Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By gerg
Never flown there... Just looking at the pictures...

What prevents a right-hand approach?
By designbydave
gerg wrote:Never flown there... Just looking at the pictures...

What prevents a right-hand approach?
you can do a right hand approach, but its more difficult and there are more obstacles (trees and the ranch house.) The right pattern is also reserved for the PGs. Hangs from the left, PGs from the right. If we all had to fly the right pattern it would get pretty crowded on busy days.
By Wingspan34
I don't know if I'll ever get to AJ flight park, but I just mailed out my letter - just in case. :thumbsup:

I was wondering, though, could someone post a brief video of the approach that would involve the conflict? As usual, not being a local, I have no way to visualize how this proposed project might interfere with flying. Perhaps a link to an existing video with a time index to the relevant approach. Seeing how the problem lays out might get a few more letters mailed. :mrgreen:
By sg
I hope people mention its illegal to fly over houses :shock:
This will also statistically raise the possibility of a fatality by increasing the difficulty and traffic during landing approaches.
Building homes there will literally cause the deaths of X pilots over the following years.
Not to mention, this site is a pilot incubator. Its effect on HG numbers could be felt nationwide.
By noman
i will send mine out to,i hate this s---!. :shock:
By hgnv
:mosh: I have flown there several times... It is a very worthwhile drive from Vegas for several hours of Quality soaring with a fantastic group of pilots and a world class site. :thumbsup: My letter is in the mail... 8)

Any suggestions on how esle can we help ???
By AlC
Hmmm....

Dave & KK have these awesome video skills... Two cameras. HG on approach and from the ground. Cut away to GPS track. 3D magic of where the homes would be. Glider flight path through the house....

I see it all now.....

- Al C
By Wingspan34
AlC wrote:Hmmm....

Dave & KK have these awesome video skills... Two cameras. HG on approach and from the ground. Cut away to GPS track. 3D magic of where the homes would be. Glider flight path through the house....

I see it all now.....

- Al C
AlC,

Your comment makes me wonder if doing up a video of how the problem would manifest itself could be a good idea. Could "virtual" houses be added to a regular video? If so, such a video could be shown to the people who must consider how the current plan will effect flight activities. An animated Google Earth or See You flight track could also work I suspect.
By designbydave
Wingspan34 wrote:
AlC wrote:Hmmm....

I see it all now.....

- Al C
AlC,

Your comment makes me wonder if doing up a video of how the problem would manifest itself could be a good idea. Could "virtual" houses be added to a regular video? If so, such a video could be shown to the people who must consider how the current plan will effect flight activities. An animated Google Earth or See You flight track could also work I suspect.
woh there WS, first you want a video, now you want me to learn 3DStudioMax and Adobe AfterEffects? :wink: Just kidding

I flew with the camera on my Keel today and had the GPS running. I didn't quite do the standard approach as the wind was more West than normal, but I think it will still show how houses would make for a conflict.
By knumbknuts
Oh I've got plenty of vid in the standard approach.

This is probably the best, one camera forward, one (not hi def) facing down.

9:10 in or so....

this one shows why you want that area clear on a strong west day... look at how long those guys were parked over where the houses would be.

By Wingspan34
designbydave wrote: woh there WS, first you want a video, now you want me to learn 3DStudioMax and Adobe AfterEffects? :wink: Just kidding
AlC and I have supplied the 1% inspiration, now you get to add the 99% perspiration part. :mrgreen:

:lol:
By tizeagle
Dropped mine in the slot today! :box:
By billbrick
A really nice site to fly and couldn't be run by a nicer couple than Rob and Diane.
My letter of support is printed, signed and going in tomorrows mail!
All the best! :thumbsup:
By knumbknuts
USHPA comes through like the French Relay Team... Hoo boy, nuttin' says an LZ is important like mixing up its name with a Country Western star.

Nice gesture, appreciate the support, but hope this can get fixed, it may actually tell the planners that the writers don't even know the place, they're just on autopilot when they write. Especially since the site is more colloquially known as Crestline or Marshall.
Attachments
AJfail.jpg
AJfail.jpg (239.1 KiB) Viewed 8545 times
By NMERider
knumbknuts wrote:USHPA comes through like the French Relay Team.......
:roflcat: :roflcat:
By klh
knumbknuts wrote:USHPA comes through like the French Relay Team... Hoo boy, nuttin' says an LZ is important like mixing up its name with a Country Western star.

Nice gesture, appreciate the support, but hope this can get fixed, it may actually tell the planners that the writers don't even know the place, they're just on autopilot when they write. Especially since the site is more colloquially known as Crestline or Marshall.
We could counter that with pointing out that in the planners' "Hazards Hazmat" document they say they've been in contact with "San Bernardino Valley Soaring Association" and that we do hang gliding and "parasailing".
By knumbknuts
klh wrote:
knumbknuts wrote:USHPA comes through like the French Relay Team... Hoo boy, nuttin' says an LZ is important like mixing up its name with a Country Western star.

We could counter that with pointing out that in the planners' "Hazards Hazmat" document they say they've been in contact with "San Bernardino Valley Soaring Association" and that we do hang gliding and "parasailing".
True, true.

Makes you wonder about the accuracy of so many things.

"220, 221... whatever it takes"
By Windlord
Decided to bump this one back in, since there is still time for letters and
public comment. (Sept. 15)
Any new developements so far? :crazy: Any planners go for a flight yet?
Keep us posted! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Windlord on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morph info video just posted. https://www.youtube.[…]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Me3srOy7Ac

Waffle iron for GEEKS

it seems like I have to try it. wkwkwk also visit […]

"THERMAL CHASERS"

"THERMAL CHASERS" https://www.youtube.[…]