Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By sg
Ok, I agree with the more posts vs blog thing....

But here is a question.... Im squishing stuff to try to fit it on an average sized screen without having to scroll down.

Is having to scroll down not a big deal?

Can I just make all sections longer, and make the front page MUCH longer??? Is that ok? Im planning on adding MORE stuff to the front page and removing the left menu for more space.

The front page is going to be a little summary "taste" of every section of the website basically.

So can I make it LOOONG? My fear is, the stuff towards the bottom will never be seen.
By PilotGuy
sg wrote:Im squishing stuff to try to fit it on an average sized screen without having to scroll down.

Is having to scroll down not a big deal?
Yo man. What's you definition of 'average sized screen'? I hope you're designing for at least 1024x768, any of that 800x600 crap is for grannies. I don't think scrolling down is too big a deal, just so long as the main stuff that you'll want most often is available without scrolling.

To me that main stuff would include my personal menu on the left, the forum postings front and center, and the menu on the right that includes the wiki and the site guide and such. Since a lot of the stuff on the right is now moving to the top via the tabs, the real estate opened up on the right side of the page can be filled up with enough stuff that I can't imagine scrolling all that often anyway. I hardly ever scroll now on the homepage.

Thanks a ton for all the effort, dude. :hail:
By sg
PilotGuy wrote: Yo man. What's you definition of 'average sized screen'? I hope you're designing for at least 1024x768, any of that 800x600 crap is for grannies.
Yes, im targeting 1024x768+
I don't think scrolling down is too big a deal, just so long as the main stuff that you'll want most often is available without scrolling.
But will it end up totally ignored? Or do I really need to focus making it fit?
To me that main stuff would include my personal menu on the left, the forum postings front and center, and the menu on the right that includes the wiki and the site guide and such.
Moved to tabs.
Since a lot of the stuff on the right is now moving to the top via the tabs, the real estate opened up on the right side of the page can be filled up with enough stuff that I can't imagine scrolling all that often anyway. I hardly ever scroll now on the homepage.
Exactly. That left personal menu will go POOF as soon as I finish migrating the links to good places.

Im thinking about add a MISC or TOOLS tab for all this stuff, including PROFILE, MEMBER LIST, WHOS ONLINE, DIGESTS, IGNORE TOOL, and FUTURE stuff im going to add.
By Southside
SG,

If you're looking to free up space ditch the Shout Box. What purpose does it serve anyway?

A bit OT, and maybe this has already been done and I just can't see it, but when are you we going to be able to donate in one lump sum?

John

Fun day at the hill. A few others showed up. Nice […]

Another day at the local site, bald eagle and a fe[…]

Yes, I was flying my Gecko 155. New wing. Only i[…]

I tried to run the Python script but it only gener[…]