Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By pjwings
Hey all!

I am really bummed about this neck pain issue! :ahh: My neck starts to hurt after about 30 minutes in the air. By the 2 hour mark I am heading out to land because the pain in my neck is making it no fun :surrender:

Has anyone else had this issue and then overcome it? I only get out to fly about once a week, twice if I'm lucky... not enough time to build muscle reliably. I am seriously considering setting up a harness hanger in my living room so I can hang around prone while reading, watching movies, etc.

I've also heard about pilots using head support attached to the helmet. Has anyone had experience with these? Anyone got any good designs?

Thanks!
PJ
By Bobfly
Wow, pj. I hope you get a handle on this. I have a feeling it's not a rare phenomenon for HG pilots. It is an awkward position to be prone and hold your head up in an arched configuration for an extended time. What helmet are you flying with?
By pjwings
Thanks Bob! I fly with the Airextreme Speed helmet. 1.9 lbs with visor... LMFP GT XC harness made to my measurements. Here's a photo of my setup... you can see I'm flying rocked up a little to help ease the muscles.
Attachments
covenant_college.jpg
covenant_college.jpg (101.58 KiB) Viewed 13592 times
By pjwings
I've thought about surprone harnesses, but I'm not willing to go there... it wouldn't feel like flying!
By Avnav8r
Hey Paul,

There used to be a company in the U.K. that made a harness where one could go from prone to suprone, but I haven't seen anything from the company lately (any U.K. pilots know what became of this company?). Some pilots have come up with a bungee system that goes from the harness to the helmet that helps support the head in flight. Anybody out there still use a system like this?

John Stokes

www.osceolabaldeagle.com
By pjwings
That's cool John...

Hey, random question for you... on 2 out my last 3 flights at lookout I've soared with a bird that is all white except for the tail which has a reddish color... very similar to the tail of a ... well, a Red Tail ;). It's about the same size as a fully grown Red Tail as well... at least I think it is, it's difficult to tell without getting close, and I've never gotten close enough to get a really good look. It really stands out from a distance against the wintery landscape colors. Any idea what it could be?
Avnav8r wrote:Hey Paul,

There used to be a company in the U.K. that made a harness where one could go from prone to suprone, but I haven't seen anything from the company lately (any U.K. pilots know what became of this company?). Some pilots have come up with a bungee system that goes from the harness to the helmet that helps support the head in flight. Anybody out there still use a system like this?

John Stokes

www.osceolabaldeagle.com
By CAL
what a bummer, have you tried Yoga or other stretching exercises ! try stretching your neck and back before and after flying,

everything i do seems to use a lot of neck, rock climbing is one of them, my wife talked me into rock climbing tuesday and my neck is just getting over it,

i like the idea of getting in your harness with your helmet or even a heavier helmet, practice looking and clearing traffic, or pretend CAL is flying with you and he will wake your butt if you don't stay away from him :lol:

i try to stay away from muscle relaxers and other pain relievers, but if my pain took away from my flying i might consider them, until my neck got in shape :thumbsup:
By $!><
Have you been to a sports medicine doctor and discussed this? Maybe you have something going on with a pinched nerve in your neck from an injury in your past or some condition that you are not aware of. Maybe you need an MRI to see if there is something going on there. Hopefully, there isn't but if there is, then you can at least get it addressed and then you can fly pain free.
I am seriously considering setting up a harness hanger in my living room so I can hang around prone while reading, watching movies, etc.
You must have the most understanding wife in the world. :) My wife would flip.
By \(*_*)/
I had the same problem in the past, but I was lucky, because my (those days) harness had adjustable angle of flying position (I mean adjustable during the flying), so when I started to feel the pain in my neck, I changed my possition a little bit more "vertical". During my previous year winter flight (more then 1 hour, temperature under zero degrees of Celsius) I was finally flying in the possition, which was near to landing, because everytime, when pain started to be too strong, I changed my possition a little bit.. :lol:
But I agree, it's anoying and it can destroy all good feelings from flying. My recommendation is to try adjust more comfortable flying possition.
By pjwings
I do stretch out well prior to flight... not just the neck but all the muscles as it does make me more comfortable and keeps my flying more relaxed. It doesn't help. I also end up flying in a more upright position but I don't like creating so much drag and I don't have the same feeling of control as I do fully prone.

There is a physical therapist up the road that is mad about flying. My friend told me I should call him because he is a likely candidate for an HG pilot... I think I'll call him and set up an appointment to talk about the neck issue and while I'm at it I'll convert him :thumbsup:
By Eteamjack
I've had neck pain in past. Hanging to close to base tube, too heavy helmet and
harness miss adjusted all factors. I like my feet down just a bit so I don't have to
c--- my neck inorder to look above. If you get on top of the stack this becomes unnecessary. It appears from your picture everything is adjusted properly.
By blindrodie
There are a number of pilots that use a retractable dog leash (or similar mechanism) and attach it from the apex to their helmets. The trick is to get the retractable tension correct.

Search on the Oz Report. Davis used one for a while... 8)
By peanuts
[quote="pjwings"]That's cool John...

Hey, random question for you... on 2 out my last 3 flights at lookout I've soared with a bird that is all white except for the tail which has a reddish color... very similar to the tail of a ... well, a Red Tail ;). It's about the same size as a fully grown Red Tail as well... at least I think it is, it's difficult to tell without getting close, and I've never gotten close enough to get a really good look. It really stands out from a distance against the wintery landscape colors. Any idea what it could be?[quote]

i sometimes see birds that raise my curiosity as well. i found a site by Nat Geo which answers purt near all my questions about avian identity. it's called "backyard bird identifier", and by answering a couple of questions, you can get a right fair ID.
By red
pjwings,

Do you sleep with your head on thick pillows now? If your neck is bent forward for half of your life, it may be hard for you to hold it up, the other way, when you are awake and flying.

