and seems sophisticated built.
Yours will be as good as his!

Good choice obviously!

Johannes
By Fawkes
Bobfly wrote:Fawkes should be able to give you a reasonable opinion between the Funky and Falcon. She has flown both. Many people are delighted with their Malibus and the Freedom (from North Wing) is also quite popular but may not be readily available in Europe. Good luck with your training and wing hunt.
Comparing the Falcon with the Funky I would definitely go with the Funky. Both are great wings but the Funky has a lighter handling and better glide ratio. It is very very well manufactured.

But what was useful for me most is that the Seedwings factory is close-by and they do excellent reparations. My first flight of the year went terribly wrong at landing. Luckily it happened at just an hour drive from the Zillertal. Next day I brought in my wing unexpectedly in the morning. They gave it a thorough check, replaced what was needed, I got it back that evening for a very reasonable reparation price. That's called service !
By over50
Btw: When I visited the "Inventor" of the Aeros Fox, Thomas Pellicci, last week, he told me of an improved "Super-Fox" including a Mylar-Option: Has someone experience with it? - Is it remarcable better than the normal Fox with the Standard- Sail?

Johannes
By FMAN
Dontsink wrote:mentioning Seedwings Europe in this forum can be dangerous...
Why? :stirpot:
By NMERider
FMAN wrote:
Dontsink wrote:mentioning Seedwings Europe in this forum can be dangerous...
Why? :stirpot:
Because the correct spelling is really Seedywings? :P :P
By FMAN
Something like that.

( :offtopic: )