Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By AIRTHUG
Rob, for those that didn't have the privilege to know him, was an amazing guy. There was nothing the man couldn't do... with a smile on his face no less.

He always, always, ALWAYS had time to chat, about anything, whether you were a world famous comp pilot or you just took your first tandem flight. His friendly open demeanor and pure charisma made it easy to love the guy...

Oh, and he flew pretty good, too :lol:

This could honestly be one of hang gliding's biggest losses of all time... Rob, you will be missed by the many people who's lives you made a little better, just by being you...

To Trish and Rob's family and friends, I wish you all the strength in the world...
By AIRTHUG
I'm sorry to say I don't have any good photos of Rob, and google hasn't helped out much... if you have a good photo of Rob, why don't you post it here?

Or a funny story about Rob to lighten the mood a little?
By SkyOrDie47
Kells from last summer.

-Stan
Attachments
RobKells.jpg
RobKells.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
By blindrodie
:cry:
By RavenHawk
Fly Rob Fly!

We'll miss you. Thanks for everything you've done for this sport. We need more Rob Kells' in the world today. They'll have big shoes to fill at WW.
By sg
Im still bumming about this. Makes me want to quit my job, get outside, and do some stuff I really enjoy, instead of sitting at a desk inside, every day, doing the same old crap. Who knows how much time we got left. Its freaking me out. I turn 40 this Oct.

Maybe ill quit and open a jiu jitsu school and be poor and happy? Something that will keep me healthy. (I know I know... what about an HG school? I dont think I can actually make a living at that unfortunately)

Hmmmmm a hang gliding park / jiu jitsu school maybe? :rofl:
By AIRTHUG
:ditto: .... I just can't get over it...
sg wrote:I know I know... what about an HG school? I dont think I can actually make a living at that unfortunately
It's not easy, but it can be done. One of the last times I talked to Rob was this winter, and he was telling me to not worry about being a ski bum during the winter, but instead to just enjoy the ride and keep living the dream (I called him after a crazy powder day where I got nothing but 3+ ft of freshies all day long)...

I'll never forget that conversation...

Little known fact about Rob, he was a ski instructor/ski bum in a previous life, before WW... I think he was at Sun Valley, then Vail, if I remember correctly...
By sg
Well one thing is almost for certain, Rob led a life filled with more fun than probably 99% of the population. I know so many techies that do nothing but go to work, code, go home, do nothing, go to sleep and do it all over again the next day.

Ive sat in meetings with new people and they are asked, what INTERESTING things have you done outside of work?

You would be SHOCKED at the answers:
Read a book, knit, go to the movies :shock: Thats living?

When I read off my list, people are shocked.
So im fortunate in that sense, but I still spend well over 80% of my life sitting at a desk.
By HangDiver
I heard about this yesterday.... this is second hand - he apparently went to Switzerland for some type of special treatment, but developed a blood infection and never recovered from that. :(
By FormerFF
sg wrote:Im still bumming about this. Makes me want to quit my job, get outside, and do some stuff I really enjoy, instead of sitting at a desk inside, every day, doing the same old crap. Who knows how much time we got left. Its freaking me out. I turn 40 this Oct.

Maybe ill quit and open a jiu jitsu school and be poor and happy? Something that will keep me healthy. (I know I know... what about an HG school? I dont think I can actually make a living at that unfortunately)

Hmmmmm a hang gliding park / jiu jitsu school maybe? :rofl:
That's the paradox of life. You have to plan like you're going to live until you're 95, but chances are, you won't. Oh well.

Like one of the guys on the bicycle forums says, "Life is a sexually transmitted, fatal condition".
By flakey
Rob in his natural enviroment
Attachments
rob kells.jpg
rob kells.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
By flakey
I just want to add one more thing. I never won any major comps. And I drink to much and shoot my mouth off. But when I walked into the WW shop, Rob treated me like I was SOMEBODY.
By AIRTHUG
HangDiver wrote:I heard about this yesterday.... this is second hand - he apparently went to Switzerland for some type of special treatment, but developed a blood infection and never recovered from that. :(
He, and his Wife Trish, were in Austria for some super-duper-kick-ass treatment... however he developed a full-body infection (sepsis), and that was basically causing his whole body to shut down...

My dad talked to Trish shortly after he passed, and she said he passed peacefully, and with a smile on his face. That is SO Rob...
Last edited by AIRTHUG on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By boarini2003
what sad news. Rest in peace.
By noman
seize the day.It might be your last!.Time is a commodity u cant buy any more of.I did not know rob but i like what he did.RIP. :(
By JR
From the movie, "Braveheart" - Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Rob Kells lived a great life. By his own account, he cheated death on more than one occasion. He was a positive force in our world and will be missed by those of us that he left behind, but I prefer to celebrate his life, rather than mourn his death. And perhaps we will meet him again behind the veil.

In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.

- Robert Ingersoll
By errapi
RIP. :cry:
More Fun on My Sport 3 155

...No excuse for the whack. :roll: Is it […]

Shade made it tough for Tony and I. Lift was very […]

Tough day at the hill. Mike S launched 10 min befo[…]