FWIW, I sleep with two pillows, one on each side of my head, but my head is not on either of the pillows, when I am lying flat on my back, asleep. I only use the pillows when I roll to either side, keeping my neck comfortably straight. This took some "getting used to" for me, but I think you will breathe better when sleeping this way, too.

I would not want my head attached to anything, in a bad landing. You can make your own choices, there, but I'd really want a "weak link" attachment, similar to what tow-pilots use, which is just barely strong enough to hold up my head, if my head had to be on a "leash." The "weak link" should be at the helmet, nowhere else in the line. The "leash" can be thin bungee cord, to give you an easy way to adjust tension, and more freedom to move. This still seems like a dicey proposition, to me, and I would not recommend it.

Check PMs.

:mrgreen:
pjwings wrote:Hey all!
I am really bummed about this neck pain issue! :ahh: My neck starts to hurt after about 30 minutes in the air. By the 2 hour mark I am heading out to land because the pain in my neck is making it no fun :surrender:

Has anyone else had this issue and then overcome it? I only get out to fly about once a week, twice if I'm lucky... not enough time to build muscle reliably. I am seriously considering setting up a harness hanger in my living room so I can hang around prone while reading, watching movies, etc.
I've also heard about pilots using head support attached to the helmet. Has anyone had experience with these? Anyone got any good designs?
Thanks!
PJ
By pjwings
I know what you mean Red. I also am hesitant about adding a piece of equipment to my setup that includes a line tied to my head, but if it would allow me to fly pain free it's worth looking into. I found this setup by a guy named Andy Long... he's got weak links in his. There's also a thread on the Oz Report forum that's got some pictures.... well I guess all threads on the Oz Report have some pictures, but this one has pictures of a head support AND hot women :)

http://www.andysparkinglot.com/headsupport.htm
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... t&start=20

Ultimately I would prefer a solution that involves some strengthening exercises and perhaps some posture adjustment. I guess a trip to a chiro is in order.

Thanks to all for the input! The members of the .org are outstanding!!
red wrote:pjwings,

Do you sleep with your head on thick pillows now? If your neck is bent forward for half of your life, it may be hard for you to hold it up, the other way, when you are awake and flying.

FWIW, I sleep with two pillows, one on each side of my head, but my head is not on either of the pillows, when I am lying flat on my back, asleep. I only use the pillows when I roll to either side, keeping my neck comfortably straight. This took some "getting used to" for me, but I think you will breathe better when sleeping this way, too.

I would not want my head attached to anything, in a bad landing. You can make your own choices, there, but I'd really want a "weak link" attachment, similar to what tow-pilots use, which is just barely strong enough to hold up my head, if my head had to be on a "leash." The "weak link" should be at the helmet, nowhere else in the line. The "leash" can be thin bungee cord, to give you an easy way to adjust tension, and more freedom to move. This still seems like a dicey proposition, to me, and I would not recommend it.

Check PMs.

:mrgreen:
pjwings wrote:Hey all!

Thanks!
PJ
By bisleybob
i skipped a few posts so sorry if this has been said.

but i think you should try a few othr harnesses. when i changed to my new harness i tried a few.
one i tried was a little short so i lengthened the shoulder straps this offered less shoulder support which in turn put stress in my neck. i got neck ache.

i tried the one i have now and it was gone alo my harness has angle adjustment so on a long flight i can lift my head.

alot of people put colour matching ahead of comfort.

also adgusting the harness can help (the strap from neck to toe, not by the dangle adguster but undoing the knotts and changing the length) as if you hang curved either way this all puts pressure on the neck looks like from your pic to try shortening it an inch. lower leg will be more supported.

imaging laying on a bench on your front then lift your head. however if you did this with your lower legs hanging over one end the time you could hold your head up would be less due to this leg strain.

try adjusting it diffferent ways and hanging in your garden/garage whatever.
Last edited by bisleybob on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pjwings
That's a really neat site. It helped me identify the bird that I saw flying down our driveway a few weeks ago past our chicken coup. Wanna guess? That's right... chicken hawk!!

However the white bird is still a mystery. John is an avian expert... I'm certain he'll know if he ever revisits this thread.

peanuts wrote:
pjwings wrote:That's cool John...

Hey, random question for you... on 2 out my last 3 flights at lookout I've soared with a bird that is all white except for the tail which has a reddish color... very similar to the tail of a ... well, a Red Tail ;). It's about the same size as a fully grown Red Tail as well... at least I think it is, it's difficult to tell without getting close, and I've never gotten close enough to get a really good look. It really stands out from a distance against the wintery landscape colors. Any idea what it could be?

i sometimes see birds that raise my curiosity as well. i found a site by Nat Geo which answers purt near all my questions about avian identity. it's called "backyard bird identifier", and by answering a couple of questions, you can get a right fair ID.
By pjwings
Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. I should try some other harnesses out and see if anything makes a difference. I've adjusted the one I fly with and have had it tweaked by the man who designed it and it fits very comfortably. It also has angle adjustment which does help out, but even angled up I doubt I could do a 4 hour flight.

I read about these guys flying fully heads down during comps doing maybe 6-8 hour flights... jeez!!!

bisleybob wrote:i skipped a few posts so sorry if this has been said.

but i think you should try a few othr harnesses. when i changed to my new harness i tried a few.
one i tried was a little short so i lengthened the shoulder straps this offered less shoulder support which in turn put stress in my neck. i got neck ache.

i tried the one i have now and it was gone alo my harness has angle adjustment so on a long flight i can lift my head.

alot of people put colour matching ahead of comfort.

also adgusting the harness can help as if you hang curved either way this all puts pressure on the neck
By bisleybob
i edeted and added to my post above