Discuss the news that appears on the front page of this website.

NOTE: New threads may only be created by the admin in this forum.

Moderators: sg, mods

By sg
Please bear with me. I will be tweaking a lot during the next few days and am still working through bugs.

The new layout will make finding things much easier, and I think it looks a lot nicer too :wink:
Last edited by sg on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sg
Please start reporting bugs in this thread after a few days.
Not done rolling out yet...
By jjcote
Not a bug, but I liked having the latest few blog posts on the front page.
By sg
designbydave wrote:
sg wrote:... and I think it looks a lot nicer too :wink:
Everything but the animated "under construction" gifs on the home page. Welcome to 1998 :wink:
Image These are totally bad a*s :mosh:

:mrgreen:
By sg
Its the very next tab that will appear.
But the wiki is giving me the most problems.
Crazy javascript/css issues and conflicting with the tabs.... grrr....

There will be a few more tabs besides the wiki....
Lead Gen, Site Guide, Videos, News, etc
Then will start removing redundant menus and reorging some of the links, etc
By John C
sg,
thank you again for all your good work.
By sg
Ugh, im soooooooooo tired..... but damn, the wiki is looking SWEEEEET :mosh:

Aaaaaalmost there....
By sg
Removed the redundant menus and links :)

Think im calling it a day... wheeew.... well... at least for the challenging stuff.

Please checkout the wiki and report any issues :goodidea:
By sg
jjcote wrote:Not a bug, but I liked having the latest few blog posts on the front page.
Put them back..... the home page will now be a "summary page" of everything going on for the whole site.

Then there will be separate "full blown" page for the forums, blogs, etc, with all the related menus
By red
SG,

When you click on the Thumbs for any rated post, you get the expected window, okay, but with ten headers on top of the window.

These ten headers also appear in the "Topic Review" (under your reply), when you reply to a message or topic.

Did you want that?
By Wingspan34
SG,

I'd like to suggest that the new front page Blog section be reduced some, and the Latest Posts section (also home page) be increased at least a bit closer to what it was.

Reasoning: New blog entries occur once or twice a day, if that. But New Posts are happening all day, every day. With things as is, new posts can be "bumped" off the home page pretty quickly, which will require a member to go searching for them on the Forums page. I, for one, almost never notice which category that a thread is posted under, so that can mean a search of at least a few minutes or more, when an ongoing thread falls off the front page due to newer stuff being posted.

Right now there are 8 places for new posts and 8 for Blog entries. I think a better balance would be 12 (new posts) / 4 (new blogs). That would keep both within the same space.

Finally, GREAT JOB! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS - I'm still waiting for the ability to send you a once a year check to kick in my share of hanggliding.org support funds. :thumbsup:
By Skyhighwoman
SG

You are the best!!!

Overall I like the page format. Very clean I did like it when it showed what forum the post is under.

The donate button still does not have a place for a one time donation. :crazy: All that work dude come on!! :wink:

My plan is still to donate the month subscription which I am but would love to do a one time bigger donation. :mrgreen:

:hail:

Carm
By sg
Im getting there.... I have a lot more free time now. Its coming...
By Wingspan34
SG,

I'd like to suggest that the new front page Blog section be reduced some, and the new home page Latest Posts section be increased at least a bit closer to what it was.

Reasoning: New blog entries occur once or twice a day, if that. But New Posts are happening all day, every day. With things as is, fairly recent posts can be "bumped" off the home page pretty quickly, which will require a member to go searching for them on the Forums page. I, for one, almost never notice which category that a thread is posted under, (also see below) so that can mean a search of at least a few minutes or more - when a thread falls off the front page due to newer stuff being posted.

Right now there are 8 places for new posts and 8 for Blog entries. I think a better balance would be 12 (new posts) / 4 (new blogs). That would keep both within the same space.

Finally, GREAT JOB! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Addition/Edit: I agree with Skyhighwoman that finding new posts that have fallen off the front page is going to be harder now that the original Forum location is missing when the topic originally shows up on the front page.

Also, regarding New Posts vs New Blog entries, the tabs at the top of the screen are great for getting to prior entries. But once again, it's a lot easier to find an older blog entry since there are so many fewer of them as compared to general new thread posts. So, while the front page now gives equal space to both Blog entries and new posts, the much more frequent new post entries will cause recent but not so active threads to fall off the front page, and into the General Forums section at a greater rate. This will lead to more "Where the heck did that thread go that I was interested in?" type of situations. I think that I, for one, will find that frustrating. It's already happened, in fact.
By Rick M
I'll add that I would prefer to see the last 20 posts on the front page. 8 just isn't enough.

I'd also love to see a date/time stamp next to the username indicating the time of the last post in the thread. I never log out, and I never reboot my computer so the little "new post since login" icons don't work for me.

Good job overall SG. Thanks for the effort.
By blindrodie
I'll add that I would prefer to see the last 20 posts on the front page. 8 just isn't enough.
:ditto: 8)
GSSK 2018 vlog

Yes that's correct, any suggestions? Try somet[…]

THE FUTURE OF HANG GLIDING

Verily, it would be cool to see a P-51 thermalling[…]

Flying the greater Bakersfield area from '94--'07,[…]

Nice spring day 3-29-18 -T2C - 4K

Thanks Chris, glad you liked it. No doubt someday […]