Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

Hi Guys,

I am learning to hang glide, and have done an introduction session on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I know, not much there.

Regardless, I plan to go to Lookout Mtn. for a week ,or so, in October and will meet a half dozen of my employees there for their introductory lessons.

Also, I plan to pursue this sport, and I was wondering about a few things:

1: Why do I never see any people hang gliding around our Wilmington, NC beaches? We have plenty of wind here. Actually, Kite Surfing is very popular on our coast.

2: Are there any hang gliding clubs anywhere near me?

Thanks,
Dave
By tinkinator
Welcome to the addiction David! :thumbsup: Today your in luck, as of up to now i have been the only pilot in the area who flys hangliders. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jim Tinkler aka. Tinkinator. I live in Wilmington off College rd. Been flying a little over 3 years. Trained at LMFP. Were planning a trip up to Lookout at the end of Sept. I fly regularly with a club out of Raleigh. with my Scooter tow. Give me a call at 910-520 4548. Jim...
By davidlong
Hey Jim,

Man, that's great! I plan to go spend about a week or two (depending on the weather) at Lookout Mountain just getting into the sport.

I emailed all of my employees about it, and I have responses back from half dozen of them telling me they want to go there too. My wife Janet and I will probably go up early and do the VIP Package (well, me anyway. She says "No way!" Ha!) I'm really looking forward to it.

So, where do you fly around here? You have your own "Tow Ultralight"?

Do you ever fly along the coast with all that wind available? Not enough hills though, I guess.

My cell number is 620-0959. I live off of Porter's Neck Rd., and my company is at the end of Crowatan Rd. in Castle Hayne. We should get to know each other. I don't know how much I will be able to fly, but I'm really wanting to do this. I'd like to see your hang glider too.

I will be on vacation in New England from Sept 8th through Oct 10th. My wife and I have Harleys and a motorcoach to pull them. I plan to go to Lookout Mtn around the 20th of October with my employees.

See ya,
Dave
By davidlong
Hey Jim,

Are you planning to fly this weekend at Holly Shelter airport? If you are I want to try to come see you.

Thanks,
Dave
By tinkinator
H ey David! Cant stop thinkin about it ugh... Thats how it always starts :drool: The weather looks iffy this weekend with that storm off the coast. Chances are Ill probably be doing some surfing for the next 3 days.Sunday morning if your up to it we could head over to Holly Ridge about 7 am for a couple of hours set up the gli der and start you on the basics on handling and running with it. just an idea. Jim.
By davidlong
Man, Jim, that's awfully nice of you to offer, but I have church @ 9:00. Janet and I are in charge of the "Pastor's Reception" after church (our month), so I have to be there for that.

I would definitely like to do this as soon as possible though. I just tried to call your cell, but the message says you're not taking calls right now.

I'm up at my beach house in Surf City right now. I might try to surf a little myself this afternoon. The weather report looks pretty good for Saturday. I could go today (Friday) or Tomorrow anytime. I leave for vacation on Tuesday (day after Labor Day).

I'm thinking of stopping by at Blue Sky Hang Gliding School in Virginia on my way up North, or on the way back home. What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks Buddy!
Dave