Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By AlC
The approach to the Andy Jackson Airpark in San Bernardino, CA is threatened by a small number of homes proposed as part of a massive development project immediately to our East. We need your help now with letters to City Planning to move a few acres of open space and protect the site.

Details are at:

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/andy_ja ... _your_help

Thank you,

Alan Crouse
President, Crestline Soaring Society
By bobk
Hey Alan,

Please count me in!! I got a huge portion of my P3 hours there, and Rob's been a great supporter of the Torrey Hawks. I'd be glad to send out any details to our members either in our August newsletter or as a separate message if you'd like.

Could you please post the details here as well (including addresses to write to) so they'll be more convenient for everyone?

Thanks, and let's do what we can to preserve one of the best run biwingual sites that I've ever seen!!

Bob Kuczewski
President - Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club - USHPA Chapter #270
After years of working with the developer, and some helpful modifications along the way, the Draft Environmental Impact Review is out for the proposed development next door. There are still houses planned right in the approach. According to the review that would have "no significant impact". I suppose that's correct if you don't count hitting a house on your downwind.

Public comment runs through Sept 15 and we would like to ask each of you to write a letter of comment and help preserve our site. We've drafted some sample letters, but they're just a start point. Write of how the site affects you; your first flight, the times you've spent here, the international reputation of Andy Jackson. Please ask the city to keep homes out of the approach and have the airspace dedicated to the Department of Water Resources. They own the land we lease for the LZ and are tied to us through the licensing of the Devil's Canyon project.

The good news is that we are impacted by a small number of homes on one of the extreme corners of the development. There is 58% open space on the 404 acre site. We just need the city and the developer to shift a few of those acres into the approach.

Much more information is available at: http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/UniversityHills

Please put your thoughts in the mail to the City. NOW is the best time to comment.

Thank you,

Alan Crouse
President, Crestline Soaring Society
By Windlord
Alan-
Would it be possible to post a Google Map view of the proposed housing
area in relation to the approach?
Darn developers, like this point in time in the economy, we need more homes. :crazy:
By Rob McKenzie
I'm not usually one to use emoticons but I'll try...
:shock: + :sleep: = :surrender: + :cry:
:shock: + :punch: = :mrgreen: + :thumbsup:

If you've ever flown this area or even if you might some day want to fly it, please spend a few minutes to see the CSS Webpage about the development. Then please write a letter. If you are involved with a local club, please send this info to all the pilots in your club. United we stand.

rob
By Windlord
Thanks Rob for the link.
If the houses eventually do take shape in the area, what will happen
is that the home owners will start complaining about these flying wing
thingies flying over their homes. :ahh:
Then the real battle begins for the continuation of the LZ.
By Rick M
My letter is in the mail. I hope it helps.
By AlC
Rick, Thank you for your support!

Letters should be sent to:
City of San Bernardino Development Services Department
Attn: John Oquendo, Assistant Planner
300 North D Street
San Bernardino, CA 92418

We have sample letters available at
http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/UniversityHills

The approach map and an overlay with the proposed homes is available at the same site. There are 2-story homes proposed for the yellow lots and the tan area at the left (below the green park marked "1" with no lot lines) is to be 3-story condos.

Please ask the City to keep the approach clear and dedicate the airspace to the Department of Water Resources.

Alan
Last edited by AlC on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Radwhacker
Rick M wrote:My letter is in the mail. I hope it helps.
:ditto:
By MysticWizard
Windlord wrote: Darn developers, like this point in time in the economy, we need more homes. :crazy:
Yep, crazy it certainly seems.. but most likely the property owner and/or developer (who may have an option on the property) is anxious to get the approval anyway. A "vested" site pre-approved for homes locks in the development rights.. hence, making the property more valuable. And, unfortunately, a predestined threat to us.

Don't know much about this specific situation. but sending letters may really change these plans.. Even more impressive would be a public showing by many hang gliders and interested parties at the meeting when they make a decision (if this gets through the Planning Dept..) and goes to vote.

My letter is in the mail, and I'm getting some relatives to also write letters!

Bill (probably the only CSS member in Boca)
By HangDiver
I will punch one off tonight when I get home. Thanks for posting.
Rich
By designbydave
Just printed mine up, I added a few extra pictures too.

How many should we send? One a day? 2 a week? I'll send a bag full everyday if you guys think its a good idea. I don't really want to harass anyone though...
By Rick M
Rob - you need to give this guy a tandem and show him in real life what this issue is all about. The pcitures in the letters are one thing. For him to experience an approach is another. Have people stand where these houses are proposed to be located so he can see how close things would be. :thumbsup:
By Windlord
Rick M wrote:Rob - you need to give this guy a tandem and show him in real life what this issue is all about. The pcitures in the letters are one thing. For him to experience an approach is another. Have people stand where these houses are proposed to be located so he can see how close things would be. :thumbsup:
One helluva idea Rick! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Get the whoever or whatever on a flight, if at all possible, so he may see why there is a concern.
By AlC
Dave:

These things tend to be 1 per person, but your friends, family, neighbors, anyone who has come out to see you fly or has an interest in preserving the site are fair game.

Maybe you want to try for another record; one more letter every day from now until the comment period closes??

Rick M / Windlord:

On the tandem front, we have rolled out the welcome mat to come visit and watch the approach; or tandem and see it first-hand from the air (big 'Thank you' to Rob & High Adventure) to any Planning Commission member, city staffer working on the project, or member of the developer's planning team. I think we'll get some takers.

- Alan
By Windlord
Just printed my letter up and will be mailed out tomorrow. :thumbsup:
I hope to one day make the trip out there and partake in your flying arena. :thumbsup:
By day dreamer
I had an absolute blast at the fly-in. And to think of it, after flying ten other sites, Crestline is my favorite so far. It is soo dynamic. I owe you guys for the life experience of flying such a wonerful site. I will send a letter as well. This site MUST be saved. This is Rob's pride and joy, and to many others as well. I promise to use spell check and no profanity. :twisted: I hope it goes well for you guys. For the sake of all of us. Flying Crestline is mandatory.
By Lobido
On behalf of the Flying Monkeys Zoning Authority, a letter has been sent.
By knumbknuts
The front of the card I sent 'em:

The LZ is to the left of my thought bubble and the development is in most of the open space to its left.
By HangDiver
Crestline is on my bucket list - I sent mine off. Wonder if we should slip a $10 spot as a bribe? :mrgreen:

Morph info video just posted. https://www.youtube.[…]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Me3srOy7Ac

Waffle iron for GEEKS

it seems like I have to try it. wkwkwk also visit […]

"THERMAL CHASERS"

"THERMAL CHASERS" https://www.youtube.[…]