Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By sam schippers
So I live in AZ and there is a perfect 200 ft hill that has a huge open area for landing. This is great for practice . The problem is I only do 2 flights and Im sick pf tearing down and setting up. How do i "Kite" the wing back up the hill. All my training has been scooter tow so getting back up the training hill has not been a lesson.
By airzoneallen
Have your bagger buddies carry it back up for you.They would be thrilled being that close to a real flying vehicle. :wink: Allen
By atag
You hike it up the hill while it is still set up. I went looking through my training footage, and I found a video of me walking my glider up the hill. I'll try editing it and posting it on YouTube sometime today.

The trick is to face backwards and to keep your feet on the tail side of the basetube (so that the basetube is behind you as you look at the stinger of your glider). Then carry it as you would normally, just with the glider facing backwards. That way the nose is to the wind as you walk up the face of the hill.

Looking at my logbook, I climbed the 300' hill at Ed Levin with my glider 40-50 times (at least) and the 600' hill a half-dozen times.
By sam schippers
Allen : they won't touch it they are skeered.
:rofl:
By sam schippers
Atag: I would like to see that video. Does that not put the nose too high with the higher angle of the wind going up the hill? Guess i just need to try it...
By Darbbb
I found this. You have to look quick, but toward the end you can see two different people carrying their gliders up the hill as described.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsuF4PmP5Q0[/youtube]
By peanuts
it's a training hill. aren't there wheels on your glider? USE THEM!!!
By slimchance
This is how I do it. Nose down into the wind, walk up the hill (facing the hill), basebar in front of feet. :thumbsup: The sail will help you up the hill and you have less of a chance to "turtle".
By atag
Hi, sorry for the long delay. I went to Tam today and had to wait for an hour or two for the fog to clear in order to get a sledder.

In any case, I've used the method shown below for hiking up my glider in winds up to 15 mph. If it's light, you can put the nose up a little and use the wind to help you carry the glider up the hill. If it's strong, put the nose down, and you still have good control of the glider. I've seen a lot of people try to carry the glider uphill with the basetube in front of their ankles, and it's very hard work. This is much easier, and I've never had trouble controlling the glider once I got the hang of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFv-2vCdw3w[/youtube]
By jjcote
In some conditions, you can stand completely in front of the glider and hold the nose wires, adjusting the pitch by how far up the wires your hands are.
By CAL
how is the drive up can you put your glider on a trailer set up and drive up ?
By blindrodie
I always did the way jjcote pic shows.

8)
By HangDiver
There's a tiny paraglider pilot stuck on your rear wire.
jjcote wrote:In some conditions, you can stand completely in front of the glider and hold the nose wires, adjusting the pitch by how far up the wires your hands are.
By Jason
floating it up like JJ shows works if theres a good breeze

otherwise i like the walk backwards i the glider approach

you can also throw the keel over your shoulder and pull it up

and if the wind is strong you can grab and lower the nose (way way down) and the wind will push the glider up the hill
By sam schippers
On the 2 hills I'm using the road up is either not there or really rocky. Using my wheels is not an option due to the terrain. these methods will help alot!!!!
Thank you. :goodidea:
By TomGalvin
Jason wrote:floating it up like JJ shows works if theres a good breeze
If the air is smooth. Many inland training hills that I have been to, are too turbulent to safely float it up when the wind is that strong.