Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By sg
I just switched out to a new webserver (software)

I expect bugs to creep in. Please post all bugs here.
QA Testing now....

This puts me in a good position to upgrade to faster hardware in the near future.
By xerxes
New hardware? New OS? Do tell :mrgreen:

P.S. Thanks for all the work man!
By sg
New webserver software. Nginx. Crazy fast.
But bandwidth is max'd out during peak hours so need to move to a new server provider with a better bandwidth contract to really take advantage of it.
By xerxes
Cool, never heard of it. Looks like it's pretty nice if it lives up to it's claims. Good luck!
By Sky_Walker
I see a big difference in the site, its crazy fast on my connection now.

Thanks for all the work SG

:thumbsup:
By sg
xerxes wrote:Cool, never heard of it. Looks like it's pretty nice if it lives up to it's claims. Good luck!
It does. Faster, with a very small memory footprint. Easier to config too, once you get used to it.

I was in regex expression hell all weekend getting it to work with the forum and wiki, etc
By sg
Speaking of which.... crap I broke the wiki!!! On it!
By knumbknuts
Thanks for upgrading again!
By xerxes
sg wrote:
xerxes wrote:Cool, never heard of it. Looks like it's pretty nice if it lives up to it's claims. Good luck!
It does. Faster, with a very small memory footprint. Easier to config too, once you get used to it.

I was in regex expression hell all weekend getting it to work with the forum and wiki, etc

Ahh regex hell. I burned there all this week too. Much worse than dependency hell.

Ima take a serious look at this new fangled web server daemon, that is if the org doesn't crash :lol:

It does seem a bit faster, although my connection is probably the weak link. Maybe I need a strong one :rofl:
By sg
Actually the wiki is working..... just that damn www vs no www glitch again. Really need to get the domain name moved over to fix all these little issues that have been bugging me forever.

Yeah, ive done the research nginx is the new KING.
I did a load test just now (in prod with people using the system) and got 50 transactions per seconds against a php script, thats with 100 concurrent users going full speed, and linux load hit 6.0, perfectly stable. :mosh:

Now just gotta do a hardware migration... and can get back to adding new functionality... wheeeww...
By Windlord
Seems to be outstanding up here in no-mans land.
The only times the Org slows down is when AVG is running a scan and
I'm currently stroking 100.0 Mbps.
Is that good or bad? :crazy:
By flakey
Ok, thanks but is the little spinning yen-yan thing on check PMs ever going to go away?
By sg
flakey wrote:Ok, thanks but is the little spinning yen-yan thing on check PMs ever going to go away?
I wrote a script that fixed that, but you have to PM me to let me know yours is stuck in that state
By flakey
Thanks, fixed
By SarahEmm
Since mid-morning yesterday eastern time, I'm getting a '400 Bad Request' error from nginx when trying to connect to www.hanggliding.org from work. From home it loads fine, which leads me to believe it might be some interaction between our proxy at work and the new web server software. Have you had anyone else report issues like this? I can give times of day that access was attempted and IPs if you want to debug, let me know :)
By sg
Some sites have reported some issues with firefox and nginx when large cookies are present.
I changed a config they recommend.
Let me know if it works tomorrow at work.
By spekkinout
I got that error for a while (since last week roughly) also, strangely not every access attempt, about every other click to open a thread. Then a couple days ago it gave me the error every time, so I cleared cache and cookies, logged back in, and it's been fine since. I use Firefox.
By sg
Yeah, others recommend clearing cookies too.
It seems to be an issue with LARGE cookies.
By Redbeard
had the same problem. cleared my cookies and all is now well. 8)
By SarahEmm
sg wrote:I changed a config they recommend.
Let me know if it works tomorrow at work.
Works fine again now. Thanks SG! :)

Subaxtreme got back to me with good information. […]

La Muela de Alarilla, Spain

Cool place, nice edit! Thanks! I saw in GoogleMa[…]

This was a nice flight in my home site, Haldigrat.[…]

Going to see Bent Knee 6 July 18. Courtney Swain, […]